Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Host (2012)

Options
  • 20-11-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Stumbled across this trailer thinking the Americans had finally gotten around to remaking that fun Korean creature feature from 2006. Nope, it's actually Stephanie Myer's take on an alien invasion/occupation story in a similar style to Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Now, I generally am not one to overreact to a trailer, but this looks like the worst excuse for a film I have seen in a long time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Probably has body snatchers that sparkle in the sun or some sh1te.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Probably has body snatchers that sparkle in the sun or some sh1te.

Or body snatchers that only snatch vegetables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pffh, if it's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, will there be freaky human-headed dogs?

Looks achingly dull tbh; I'm going to go ahead and guess that Ronan's character hangs on to her humanity through the love for her manbot3000? Aliens learn that maybe these squishy human emotions aren't so bad etc et.

Mind you, I guess I'm just not anywhere near the target audience for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Or body snatchers that only snatch vegetables.

or body snatchers who don't actually snatch bodies, but sneak into their rooms and watch them sleeping for a few months to show how romantic, NOT psychotic they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This topic had me really worried, I really love the host. The Korean one though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the upside, the thread did remind me to rewatch The Host; been an age since the first time & it was a quality Creature Feature allright. I'm a sucker for mutated monsters on a rampage *wistful sigh*

Now that you mention it, I've been meaning to watch that other "The Host". Cheers for the reminder, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The source material is extremely dull, I cannot imagine this will be any better and it certainly won't be as popular with teens as Twilight was.

Derailing the thread a little bit, but talk about coincidence; I just this moment came across news of a sequel to The Korean Host. Result.

http://io9.com/5962353/first-glimpse-of-the-all+new-monster-rampage-from-the-host-2?post=54480199

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pixelburp wrote: »
    Derailing the thread a little bit, but talk about coincidence; I just this moment came across news of a sequel to The Korean Host. Result.

http://io9.com/5962353/first-glimpse-of-the-all+new-monster-rampage-from-the-host-2?post=54480199

That looks awesome. Amazing special effects! :eek:
    I hereby say we only talk about The Host 2 and conveniently ignore the trailer from the OP! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm, Bong Joon-ho isn't involved in this so I'll be approaching it with caution. Hopefully the film won't lose the character and thematic depth of its predecessor - the reason The Host works is because it's much more than your average monster movie. Alas, a two minute action clip - with mandatory slow motion running towards camera - can't really indicate whether the sequel will follow-up from its sequel where it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Galvasean wrote: »
    Stumbled across this trailer thinking the Americans had finally gotten around to remaking that fun Korean creature feature from 2006. Nope, it's actually Stephanie Myer's take on an alien invasion/occupation story in a similar style to Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Now, I generally am not one to overreact to a trailer, but this looks like the worst excuse for a film I have seen in a long time...

This will no doubt end the exact same way as Twilight....with a paedophile

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jesus that looks horrible just a film to cash in on the Twilight starved teenage girls.

But one good thing about this thread a Host sequel ill be keeping an eye on that I loved the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Saoirse Ronan the new K-Stew :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

WOW, Awesome Thanks for posting , I can not believe I have seen that footage from.

Looks as good as the first!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THe reviews for this are making the Twilight films look critically acclaimed. I hope it doesn't desroy Saoirse Ronan's career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

The movie gets panned but She gets thumbs up for her performance in most of the reviews however. It can only add to her fanbase and widespread appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

went to see this with my niece. you guys basically summed it up in the first 2 posts.

invasion of the twilight snatchers.

they do sparkle.

it was terrible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    THe reviews for this are making the Twilight films look critically acclaimed. I hope it doesn't desroy Saoirse Ronan's career.

Most of the reviews are basically "Saoirse Ronan is too good for this s**t." I actually read one where it said that they had to have her play emotional scenes opposite herself because it was the only way anyone could match how good she was :D

I think she'll be fine.

Advertisement