Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp, rented hose - causing so many problems :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 zoe88

murphaph wrote: »
    I disagree (doctors will write all sorts if asked), but anyway.

The priority should be to fix the problems. Something is causing the mould. In most cases it is indeed the behaviour of the occupants that causes it.

You MUST ventilate properly in almost every dwelling in Ireland as very few have air exchangers (common in the US, for example). If clothes are being dried indoors (inadvisable) then ventilation is even more crucial.

The landlord possibly expects the tenant to use a launderette (common in Germany, used one myself for a good while before buying a machine).

@ cking problem i have damp, its the landlords house, his problem, and i didnt ask my doctor to make this **** up, she is very sick with her chest and has had tonsilitis twice now, so keep your own opinions to yourself cos your snotty answer isnt wanted, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

zoe88 wrote: »
    It has very poor ventilation, also has flooded 3 times my neighbour has told me, it is a risk in floods when cork is flooded.. also he has no fans, over head on oven doesnt work, he hasnt fix it, even though he was asked months ago, basically i am trying to get out, am heading to council first thing, only on list a year, they will prob keep me waiting!

I hope it's not Douglas, Glanmire or Blackpool! :eek:

Were you aware the apartment was in a flood risk area? OP I would get on to Environmental Health first thing. Don't wait...

EDIT: I would also take a copy of the regs. Edellc posted up the link a while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Maybe we can be more helpful if you give us some more details?

Is there permanently open vents in each habitable room?

Is there mechanical ventilation in the bathroom and kitchen?

What sort of heating is installed?

How old is the apartment?

Is it a purpose built apartment or a flat in a converted house?

What is the BER?

You say there's damp from "head to toe" do you have any photos?

I hope it's not Douglas, Glanmire or Blackpool! :eek:

Were you aware the apartment was in a flood risk area? OP I would get on to Environmental Health first thing. Don't wait...

EDIT: I would also take a copy of the regs. Edellc posted up the link a while ago...

No, actually blackrock, which never really floods, but the park im living in has flooded 3 times apparently due to the shores and what not on the road outside the park, something like that anyway. No certainly wasnt aware it was at risk of flooding. so fed up now because there is no where to rent in the area i want, nothing i can afford anyway!

Like I say. You want to get on to EH first thing. Second - get your arse down to City Hall with the letter.

• Advertisement

and yes little red spot i do have photos not sure how to upload them but why would you want to see them? my living room, bed room and bathroom all have mould and black on the walls. i took pics on my phone for proof for the city hall and who ever else who can help me!

Like I say. You want to get on to EH first thing. Second - get your arse down to City Hall with the letter.

WILL DO, not sure if they will help me anyway! Have emailed housing twice, sent them pics, but will head in , in person with letter!

and yes little red spot i do have photos not sure how to upload them but why would you want to see them? my living room, bed room and bathroom all have mould and black on the walls. i took pics on my phone for proof for the city hall and who ever else who can help me!

That's why you posted here - right? Photos are not only proof, but other posters might also be able to give insight on how to manage the problem. It's not to be nosy, we're trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Because photos might be able to help us work out what's causing the damp.
    If the place has been flooded recently and not correctly dried out and repaired that could easily be your problem, the walls could still be full of moisture.

A phonecall to the EHO will soon put you straight. If they find that the house isn't fit to live in, it would be a very stupid landlord that wouldn't give you your full deposit back.

That's why you posted here - right? Photos are not only proof, but other posters might also be able to give insight on how to manage the problem. It's not to be nosy, we're trying to help.

Not saying you are nosey, i basically dont care how the damp is treated as I just dont want to be living here, may i add i have found slugs lying around my living area, and also had fat pigs " wood lice" i also had to deal with them, due to damp, not sure how to deal with slugs, i have just put a bottle of salt outside my backdoor (where i presume they were coming from, as living area is to the back)

• Advertisement

Not saying you are nosey, i basically dont care how the damp is treated as I just dont want to be living here, may i add i have found slugs lying around my living area, and also had fat pigs " wood lice" i also had to deal with them, due to damp, not sure how to deal with slugs, i have just put a bottle of salt outside my backdoor (where i presume they were coming from, as living area is to the back)

I have no doubt the conditions are awful. I can't stress this enough. You need to get on to EH AT ONCE. They will inspect the premises and make the landlord do the remedial work, even if you move out.

Have you put the damp and mould issues in writing to the LL? In fact, have you given notice to quit??

In the meantime, I would move out.

I have no doubt the conditions are awful. I can't stress this enough. You need to get on to EH AT ONCE. They will inspect the premises and make the landlord do the remedial work, even if you move out.

Have you put the damp and mould issues in writing to the LL? In fact, have you given notice to quit??

In the meantime, I would move out.

If it was that easy to move out i would, i dont really have anywhere to go, and no i havent done it in writing, which i really should of, but i have rang him numerous times, and he said he would get someone out to dry line the walls, this was 3 weeks ago, my little girl is still sick on the meantime, my doctor just told me show him letter and get my deposit back! Im just so on edge cos i have been viewing other places, and i havent found any i liked, and will not settle for one just because i have to

If it was that easy to move out i would, i dont really have anywhere to go, and no i havent done it in writing, which i really should of, but i have rang him numerous times, and he said he would get someone out to dry line the walls, this was 3 weeks ago, my little girl is still sick on the meantime, my doctor just told me show him letter and get my deposit back! Im just so on edge cos i have been viewing other places, and i havent found any i liked, and will not settle for one just because i have to

Then that is the FIRST thing to do! What can't speak, can't lie. You should put all of this in writing to the landlord. Do not send an e-mail. If possible, send the letter (and photos to back up what you're saying) via Registered Post. List the problems you've been having. Attach a copy of the doctor's letter. Tell the landlord you're taking advice from Threshold (who you should also contact) and have called in Environmental Health who will contact him separately about the issues.

I'm afraid the doctor's living in dreamland if he thinks the LL will just let you walk away. It doesn't work that way. You now have to step it up a gear.

Stick to the facts, and don't go into a rant. You lose the battle that way. Have you kept a note of the dates you spoke to him?

"Im just so on edge cos i have been viewing other places, and i havent found any i liked, and will not settle for one just because i have to"

Given your child's health problems, I would've thought that finding a dry, clean, safe place to live would be priority. You don't have to like the place. You just need to get the baby out.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Sounds like rising damp from my experience. This sounds similiar to a place I rented 5 years ago, dodgy heating, found out there was a flooding issue in the two units..wasn't drying clothes indoors, as even if I left anything out it rotted overnight. Bogey oil heating, no vents (aside from gaps in the window frames) and first suggestion was..yes, open a window :mad: foul damp (mushrooms!),buckling floors, riddled with woodlice,stank, lost half my belongings. We were ill. The landlord was a "property developer/management company" guy. He had his builder come out and said he'd put in a few vents..month later nothing. I had mine come out and assess and said was 100% rising damp issue which made sense-badly insulated, damproofing, bad foundations the work. I gave this to the LL and threat of enviromental health. He actually told me, fine keep the rent and get out within 6 weeks and say nothing. Should have sued the f*cker in after thought :( I'd go with threat of EH.
    *Was freshly painted, with newish quirky kitchen units,high walls & spacious when we viewed it-started to rot within a couple of weeks of moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There certainly are houses with ventilation and damp problems. These would tend to be older properties or "adapted".
    There really is too many unknowns. The OP would have to say more.
    While people like to demonise LL not many will let a property go to ruin.
    The suggestion to dry line the wall is terrible. That means putting plaster board up. That would make the problem worse. Plaster board would soak up moisture and retain it with room for mould in the gap behind it.

As for the complaint that tumble driers are too expensive. That is the only option, drying clothes inside will damage a property. Might not bother some tenants but it does when it damages their items.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Then that is the FIRST thing to do! What can't speak, can't lie. You should put all of this in writing to the landlord. Do not send an e-mail. If possible, send the letter (and photos to back up what you're saying) via Registered Post. List the problems you've been having. Attach a copy of the doctor's letter. Tell the landlord you're taking advice from Threshold (who you should also contact) and have called in Environmental Health who will contact him separately about the issues.

I'm afraid the doctor's living in dreamland if he thinks the LL will just let you walk away. It doesn't work that way. You now have to step it up a gear.

Stick to the facts, and don't go into a rant. You lose the battle that way. Have you kept a note of the dates you spoke to him?

"Im just so on edge cos i have been viewing other places, and i havent found any i liked, and will not settle for one just because i have to"

Given your child's health problems, I would've thought that finding a dry, clean, safe place to live would be priority. You don't have to like the place. You just need to get the baby out.

I actually do not drive and i have been viewing houses alot lately to find one which is local and will reach our needs and somewhere that is close to my family so i wont have to travel far on bus to go see them or visa versa, youd think i was staying to make my child more ill or something, some answers wreck my head. and for the first part of the answer, yes thanks, i have a copy of all dates i spoke to him, going tinto threshold in the morning.

djimi wrote: »

thanks, printing this out as we speak, thanks again

I actually do not drive and i have been viewing houses alot lately to find one which is local and will reach our needs and somewhere that is close to my family so i wont have to travel far on bus to go see them or visa versa, youd think i was staying to make my child more ill or something, some answers wreck my head. and for the first part of the answer, yes thanks, i have a copy of all dates i spoke to him, going tinto threshold in the morning.

Nobody said that now, did they? You're being very defensive. I don't know why. I realise this must be very stressful for you. It's not a nice situation to be in. But you posted asking for opinions and we gave them in an effort to help.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear...

Sounds like rising damp from my experience. This sounds similiar to a place I rented 5 years ago, dodgy heating, found out there was a flooding issue in the two units..wasn't drying clothes indoors, as even if I left anything out it rotted overnight. Bogey oil heating, no vents (aside from gaps in the window frames) and first suggestion was..yes, open a window :mad: foul damp (mushrooms!),buckling floors, riddled with woodlice,stank, lost half my belongings. We were ill. The landlord was a "property developer/management company" guy. He had his builder come out and said he'd put in a few vents..month later nothing. I had mine come out and assess and said was 100% rising damp issue which made sense-badly insulated, damproofing, bad foundations the work. I gave this to the LL and threat of enviromental health. He actually told me, fine keep the rent and get out within 6 weeks and say nothing. Should have sued the f*cker in after thought :( I'd go with threat of EH.
    *Was freshly painted, with newish quirky kitchen units,high walls & spacious when we viewed it-started to rot within a couple of weeks of moving in

half of them dont give a ****e!

• Advertisement

Nobody said that now, did they? You're being very defensive. I don't know why. I realise this must be very stressful for you. It's not a nice situation to be in. But you posted asking for opinions and we gave them in an effort to help.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear...

Im sorry for being defensive but some of the answers are coming across as if im too laid back about it, its like your saying, move out tomorrow, everything will be fine, but it wont, i have no deposit, there is no where in my budget either, and it is just a bad situation. I should of worded my question correctly really, i wanted to know if anyone else was in this position, and if anyone thought that city hall will actually help me?

Im sorry for being defensive but some of the answers are coming across as if im too laid back about it, its like your saying, move out tomorrow, everything will be fine, but it wont, i have no deposit, there is no where in my budget either, and it is just a bad situation. I should of worded my question correctly really, i wanted to know if anyone else was in this position, and if anyone thought that city hall will actually help me?

You're under severe pressure. I get that. I already advised you to put the whole thing in writing to the landlord. When you see Threshold, ask them to help you with the letter if you don't feel confident writing it. Keep copies.

City Hall might be able to push you up the housing list if you're already on it. You're single (I assume) with a baby. I would imagine you'd be pretty high on the list of priorities anyway. Go in and see them, and take the doctor's letter with you.

Did you get on to Environmental Health? A report from them to the Housing Dept, with the doctor's letter will be a great help.

Talk to the CWO. Advise them of the living conditions. They can probably help with a deposit in certain circumstances. But you don't know if you don't try.

You're under severe pressure. I get that. I already advised you to put the whole thing in writing to the landlord. When you see Threshold, ask them to help you with the letter if you don't feel confident writing it. Keep copies.

City Hall might be able to push you up the housing list if you're already on it. You're single (I assume) with a baby. I would imagine you'd be pretty high on the list of priorities anyway. Go in and see them, and take the doctor's letter with you.

Did you get on to Environmental Health? A report from them to the Housing Dept, with the doctor's letter will be a great help.

Talk to the CWO. Advise them of the living conditions. They can probably help with a deposit in certain circumstances. But you don't know if you don't try.

Thanks for your help, going to do all the above really. City hall have told me when i applied last year my areas have a very high waiting list of 5 years :-( so hasnt made me confident, but surely they arent that hard up to see me living in a damp apartment with my daughter, I have got copies of the letter today, going to go to several places with it, have not got on to enviromental officer yet, will have to google their phone numbers in awhile, have a busy day ahead tomorrow sorting all this out, taking a day off college to sort it out, has to be done, thanks for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hard to know what's causing the damp, no description of it has been given.

I know one case where some used broke their contract, claiming damp, and mould causing asthma with a hospital doctor note claiming it was caused by the environment. The LL retained the deposit as they broke the contract. The PRTB sided with the LL. The doctor couldn't know it was the building or the tenants causing the environment to be damp.

You'd need to get the local council environmental officer to look at it, not a doctor.

If the LL has been asked to fix specific things and hasn't done it that may be ground enough to break the contract and retain your deposit.

Advertisement