Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post office good or bad buy

Options
  • 20-11-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi I'm wondering if someone can help me a post office/small local shop is up for sale and the add says post office salary just wondering if any one knows how much this would be and also are post offices in rural areas in danger of closing down. I'm worried that I'll buy it and the post office will be gone and I'll be left with a rural shop with no angle to get people into my shop. I have it in the back of my head that post offices were going to become busier not sure where I got this. Am I deluded ? Any one with some knowledge on post office work and paid help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

It's ten years since I was involved but the Post Master's salary used to be based on the business it does in a year. This could be a lot if based in a busy town (but you'll have to pay staff in that case), or it could be very little in a small village.

Plus, even though the current PM can sell you the premises etc, you're still not guaranteed than An Post will hire you as the PM. It's pretty likely that they will as long as you have a clean background, but keep it in mind.

Anyway, like I said, ten years ago since I was involved but have no intention of ever going back. Hated every minute of it, but that's as much about me as anything else. Might suit you down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check why it's being sold, and the age of the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

This Post office is still for sale what anyone know what the salary for a rural post office would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Ask the estate agent the earnings for the last 3 years.

Perfectly reasonable question to ask when buying a business.

Advertisement