Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Rescue Centers

• 20-11-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

We are thinking of 'adopting' a new cat from a rescue center.

If forum rules allow, could you recommend some places? If not allowed, could you possibly PM me? I know some vaccinate and neuter whereas others only neuter.

We are based in Dublin, and I have contacted one place this evening to get the ball rolling.

On a related note, has anyone done this before with existing cats already in the house? I know my parents have taken in random cats that have turned up at the door and it has always worked out well, just worried when it comes to my own! :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    Just to clarify that it is against the forum charter to post names or links to rescue groups. It is okay for people to PM you though.
    As for adopting a cat into a home with a resident cat, there are quite a few threads in the forum on the topic if you run a search, but also, there are a number of posters here with excellent cat knowledge, who will hopefully come aloing here and offer you tips!
    Good luck with your mission :)
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When it comes to taking in new cats, quarantine is very important. Keep them separate from your own cat unless you know for sure if they are FIV/FeLV free (this can be done with a simple blood test, the rescue might have it done already!) And also keep them separate for at least a week to 10 days to allow any signs of cat flu, worms etc to show up in case they are incubating it. I would go for a rescue that vaccinates, worms and neutered as opposed to one that just does one or the other. It still works out cheaper getting one from a rescue with this done than picking up a free kitten and doing it yourself!
    When it comes to the time for introductions once all medically clear, allow them to smell each other underneath a door (assuming all are indoor, bathroom would be a good place to keep the new kitty!). Don't go throwing them among each other straight away, swap bedding for a few days (again, once medically alright) so they get used to each others smell and have the other cats smell on themselves.
    After roughly a week, or however long it takes until they are both bored by the new smells coming in, allow them to see each other but not get at each other so for example put up a baby gate. Keep this up (I know it can be hard because cats can jump, but it doesn't have to be a baby gate, anything they can see/smell/touch noses through) until they are bored with each other again, then allow them to integrate together. It might be a good idea to have some catnip leaves sprinkles around, or a mutual toy such as a feather on a stick to play with to encourage them to play together.
    Make sure there are plenty of high places to escape, and don't restrict the resident cat's access to his favorite haunts. I hope it all works out in the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Thanks DBB, I did have a feeling it wasn't allowed! Sorry!

The current cats are not totally indoor cats, they do go out and about on their jaunts each day. So I suppose in that respect, we can let those two out and then let the new one wander around the house for a bit and have a smell about.

When you say swap bedding, do you mean give new cat old cats bed and vice versa? Then change back again?

I am a little worried about our existing ones, one incredibly grumpy but only hisses at other cats, the other one extremely friendly but growls and meows at other cats!

Do you think it matters to get a male or female - current cats are both male.

I think you may have a point about having both vaccinations and neutering done, my parents adopted two cats / kittens from a rescue center and both ended up having leukemia and had to be pts. And again a good point for keeping them separate.

Thanks for your reply! Will post some pics if we decide to go down this route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

blueturnip wrote: »
    Thanks DBB, I did have a feeling it wasn't allowed! Sorry!

The current cats are not totally indoor cats, they do go out and about on their jaunts each day. So I suppose in that respect, we can let those two out and then let the new one wander around the house for a bit and have a smell about.

When you say swap bedding, do you mean give new cat old cats bed and vice versa? Then change back again?

I am a little worried about our existing ones, one incredibly grumpy but only hisses at other cats, the other one extremely friendly but growls and meows at other cats!

Do you think it matters to get a male or female - current cats are both male.

I think you may have a point about having both vaccinations and neutering done, my parents adopted two cats / kittens from a rescue center and both ended up having leukemia and had to be pts. And again a good point for keeping them separate.

Thanks for your reply! Will post some pics if we decide to go down this route!

Yup that's what I mean about the bedding, or you could even put down a blanket on top of their usual bedding and keep swapping those if you don't want to disrupt the usual bedding.

As for male/female, if your cat has shown any preferences, go for that one! One of my cats absolutely despises other females and will try to kill them, but she is really flirty with males. My male is also flirty with males... I do worry! But in your case if they don't like any other cats, I would say a female would be best so thee is no new testosterone being introduced!

Sorry to hear about the kitties with leukemia, it's such a heartbreaking diagnosis! Hope all goes well if you do get the new kitty though :)

So picked up little Lily from a rescue place today! :)

She is a delightful little thing! Nosy too!

All cats have seen each other, hissed at each other and gone about their own business.

We are going to keep her away from the other two for a while unless we are there supervising.

Will take her to our vets next weekend for a checkup.

Will post some pictures in a while, it would be rude not to! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Awwwwww, how lucky is little Lily! :o Cats are addictive, aren't they? :D

Ok so here she is:

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Seems to be settling in quite well. Other cats not too impressed at all, but she seems very happy so far! Nuts also! :)

Thanks all for the PMs etc and sound advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Gorgeous tortie girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh she is so beautiful:)

Advertisement