Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak Surfing

Options
  • 21-11-2012 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have kayak surf many times on Sit on top SOT kayaks in the Cork area.

I find them real fun...
    However they can be a hard to carve or difficult to manuever down the wave.

I am considering getting a white water sit inside kayak, something like a pyranha Z.One.

My only issue is rolling. I know i will have to learn to roll the kayak, however i imagine being upside down in the surf can be a bit un nerving.

I could get a dedicated SOT surf machine like a perception 5.0 or Cobra Strike.

Am i being a bit too cautious over the sit in?
    The sit in's do look serious fun.

Any advice or other peoples story's opinions wold be appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

It's a filthy disease!

Firstly if you get a proper "Sit-In" kayak then do yourself a favour and get proper instruction.
    This is for your own safety. Trapped in your inverted kayak isn’t a nice feeling.

Secondly, get used to not being welcomed with open arms at surf-spots.
    Kayakers have awful, and generally well deserved, reputations when it comes to sharing the line-up and following common surf etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

I have been kayak surfing on and off for a while, and to be honest im well aware how surf Etiquette works.
    Surfers should start obeying their own Etiquette a little more often.
    As surfers say that they could be in the (whole) the steep part of the way , kayakers come over the top and spoil things, however i bodyboard a lot too, and bodyboarders lye deeper into the wave and i have often come across surfers coming over the top of me and barge their way through.
    I have on occasions been annoyed by kayakers whilst bodyboarding admiitedly.
    I have been on the waves in one form or another for a considerable number of years. I know the score.
    If im on a SOT i will always move to some space...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Look up surf ski on line you can get kayaks made for surfing with fins... both sit in and sit on. Not may people here do it so you probably need to look at other online forums, one thing if you go sit it then you have to be able to role it or else you have to swim in with a boat full of water. Best thing is to find a club and join.

And don't worry about the whole surfers hate kayakers.... as a shark biscuiting, bin lid, speed bump you must have a hard neck and no shame ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Similar to yourself I've done a bit of everything - bodyboarding, surfing and Kayaking.

The Kayaking has mostly been in rivers and have only every been in the surf a few times. However speaking with my Kayakers hat on - I know you've said you'll learn to roll, but I can't overstate how important it is to learn to the point where it's second nature. It's not too difficult to learn, most people do pick it up. But there is a world of difference between doing it in a pool and in a surf zone - You know yourself, enough said.

The only thing about a "sit in" is if you are going out as a lone kayaker the there is a good chance that (even if you can roll until the cows come home) at some point the spray deck will pop and you'll be left with a boat full of water. If you're out with a fellow kayaker it's not too bad, there are techniques you can learn to remove most of the water from your boat and carry on. If however you're on your own, then a swim (even a relatively short swim) holding on to a boat, full of water, half submerged and a paddle and trying to get to the shore can be a nightmare.

Just my toughts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elheffe

i would have to agree with ET. i have a perception 5 0 wave ski and RTM wave ski. they are both great but for maneuverability the RTM is slightly better, but it takes alot more getting used to, balance, roll ect. with SOT you have the option of learning to roll it or not, if your up side down get off it, turn it over and get back on it. i learned how to roll a SOT but in surf i just get off it and turn it over by hand. I never gave the whole being enclosed thing a good try really (tho i have tried them) but i personally would prefer SIT ON TOP. Thats my 2cents anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

know a few lads that surf ski the northern reefs in sligo on the sit on top surf specific surf skis. fibreglass jobs they're serious. make sure and get a good helmet if you're strapping in. those short stubby kayaks don't seem as good, all they seem to be able to do is spin they don't seem to carve at all.

like the rest were saying, be sure and be very mindful of not wave hogging but sounds like you're clued in.

i was using an 18ft surf ski (intl lifesaving one) with a pedal controlled rudder. it can catch swell you can harldy even see but man is it lacking any maneuverability!!!

enjoy the stoke whatever you end up doing.

Advertisement