Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

main difference between the 4, the 4S and the 5?

• 21-11-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Relatively speaking is there any major differences between the 4, the 4S and the 5?

From what I can see, the only difference between the 4 and the 4S is the seri function.

Going from the 4S to the five bring a few differences including, lighter in weight, bigger screen, better colour saturation, different maps, and ISO 6.

The reason I am wondering simply is ill be buying apple soon as my contract is ended with my old phone.

The handsets are all differently priced when getting a new contract. The standard 4 is free, the 4S will cost me 39 euros and the 5 will cost 139 euros.

From what I can see, I cant even justify getting the 4S over the standard 4 having no interest in the seri function. Also, I don't see any major benefits to the 5 that the rest don't all ready have. So far I have heard people complaining about the maps soo much the one of the heads of apple pretty much told people to go back using google maps. Also the screen resolution / size on the 5 is still not compatible with most of the new apps and leaves two blank bars, both on top of bottom of the screen, hence rendering the bigger screen in the 5 kinda obsolete!?!

Is there any real ground breaking features that the 4S or the 5 has over the standard 4 that I am failing to see?

Would it really make any sense to be forking out money for the 4s or the 5 on my new contract when I have no intention of using the seri function, would it be best to just go with the standard 4?

Any input welcome,
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I presume your on 3 without those upgrade prices. The 5 does feel a lot lighter so much so that the 4/4s feels like a brick in comparison. I'd have the same reservations about the screen size and apps but that's only going to improve. The maps are dreadful, utterly useless and will get you lost. Android wins hands down if you want good navigation on your phone. I use the Tom Tom app on the 5 and its good but expensive.
    I think if you buy the 5 now you might be a little ahead of the curve but if you get the 4s it will feel very old in 24mts. I'd go with the 5 I've had it since launch and it hasn't skipped a best. If you pay the 139 your still saving 540 euro on the apple price.
    The 5 will also work as far as I know on 3's 4G network when it launches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Go for the iPhone 5 if only for the following reasons

So light and nice to hold
    So Much faster and slicker
    Far better camera than on the 4
    Most of the main apps are now optimised for the big screen and makes reading and watching video so much better

Don't make maps part of you decision as:
    IOS6 is on the 4 and 4s also so new maps there also
    Apple maps is nowhere near as bad as reported, and is actually great for turn by turn directions.
    Google will have its own Maps app on iPhone before the end of the year just like the Nokia maps that is available on IOS now

Also other factors
    iPhone 4 will lose out on features for future updates such as ios7
    There are already some apps (mostly games) that require a minimum of a iPhone 5 or 4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its really not that hard to find the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Model_comparison
    http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_4s_over_iphone_4-review-664.php
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-5-vs-iPhone-4S-10-Reasons-the-New-Smartphone-Wins-Out-624326/

iPhone 4S over iPhone 4
    Reasons to buy iPhone 4S:
    Dual-core processor and 7x more powerful GPU
    Siri natural language commands and dictation engine
    8MP camera with improved low-light performance and capture speed
    1080p video capture with stabilization
    GSM/CDMA dual-mode device
    No more death grip thanks to dual antenna design
    Power-efficient Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iPhone 5 is light years ahead of the 4 and much quicker than the 4S.

We are running benchmark tests in work all day today as my job are launching a new app tomorrow.

we all click the App store and download the same app at the same time.
    When the app first launches it downloads 99 images and text.

My iphone 5 finishes first every time, a minute or two ahead of the 4S and minimum of 3-4 minutes ahead of the 4.

iPhone 5 - Meteor
    iPhone 4S - Vodafone
    iPhone 4 - eMobile
    iPhone 4 = Three

we are in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Seems to be a resounding yes for the 5 so..

I see one of the comments above saying the 5 was faster and that was on the meteor network and in Dublin city. I have had the samsung Galaxy S on meteor for the past two years and have being using it in galway, Clare in limerick all on a regular basis and I have to say the 3G has been the worst I have ever experienced. Extremely unreliable at the best of times so I cant see myself going back to meteor. I have never fully established weather its the handset or the network but I'm not willing to risk it by signing another two year contract with them.

I plan to go with three as someone here guessed and I am hoping their 3G service is good as I drive for a living and heavily rely on navigation on a daily basis to get me in and out of places that I am not familiar with.

Is it still possible to load google maps on to the 5?
    When are three planning to release their 4G service?
    Are three the only network planning on releasing the 4G service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

subscriber wrote: »
    Seems to be a resounding yes for the 5 so..

I see one of the comments above saying the 5 was faster and that was on the meteor network and in Dublin city. I have had the samsung Galaxy S on meteor for the past two years and have being using it in galway, Clare in limerick all on a regular basis and I have to say the 3G has been the worst I have ever experienced. Extremely unreliable at the best of times so I cant see myself going back to meteor. I have never fully established weather its the handset or the network but I'm not willing to risk it by signing another two year contract with them.

I plan to go with three as someone here guessed and I am hoping their 3G service is good as I drive for a living and heavily rely on navigation on a daily basis to get me in and out of places that I am not familiar with.

Is it still possible to load google maps on to the 5?
    When are three planning to release their 4G service?
    Are three the only network planning on releasing the 4G service?

Be wary of 3 there coverage is not great in all areas also customer service is not the Mae West and is based in India. A mate of mine from Blackrock in Dublin moved to 02 from 3 and he says he can't believe how much better the signal quality is. He said he rarely got full signal in his house. You only have to search on here to see how bad 3 can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed with the 3 part..3g is grand in the cities but move outside and you quickly lose it..
    As for the phone..depends on what you can afford.
    I recently moved from the 4 to the 4s and notice the difference in some apps..
    I had the ip4 for 2.5 years and its' still going strong in fairness..gave it to my brother and he loves it..(his first smartphone)
    I'm still up for an upgrade to the 5 on three but that will tie me back into a contract but more importantly loses me the tethering feature as they now charge for it..
    I'm just going to make them sweat for a few months to see what I can get off them :D

Be wary of 3 there coverage is not great in all areas also customer service is not the Mae West and is based in India. A mate of mine from Blackrock in Dublin moved to 02 from 3 and he says he can't believe how much better the signal quality is. He said he rarely got full signal in his house. You only have to search on here to see how bad 3 can be.

being honest, I have heard everyone complaining about their customer service and it is supposed to be atrocious, but for me, its a trade off, Meteor in my own experience have dreadful signal for both 3G and calls. I haven't heard a stack of complaints about three's signal at all though..

The other side of the coin is going with 02... There bill pay plans are sh1t.. IMO.

They don't really allow for internet usage.. to get any kind of plan that includes good internet usage will cost upwards of 55 euros a month. Any bill for 40 euros or there about allows for a measly 700MB data usage... Not very good. three allow for unlimited data usage.. And the trade off is,, sh1t customer service.. For me Id take the cheaper bill...

Blazer wrote: »
    agreed with the 3 part..3g is grand in the cities but move outside and you quickly lose it..
    As for the phone..depends on what you can afford.
    I recently moved from the 4 to the 4s and notice the difference in some apps..
    I had the ip4 for 2.5 years and its' still going strong in fairness..gave it to my brother and he loves it..(his first smartphone)
    I'm still up for an upgrade to the 5 on three but that will tie me back into a contract but more importantly loses me the tethering feature as they now charge for it..
    I'm just going to make them sweat for a few months to see what I can get off them :D

Sorry, Just to clarify, three network charge for tethering feature on the Iphone5???

Is this not a feature of a phone rather than a feature of a network I would have taught??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They don't charge for it they outright block it altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

subscriber wrote: »
    Sorry, Just to clarify, three network charge for tethering feature on the Iphone5???

Is this not a feature of a phone rather than a feature of a network I would have taught??

It's still upto the carrier to implement it...
    Three used to allow tethering with the iphone4/4s but did away with it with new contracts signed since Jan 2012.
    You can still tether I think but you're charged fopr it...it can be detected on the iphone by the carrier, however 3 and other carriers as of yet can't detect tethering on android devices..but this will soon be changed by google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Three do not charge for tethering although officially you are not meant to tether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Memory wise for movies and videos is 16gb enough or would 32gb be worth paying the extra for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Antibac wrote: »
    Memory wise for movies and videos is 16gb enough or would 32gb be worth paying the extra for?

Only you can answer that to be honest.
    Of course 32gb is better as it holds more, but it depends on whether you will have 10 movies or 25 movies stored on it at any one time.

Depends on your music collection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I would probably have alot for the kids and just connect to the TV for them to watch and I Would probably have some books/magazines aswell.32gb I think Would be the safe option as I am getting an IPad aswell and can store stuff on it aswell

Advertisement