Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Project Maths quarries?!

Options
  • 20-11-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hello, I'm new here.
    I will be doing Junior Cert in June 2013. I am pretty confused about project maths that my school is doing. Can't I do normal Higher Level maths, not some project maths? I changed schools and in this new school I found out I have to do project maths. During the actual exam I think I have to do normal Higher Level paper as Paper 1 and then project maths higher level Paper 2, or is it the other way around. What is this phrase 1,2 ,3,4? Do you know which one I have to do? So confused!Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Everybody is doing some of the new "project maths" syllabus in 2013. The only question is whether you are doing some of it or all of it.

The syllabus is divided into 5 strands. It is being brought in in 3 phases.

Most schools are at Phase 1 for their JC exams of 2013, which involves strands 1 and 2 of the the new syllabus (paper 2, basically), with the rest of the syllabus being the same as before (paper 1).

A group of "initial schools" are on Phase 3 in their JC exams of 2013, so they are doing all five strands of the new syllabus, and none of the old one, so both of their papers are new.

The list of initial schools is here: http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/PM_School_List.pdf

If you are in a school on this list, you're doing Phase 3. If it's not, then you're doing Phase 1.

The sample papers are available here: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma. However, I would suggest not to worry about that at this stage. Instead, you should be guided by your teacher as to what to study and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Ok, that was really helpful! Thank you, I'll be doing the old syllabus for paper 1 and strands1+2 for paper 2. Thank you again!

Advertisement