Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door charities?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Malari wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pushy and annoying but they are trained not to just accept it when someone says no.

I have to agree 10000% on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Anyone calling to my home looking for money (for whatever cause) can f*ck right off.

No time for it.

You shouldn't have to put with that at home. You get in from work, you relax, maybe you're making dinner, you want to watch something on TV...you don't stranger knocking on your door asking for money! Well, I certainly don't.

I know how to make donations to charity if I so wish, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Malari wrote: »

He's not gonna make a sale that way. He was just using classic sales lines. Your housemate was giving him an "in". Yeah, it's pushy and annoying but they are trained not to just accept it when someone says no.

No means no. Not try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ah go on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It means no to the person saying no, but they have to sound like they mean it. :D

I've never had a problem with chuggers or people selling anything. I get it every day nearly in work and you just have to be firm and polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't know the name of the organization - but someone came by my door collecting money for 'starving' kids in Africa.

I spent a solid 30 minutes asking him questions about the moral implications of charity and the unintended consequences. Poor guy. After a while, I think he wanted to leave, he just didn't know how to end the conversation.
    Him: '20,000 children starve to death EVERY DAY! We help by giving them food and...'
    Me: 'And how does that work? The food, you just give it away'
    Him: 'Umm, yeah, it helps feed the starving children. We also do...'
    Me: 'So wait, I'm sorry. How does that help local farmers?'
    Him: 'Farmers??? Umm, well anyone can get the food if they need it'
    Me: 'Yes - but what about the farmers who grow crops and need to sell it in order to make a living. Doesn't giving away free food have a significant (and negative) impact on the farmers?
    Him: 'I don't know really'
    Me: 'Generally speaking, if you increase the supply of something, where does the price go?'
    Him: *stare*
    Me: 'Down. Prices go down'
    Him: 'Surely feeding people is good, wouldn't you agree'
    Me: 'No. What happens when you stop feeding them? You've just put all their farmers out of business. They're less self-sufficient than ever.'

After a bunch of chatting I finally said, 'Well, I might not agree with what your doing, but I really respect that you are out here trying to make a difference. Hang on a second, I'm sure I can spare something for you....'

Then I came back from my Kitchen with a few bags of flour and canned goods.

Apparently, starving people don't want food from my Kitchen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

spaceylou wrote: »
    Threads like this always elicit a mixture of rage and amusement from me. I especially love the warped logic of the person who'll give change to a homeless person (not saying anything wrong with that) but not to a charity. Give a homeless person a euro, it won't last them very long, even if you are doing it every week it will have a minimal effect. Give 52 euro to a homeless charity every year and they can use it, (admitedly along with other donations from other people) to create programmes to assist homeless people make the transition back to having a home, to lobby the government on policy that impacts on homelessness, to provide emergency services to homeless people etc etc...but sure we couldn't be giving to a charity because they 'waste' money employing people who've gone to college to acquire the skills to help people with serious problems. Those people should give their time for free, no matter that they also need to live, buy groceries, pay rent/mortgage, possibly student loans!

And please don't get me wrong, I don't think that people working for charities should have massive incomes but I think that this notion that charities can operate with no paid staff is daft. We want our charities to be accountable, to keep good records of where the money goes, who they've helped, maybe conduct some research into how we can do things better, help more people or nip issues in the bud so that more serious interventions are not needed further down the road and you can't do that sort of thing without a dedicated staff.

And as for the door-to-door guys, not my favourite either, no matter if they are from a charity or selling me something, but being rude to them is not necessary. A firm, no thanks I am not interested and closing the door, or walking on if talking about on-street guys is all that is needed. You get on with your day, they get on with theirs and their job. And like another person said, there are certain time limits e.g. no calling after 9 so if someone does call outside those hours, ring the charity to complain - they will appricate the feedback.

Rant over, thanks for reading :)

I won't donate to any charity that employees someone who earns more than me. Certainly, if they cared as much as they should, they'd free up funds by taking a smaller salary.

Why should I help them out by giving them money if the people running the show have more money than me? That's like me standing in front of you with five large pizzas and asking you to give me a slice of yours.

If I give a euro to a homeless guy, I can be reasonably confident that I have a better standard of living than he does. Even if he's a scammer, he's still spending his days on the street, looking and smelling the part.

But that's just my personal take. I actually have a lot of respect for the people who donate to charities and their motivations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Thank f*ck for the blurred window inn the middle of my front door,take a quick peek and just head back into the living room.

I remember about 7 or 8 months ago, I opened the door to two people from Barnardos, who didn't even ask me was I interested, just went into statistics and asked how do you feel about that ?

Told them to ring me on me mobile for the bank details and never answered when they rang.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Another thing I spotted, not a charity.
    In the train station in Cork, I was getting off the Dublin train at rush hour and the "Lyca mobile" crowd were getting in people's way. This went on for a week or two. They were hassling people outside the platforms and I was surprised the train station let it happen to be quite honest. It was a disgrace!
    And they were in town too. One guy continued to walk backwards infront of me shoving a leaflet in my face?!

WTF! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Just had two people from Unicef there at the door. My dad answered it and the first thing one of them said was "Don't worry we are not selling anything!" then proceeded to say how they were trying to raise money for food and supplies for poor kids etc. She said "our target is a million pounds, you wouldn't have that lying around would you??"
    she said some of our neighbours were very generous and signed up to donate £2 a week, and if we would like to give our bank details. My dad said no, but he would give them a few pounds now if they wanted. "no thanks, we can't take cash"

surely the million target would be easier reached if they took one-off donations from people?

I would NEVER give my bank details to anybody, no matter how good the cause was. Plus after reading this thread it sounds like these door to door people get better pay than me and my dad put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

The conversation generally goes like this with me:

Me: " Before you start I won't be buying anything mate. Ill stand here and listen to what you say out of courtesy if you wish but I don't want to waste your time. You have a hard enough job as it is."

If he's selling something then usually they give me a confused "Ehhhh.... Okay. Thanks anyway."

When they are charities however they are a bit more difficult. But inevitably I tell them I won't be passing on my bank details to someone who just randomly knocks at my door regardless of whether he has a fancy blue bib and id badge. Usually works.

Polite and effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

When concern come to the door I ask them do they know how much the CEO of concern earns every year. If they don't I tell them to luck it up and ask him for a donation.

Your just paying for big salaries at the top like any corporation. Very little actually goes to those who really need it.

Jesus CHRIIIIIIIIIIST! There was a fella knocking door to door there collecting for an outreach programme... AHHHHH!

Here's my response next time:
    Hey, I tell ya what I'm gonna give you...I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead!
    1... 2... 10!

*bangers for effect*

Keep the change, ya filthy animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

UCDVet wrote: »
    I won't donate to any charity that employees someone who earns more than me. Certainly, if they cared as much as they should, they'd free up funds by taking a smaller salary.

Why should I help them out by giving them money if the people running the show have more money than me? That's like me standing in front of you with five large pizzas and asking you to give me a slice of yours.

If I give a euro to a homeless guy, I can be reasonably confident that I have a better standard of living than he does. Even if he's a scammer, he's still spending his days on the street, looking and smelling the part.

But that's just my personal take. I actually have a lot of respect for the people who donate to charities and their motivations.

Obviously I have no idea how much you earn so can't compare your income against average income in the charity and ngo sector but I don't know anyone working in the sector who is in it for the money. For MOST (won't say all, cause someone is bound to know the exception to the rule) the days of inflated salaries are rightly over.

However, I don't think everyone working for a charity should be on minimum wage or similar. Generally wouldn't expect doctors or nurses to be on minimum wage and they are other examples of professions which are about helping people etc and yet anyone in the charity sector constantly has to listen to people more or less imply that we should be doing it for free!

As for the single euro to the homeless guy example, I appricate that you know instantly that it is going to him, and I am not saying that it doesn't make a difference that day to that individual - obviously it does. Especially if a number of people do similar but I guess I would rather fund something that is more sustainable, and attempting to address root problems rather than symptoms - but that is just a personal perspective and in reality there is a need for funding/resources for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

A few things;

* Knocking after 9pm is illegal. So it shouldn't be happening too often.

* Why would you stop giving to a charity because one employee was rude to you? What does that employee's likability have to do with your support of the cause (whether its tackling homelessness, famine, whatever) itself? Pretty petty. An individual door knocker could be a lousy person, for sure. But why punish an entire organization, and the vulnerable people they are supporting, over one bad experience?

* Taking joy in being excessively rude to a door knocker is pretty pathetic. They are just a person doing a job, and its usually for a good cause, why be unpleasant? You can say know and still have it be a pleasant experience for you both. Just be a normal person! You can really throw someone off for the day by being a dick.

* To the poster who's Dad offered the door knocker cash; it would have been illegal for them to accept your Dad's money without a license. Your Dad could have called the police on them.

* I fully support people doing volunteer work. A lot of good than be done locally, and I agree it requires a lot more effort than just throwing a coin in a bucket. But you've got to understand for groups like Concern who are trying to tackle massive problems like say the famine in the Horn of Africa, its a huge undertaking and a full time job. People need to be paid for their time. The worst famine in 100 years isn't going to be solved by a bake sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

* Why would you stop giving to a charity because one employee was rude to you? What does that employee's likability have to do with your support of the cause (whether its tackling homelessness, famine, whatever) itself? Pretty petty. An individual door knocker could be a lousy person, for sure. But why punish an entire organization, and the vulnerable people they are supporting, over one bad experience?

Employees are representatives of their organization, if they act in an unethical manner it is a direct reflection on the company they work for and the culture that exists in the org.

This is actually a well taught principle in business, so you would think the charities would do everything within their power to nip it in the bud.

No i cant understand some of the wages that are paid in the charitable sector i don't believe allot do which is why more people are switching for little things on the door step because it all adds up to an unethical image of greed and caring more about getting paid than the people they are supposed to be looking after.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Employees are representatives of their organization, if they act in an unethical manner it is a direct reflection on the company they work for and the culture that exists in the org.

This. ^ +1

If a staff member of a shop started intimidating you and challenging you for not buying an item - would you be keen to do business with them?

We've had countless knocks on the door by representatives in the evenings as we live in a big estate. Majority of them were rude and challenging - throwing facts at us about whatever charity.

These are peoples homes? People want to close the door behind them for peace and quiet. As said, it's a step too far.

It would interesting to see if rep's of these companies would be as willing themselves if they were in the homeowners shoes answering the door at 8-9pm all while trying to have a dinner and relax after working all day.

A stop should be put to it if you ask me!!

That goes for charities and sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

You know what? I release the hounds on every charity that comes to the door. Feed the Chicken, Save the Whales, even Release The Hounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My neighbour put a sign on his door last election time - small & discreet & beside the bell.

Please ~
    No canvassers
    No airtricity
    No charities
    No sales callers

Friends & Family only.

Works a treat here too.
    No more endless knocking.

Dosnt stop the kids knocking for lines for school thou....! Theres a lot of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

The trick is to answer the door in tightie wighties, a playboy magazine in one hand, and a can of beans in the other.

Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

A few things;

* Why would you stop giving to a charity because one employee was rude to you? What does that employee's likability have to do with your support of the cause (whether its tackling homelessness, famine, whatever) itself?

its a huge undertaking and a full time job. People need to be paid for their time. The worst famine in 100 years isn't going to be solved by a bake sale.

So should we treat them as a group of people just doing their best for a good cause, or as an organised, professional company — pick one or the other.

Advertisement