Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Di Matteo Sacked

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sorry lads, I'm not trolling, but your club has been turned into a running joke at this stage. Disgraceful from Abromavich to be honest.

The worst thing is, he will probably say he only appointed RBM becuase of public pressure after the great end to last season.

Right before a potentially season defining game at the Etihad. My gut says there is someone lined up already. Pep would not shock me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The biggest problem ours that they never replaced Drogba. Sturridge is not a Cf, no matter what he thinks himself. Falcao would have saved him his job and added another option in attack. They have midfielders coming put their ears but no back up striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Xavi6 wrote: »
    img_3675357_620.jpg

A top, top, top, top manager.

What with your John Terrys, Ashley Coles, Terrando Horreses.

A top, top manager for a top, top club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It'll be 'arry with a short term contract until the end of the season when Pep rolls into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sorry lads, I'm not trolling, but your club has been turned into a running joke at this stage. Disgraceful from Abromavich to be honest.

The worst thing is, he will probably say he only appointed RBM becuase of public pressure after the great end to last season.

Right before a potentially season defining game at the Etihad. My gut says there is someone lined up already. Pep would not shock me in the slightest.

Roman never speaks out, any statement will be from Gourlay or Bucke or from the club.

I dont think its Pep but I would like to see how he gets on.

He would have a free pass from Roman as hes Romans wet dream for manager.

If it does happen they'll be huge changes in the summer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I was actually angry when the Sky reported asked him was he worried about his job last night. I thought it was extremely sensationalist but it turns out he was right.

They definitely have somebody lined up

Jeff Stelling at it again? No doubt he will be banging on RDMs door round about now telling him he's been sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

geeky wrote: »
    Bizarrely, there's no emoticon for banging my head against the wall until sweet oblivion steps in.

And that's only the second most annoying thing that's happened today.

Honestly, why any serious manager would touch Chelsea is just beyond me.

why not? you will get a massive amount of money for 6 months to a years worth of work. i would love to see the figure for how much managers have cost him since taking over. i mean both for wages and paying them off when he sacks them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fcuking jokeshop of a club.

Top of the league 6 weeks ago.

CL and FA Cup 5 months ago.

img_3675357_620.jpg

I hope this never happens, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mark Hughes hasn't won a match all season.

RDM won an FA Cup and Champions League 6 months ago.

in normal, sane circumstances, who do you think would be sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Disagree that it's disgraceful. As you say yourself, they probably have someone lined up so what's the point holding fire?

Anyone surprised at this sacking must have been living in a bubble for the last few months, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Best get rid and have the lined up person in now before they fall further behind in the league.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Disagree that it's disgraceful. As you say yourself, they probably have someone lined up so what's the point holding fire?

And sure if he doesn't get success instantly they can just sack him too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

img_3675357_620.jpg

:D

please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wins abromovichs holy grail and the fa cup last season.

Sacked this season....mental

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Roman never speaks out, any statement will be from Gourlay or Bucke or from the club.

I think ye have the guts of a stellar team there right now, and if the new manager brings in Falcao (or another striker of his calibre), replacements for the old guard (more for political reasons than footballing ones) and another CB in the mould of JT, Chelsea will be an ever greater force.

• Advertisement

And sure if he doesn't get success instantly they can just sack him too.

Depends who it is really. What if it is Pep and he's ready to go now? Should Di Matteo be kept on even though he's not wanted at the risk of losing out on Guardiola?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Not surprised about the sacking as I was shocked he got the job in the first place.

When he took temporary control, he basically just told the lads (i.e. Terry and Lamps) to go out and play football and do simplified the whole thing. Players like those two (and Drogba) know how to get a team to play.

This year he has had to be an actual manager and was found to be not that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

lol that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Which top top manager would take this job?

To me it is the worst job in football. The owner wants his team to play like Barca. Well you dont have the players, the stadium or the history. Let the manager do his job, run the team his way, buy his players and if it doesn't work out then give him the boot in 4 or 5 years, not 4 or 5 months. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I said at the start of the season he would be the first to be sacked however I honestly can't believe he beat Mark Hughes to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

As if Pep would go there, dream on.

Enjoy Benitez.

Joke of a club.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends who it is really. What if it is Pep and he's ready to go now? Should Di Matteo be kept on even though he's not wanted at the risk of losing out on Guardiola?

Why bother giving Di Matteo the job permenantly if they're not planning on sticking with him then? If you're not gonna give the manager full backing you can hardly expect them to perform well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I doubt it Gav the CL was RA's long term wet dream and look how the man responsible for turning a horrible start last season into that has been treated. Really feel for Di Matteo here it's beyond the joke at this stage, the game is a farce nowadays.

I think ye have the guts of a stellar team there right now, and if the new manager brings in Falcao (or another striker of his calibre), replacements for the old guard (more for political reasons than footballing ones) and another CB in the mould of JT, Chelsea will be an ever greater force.

If it is Pep then I can see a few players been sold or let go.

The Chelsea circus rolls on. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How long was Di Matteo's contract? As in how much of a payday is it to him now that he was sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

geeky wrote: »
    Honestly, why any serious manager would touch Chelsea is just beyond me.
    Because you'll get massive wages, get to buy the best players in europe, have a good chance of winning leagues and champions leagues, and when you get sacked it won't harm your reputation at all because it's expected, and you'll get a pay off thats similar to a small euromillions lotto jackpot.
    It's the best job in world football!

Why bother giving Di Matteo the job permenantly if they're not planning on sticking with him then? If you're not gonna give the manager full backing you can hardly expect them to perform well.

Maybe their target wasn't available at the time.

All I'm saying is that I'll wait until the replacement is announced before buying into the "joke club" hyperbole.

keith16 wrote: »

Jeff Stelling at it again? No doubt he will be banging on RDMs door round about now telling him he's been sacked!

That would be Shreeves, the grim reaper of bad news!

I doubt it Gav the CL was RA's long term wet dream and look how the man responsible for turning a horrible start last season into that has been treated. Really feel for Di Matteo here it's beyond the joke at this stage, the game is a farce nowadays.

RDM was a stop gap until he could approach Pep.

Its in Peps court, if he wnats it its there, I see no reason why he wouldnt take the challenge but PEp would need full control and little intervention and Roman who wants the Barca way, would bend over backwrds for Pep IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SlickRic wrote: »
    :D

please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry. please hire Harry.
    Thats exactly what Frank Lampard is saying right now

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    How long was Di Matteo's contract? As in how much of a payday is it to him now that he was sacked.

2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

AVB:
    Buy a young manager out of his current project for millions but then don't buy into his philosophy and sack him.

RDM:
    replace him with a young manager that delivers you your ultimate trophy, but then sack him within six months of winning it cause you're not doing well in a group stage.

I never really felt any bitterness towards Chelsea and their revolving door of manager appointments, but this takes the biscuit.
    You deserve what you get from here on in, and here's hoping its sweet fúck all !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

With all due respect to the decent Chelsea fans, I hope your teams wins nothing this year.

Abramovich is a joke of an owner, throwing billions at the team, expecting instant success and changing managers nearly as often as he changes his socks.

I think only constant failure will teach him to cop on.

P.S. I think Pep would be crazy to take this joke of a manager's position. The second he farts the wrong way he'll be out the door like all before him. He's better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This could explain why Redknapp has been on MotD several times in the past month salivating over Mata and telling everyone how 'he was looking at him with Spurs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

lol that is all.

Stellar contribution. Thanks for coming.
    The owner wants his team to play like Barca. Well you dont have the players, the stadium or the history. Let the manager do his job, run the team his way, buy his players and if it doesn't work out then give him the boot in 4 or 5 years, not 4 or 5 months. Joke.

So in order to play like Barca it is a requirement that you have a 100k capacity stadium and an illustrious history? So it's not a question of just the players and the coaching. Right, I see you've studied the game in some depth. Please tell me how history affects your playing style today? Keeping in mind Barcelona have changed playing styles multiple times in their history.

Going by your logic Liverpool can never play like Barca either as they don't have the players or the stadium. They may have the history but 1 out of 3 isn't enough.

On the whole situation it was inevitable. I said in September the way he is playing is catching a lot of teams out as they aren't used to seeing it from Chelsea but come later in the season the Scolari problem will re-surface in that you've a tactically shallow manager who ones teams figure out how they play they will start to adapt. That's exactly what happened. People don't give Guardiola enough credit for how he often changed Barca's shape and structure without sacrificing philosophy and he continued to get results. DiMatteo didn't change shape or structure and now teams know exactly how exposed Chelsea leave the back line which isn't helped by tactically stupid defenders either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

People can go on all they want about him winning the 2 cups but you need to remember what a massive part Drogba had in them and now hes gone. In saying that their performance against Barca in the Nou Camp was sensational.

Honestly though whos surprised by this?

Losing 3-0 and playing that team and formation was always going to be a huge gamble and it cost RDM his job.

Stupid from Roman to do it as we can still go through but I hope Shakthar and Juventus draw now.

Its getting to the stage where Roman will pi** off a large section of the fans with his approach to firing managers and will turn a lot of fans against him.

Short of managing the team, he'll never be happy.

iregk wrote: »
    Stellar contribution. Thanks for coming.

Why thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Not surprised really given our track record. Hopefully this will give us a kick start now and we might be able to get a good result against City.

We're basically out of the CL which so that might benefit our league form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

s_carnage wrote: »
    No sure if serious??

If they did get Rafa I'm sure it would only be short term but suppose that's nothing new at Chelsea nowadays. Rafa started positively enough at Liverpool but really was a bit of a joke in his final couple of years. I personally don't rate him as a manager so would much prefer him in the job than say Pep.

How was he a joke in his last few years at Liverpool?

These sort of posts just smack of people who dont follow football but maybe catch the highlights.

You need to read up about exactly what went on at Liverpool before you spout nonsense and stuff you read in rags.

Just to point you in the right direction....we were nearly brought to administration under the owners at the time.

And who have Liverpool to thank for our youth setup? Rafa.

i'll die a little inside if Rafa takes the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Didn't the special ones daughter enrol in a school 6 km from Stamford Bridge just last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That would be Shreeves, the grim reaper of bad news!

Yep, he's just been round my gaff to tell me I got the name wrong. And that I haven't made the grade as a professional footballer.

RDM was a stop gap until he could approach Pep.

Its in Peps court, if he wnats it its there, I see no reason why he wouldnt take the challenge but PEp would need full control and little intervention and Roman who wants the Barca way, would bend over backwrds for Pep IMO.

Well I suppose time will tell but if a man like Mourinho who brought all of the initial success at the very beginning was the 1st through this revolving door, can't see how any manager will ever be given the reigns (to himself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Honestly though whos surprised by this?

Losing 3-0 and playing that team and formation was always going to be a huge gamble and it cost RDM his job.

Stupid from Roman to do it as we can still go through but I hope Shakthar and Juventus draw now.

Its getting to the stage where Roman will pi** off a large section of the fans with his approach to firing managers and will turn a lot of fans against him.

Short of managing the team, he'll never be happy.

If anything Gav you have just become desensitised.

as a Liverpool supporter and the restraints that we find ourselves in then ups and downs are going to be the norm.
    but at Chelsea its getting ridiculous that the error rate needs to be running near 0% or you get the sack ...thats madness in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

He doesn't exactly strike me as somebody who would bow to public pressure...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rafa Benitez has been sacked by Chelsea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

amiable wrote: »
    Rafa Benitez has been sacked by Chelsea

Well deserved. He's not won anything with them....

Anyone surprised at this sacking must have been living in a bubble for the last few months, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Best get rid and have the lined up person in now before they fall further behind in the league.

The fact that they might have someone lined up, meaning this has been coming for weeks, is even more disgraceful. Disgraceful, but true to form when it comes to RA.

They are in third place in the League, and can peg City back to 1 point come 6pm Sunday. They still have a strong chance of qualifying for the CL knockout stages as they will go for blood vs Nordsjaelland and a loss for Juventus will send them through.

Nope. Not good enough. Mean ol' Headmaster Ambromavic has set the fail score at 90%. Sorry RDM, you fail! Out!

Hopefully bookies will put up market for this soon enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement