Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Level School Timetables

• 20-11-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am doing a project for college which is related to education and learning. I wanted to know what is the norm for school timetables. e.g. how many class periods in a day and how long is allocated to each class. Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

27061986a wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am doing a project for college which is related to education and learning. I wanted to know what is the norm for school timetables. e.g. how many class periods in a day and how long is allocated to each class. Looking forward to your replies.

The minimum amount of class contact hours per week for a student is 28 hours. Most schools will just do that.I would imagine that most schools do 9 classes in the day. The length of the classes and the number of classes per day is often dictated by the length of lunch break, starting and finishing times, whether there is a half-day/early-finish one day of the week (for sports), etc so there is no answer that is the "norm". Most schools would have classes anywhere from 30-45 mins long. In my school we have 30, 35, 40 & 45 min classes, depending on the day and the time of day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have 28 hour long classes a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

As was said it varies from school to school.

In one school in the past each class was 37 minutes long.

Another school all 40mins 9 classes a day 5 days a week.

My old school now only have 6 classes on a Wednesday but all 40 mins each every day.

Other schools 35mins in the morning 40 the rest.

Most do 3, 3, and 3 classes between the breaks, some I have seen do 3, 2 and 4 classes.

Varies dramatically from school to school but as was said above it works around a min of 28hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We have a 28 hour per week timetable also.
    8 periods per day 5 of these are 40 mins and 3 are 45 minutes.
    (9 periods would be better as we are short periods in first year and cant have 2 periods for PE in any year as a result).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We used to do 30 hours a week of 9 classes a day, 40 minutes each, split 3, 3,3 .

Now we do 28 hours a week of 35 minute classes. 10 classes Mon-Wed split 3/4/2 and Thursday/Friday 9 each 3/3/3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

We do 29 hours a week broken into 9 periods per day. Almost all classes are 40 minutes but a few are 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Armelodie wrote: »

Looks like there's no norm...

we do straight 40 min classes 9 periods a day. except wednesday (6 periods!)
    We're the same.

Advertisement