Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toolbox and Tools

• 21-11-2012 5:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,
    I'm looking to get a good tool box with tools for about €2-300...can anyone recommend a good website?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

That would depend on what type of tools you're looking for.
    Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrical, Gardening, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭terencemc

Probably should have said that...plumbing/electrical...spanners, wrench, vice grips, etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

fergal.b wrote: »
    How about one of these from Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_713989_langId_-1_categoryId_212410
    not bad for €90:D

Seems to be missing two of my favorite and most used tools though, duct tape and WD-40 ;)

Lads in work use those and to be honest it's just ok, not the best quality. Better off buying better bits individually and building your collection over time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

terencemc wrote: »
    Hey y'all,
    I'm looking to get a good tool box with tools for about €2-300...can anyone recommend a good website?
    Cheers

This si coming from the perspective of a heavy DIYer - i'd core drill my own vents for extractors, put up partition walls, re-plumb etc, that's not to show off, I'm saying it because my tool needs would be different to most people

Are you going to be doing (deep breath :P )
    Light DIY - occasional shelf
    Heavy DIY - making your own shelves, tables
    Light renovation on a house - replacing doors, making wardrobes
    Heavy renovation - re-wiring, replumbing, slabbing

Depending on what your doing your needs will grow. But to start off from nothing
    • good timber saw
    • good hacksaw
    • set of wood chisels
    • set of masonry chisels - inch wide and bolster chisel
    • hammer action drill - spend a bit more here and get a slower speed SDS one, it'll last longer.
    • QUALITY wood, metal, masonry drill bits (wasting your time buying cheap stuff, except maybe to get a good box that stores them all neatly)
    • screwdrivers - get the ones where the shaft comes through the handle to the top if you plan on doing a lot of rooting as the handle doesn't split when you hit these ones with a hammer.
    • one foot and 3 foot long levels
    • buy the industrial boxes of 100/200 screws rather than the B&Q packages of 20, it's nearly the same cost.
    • claw hammer and a heavy hammer
    In fact the best advice I can give you is not to buy in B&Q/woodies unles your used to buying tools and know when you can use cheap and when not (drill bits!). Do you have a mate who's into tools? Ask them to come along and look at stuff.

Sometime ALDI/LIDL have good power tools but only for DIY level and only if your gentle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

I buy a few bits from time to time from http://www.handyhardware.ie/, found them pretty good on price and they have a good range of quality brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

terencemc wrote: »
    Hey y'all,
    Cheers

Not being smart but you could spent your budget and more on a tool box alone.

Most tool kits are built up over years.
    you either need to work out what tools you need and and start buying the ones you need soonest.
    or if you put a list of your intended work up here you might get some pointers on what to get and how much it should cost.
    some times it is better to buy slight cheaper tools if they are going to be rarely used, leaving you a bit more money to buy good quality tools that will get most use.

Advertisement