Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Autumn Sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Add Hotline Miami and Civ5 gods and kings to steams growing list of victories against me this week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

have you played stalker?

play stalker

Its on my todo list now... along with Metro and a heap loads of other stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Sorry if this has been asked before but a quick search didn't find it...

If a game on Steam is cheaper in the US than here, would I be OK using a VPN to disguise my IP address and pickup a bargain, or would I subsequently get caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

fatgav wrote: »

If a game on Steam is cheaper in the US than here, would I be OK using a VPN to disguise my IP address and pickup a bargain, or would I subsequently get caught?

Taken from their Subscriber Agreement
    You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Taken from their Subscriber Agreement

Can you get someone from that country to gift it to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

fatgav wrote: »

Valve take a very harsh line on using a VPN to circumvent the regional pricing in their store, and judging by the steam forums forums have handed out countless bans in the past to those caught. If you do this they will at the very least remove the game and may well even ban the account.

On the other hand currently they don't appear to be quite as bothered about people using one to unlock a game a few days early (provided it has been bought in the correct region in the first place). But is also a breach of the subscriber agreement which could potentially also result in a ban (Although I have never seen this actually happen).
    Can you get someone from that country to gift it to you?

Its fine unless they suspect it is a commercial transaction (ie somebody was suspiciously giving out out hundreds of 'gifts'), or if there is a region lock on the game itself (A gifted Russian version of many games would be useless to you in Ireland for example).

I have never heard of any game implementing region locking between the US and Europe so there should never a problem gifting between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ouch my wallet

picked up:

Max Payne 3: Enjoyable blasting fun and quite pretty

LA NOIRE: I'd enjoy it more if the lead wasnt such an insufferable a**hole that I want to punch everytime he speaks

Metro 2033: Love the atmosphere, but it can be buggy

Quantum Connundrum & Gods and Kings...Have not played either of these yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've managed to be strong so far and not buy anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Slightly off topic, but given how much i've spent on Steam sales, i figured here's as good a place to ask as any.

Will the games i've already bought in Steam be available from anywhere? As in if I move to another country, will i still be able to download them? And is my Steam account tied to the country i'm currently in, or to my credit card. Just going to be moving abroad in a few months, and wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Kiith wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but given how much i've spent on Steam sales, i figured here's as good a place to ask as any.

Will the games i've already bought in Steam be available from anywhere? As in if I move to another country, will i still be able to download them? And is my Steam account tied to the country i'm currently in, or to my credit card. Just going to be moving abroad in a few months, and wondering.

Yes it should be fine, steam will detect you are in a diff location and will ask you to verify your email, that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So what are the flash deals from this morning? At work so can't check. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Orcs must die II or Torchlight II?

Word Revolution - £8.03
    Tony Hawks HD - £4.49
    Universe Sandbox - £1.74

Show's in sterling for me in work for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Manach wrote: »
    Orcs must die II or Torchlight II?
    Both? Orc was down by 75% earlier at 2.49 and Torch was down 50% to 9.95 so I'd expect a repeat sale at Christmas anyway (I was tempted by Torchlight but I don't have the time to play it yet (beyond the existing list of games to be played) so I'll wait for a 75% sale).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Avoid Tony Hawk's HD like the plague. Worms Revolution is decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

Everything I wanted has been 75% off. My credit card balance is not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dammit, didn't realise Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion was a standalone game and missed it at €7.50.

Gotten The Walking Dead, Max Payne 2/3, To The Moon and Mirrors Edge so far. Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Got Metro 2033 for €2.50 the other day. Enjoying it so far, very atmospheric and looks great. Mouse is fairly jaggedy though but that's a minor quiff for something that cheap.

Also got the Thief collection for a tenner, as soon as I started up Thief 1 I was flung back into the 90's remembering my trusty ol' Gateway PII 350mhz machine:
    mind-blown.gif

Been spending most my time on Episodes from Liberty City; TBoGT, won't touch Lost & Damned until I finish this. Enjoying this much more than regular GTAIV, which I found too drab and dull to keep my attention. Plus, I've been playing it with a 1st person mod which makes the city feel much, much larger as you stroll down the street looking up at the skyscrapers. :pac:

Might pick up Killing Floor since it's a fiver and a lot of my old community from L4D are playing it regularly.

Christ, all these and FarCry 3 at the end of the week should keep me somewhat entertained for a small while. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Tropico 4 - 80% off

€14 with all the DLC and the expansion pack

• Advertisement

Ahh, very tempted by the GTA4 pack and Crusader Kings 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Syndicate [Download] on amazon.com is $4.99 so around 4 Euro...Activates on Origin

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Oh dear,

I've already spent more than I'd have liked but I'm very tempted by the Tropico 4 deal.

Is it worth picking up if you've never played the series, and if so, which DLC should be bought?

Firehen wrote: »
    Oh dear,

I've already spent more than I'd have liked but I'm very tempted by the Tropico 4 deal.

Is it worth picking up if you've never played the series, and if so, which DLC should be bought?

I was going to buy it and Worms Revolution. Had them in the cart and all. I decided against it though. Worms wasn't a big enough discount for me. Tropico 4 had too much DLC and the expansion to add on. I bought Tropico 3 last year and from what I understand they haven't fixed some of the annoying bugs. I'd invest in other games to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

which bugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MagicSean wrote: »
    I was going to buy it and Worms Revolution. Had them in the cart and all. I decided against it though. Worms wasn't a big enough discount for me. Tropico 4 had too much DLC and the expansion to add on. I bought Tropico 3 last year and from what I understand they haven't fixed some of the annoying bugs. I'd invest in other games to be honest.

Bugs? Tropico 4 is a fantastic game. I got sooooany hours out of it and I stil got a whole expansion to finish. For that price as it was with all add ons it was a must buy. Great game, great sence of humor.

which bugs?

Stuff not getting built for one thing. Maybe it's just a bad game mechanic but waiting a year for something to be built was just ridiculous.

Bugs? Tropico 4 is a fantastic game. I got sooooany hours out of it and I stil got a whole expansion to finish. For that price as it was with all add ons it was a must buy. Great game, great sence of humor.

Really? Ah crap, now I have to buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So today is the last day thank god. I couldn't resist Sniper Elite V2 at 75% off. I would have bought Dishonored too only I'm fairly certain it will go cheap again in the next sale in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MagicSean wrote: »
    Stuff not getting built for one thing. Maybe it's just a bad game mechanic but waiting a year for something to be built was just ridiculous.

It's a game mechanic (a rather stereotypical one at that :P), but T4 has instabuild for extra fees now.

For 6 euro its definitely worth it. DLC isn't great to be honest, it somewhat ruins the games character.

Everything bar MW3 are recommended purchases on today's final day deals.

Overall I think the quality of the sale has been much higher than the previous ones. Thoughts?

Advertisement