Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Di Matteo Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, this is brilliant.
    "Chelsea have spent £86m since 2004 in compensation for managers...more than Everton's entire net spend since the Premier League began".

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Roman would wanna head to the team doctor with that knee. Jerks uncontrollably and costs him a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'll die a little inside if Rafa takes the job.

So would I but to be honest, I'd love it if he did and went on to win the league, just to see the meltdown it would cause within a certain fanbase. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is one of Roman's philosophies not attractive/attacking/fluid football ?
    Players like Mata/Hazard/Oscar wont fit into Rafa's policy surely.

If i was a Chelsea fan i wouldnt be looking at Rafa as anything other than a short term apt.

Well of all the names mentioned, I'd hate Redknapp, and if Pep doesnt want it then Rafa wouldnt be a bad option really.

I cant see Rafa agreeing to a short term 6 month deal while Pep takes time out but TBH its nearly impossible to tell whats going to happen with Chelsea and mangers now a days, other then a short tenure.
    ha, this is brilliant.

Drop in the ocean....and thats the problem. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's Abramovich's interest in the club now? They've won the Champion's League, so what's left for them to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Grayditch wrote: »
    Roman would wanna head to the team doctor with that knee. Jerks uncontrollably and costs him a fortune.

Sure its only pocket money to him:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Abramovich's style of running a club & picking managers.

tv-gifs-71.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

ha, this is brilliant.

Yeah, but how many cups or titles has Everton won?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Chelsea have now completed the grand slam. Have sacked managers who have won Prem, FA Cup, League Cup, World Cup, Europa & Champions League.

Some achievement.

I can hear it now ... "Torres looking really sharp now under Rafa" (Ditto Carlo, AVB and RDM)

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Chelsea have now completed the grand slam. Have sacked managers who have won Prem, FA Cup, League Cup, World Cup, Europa & Champions League.

Some achievement.

Might aswell approach Del Busque so while we're at it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Some achievement.

a bit of :pac: and :eek: at same time.

Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wasn't AVB sacked after losing to West Brom aswell?

roman-abramovich-98882d4672f9058cc04ec76ced7d06.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Would ye take Antonio Conte?

mitosis wrote: »
    Would ye take Antonio Conte?

Would we, yes, why not.

Would Roman, probably, is he free for 8 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

If you don't think history to a club counts then you are deluded pal. Of course Barcalona have evovled but that is exactly my point. And no its not just a question of players and coaches. You need an ethos through out the club, and I can't see Ckelskis, maybe you can.

I'd suggest you look at the finest clubs in Europe try and work it out for yourself from there.:D

So tell me then, which clubs in the world play the finest football? The Barcelona style as you say. Have they always played that way? Has their ethos always been to play that way.

History counts for nothing when you're talking about a playing style on the pitch today. That stems from a culture chagne, decision, setup which may or may not be decades old. Barcelona were not always a Tiki Taka club. That is a playing style they adapted in response to the more physical counter attacking play that became so prevalent.

Take the quote from one Luis Aragonés in 2004: "we can no longer compete physically with other nations so we must put a monopoly on the ball". Now that went against the history of how Spain played but it's worked brilliantly for them from there.

Take Shaktar, they play a superb brand of football. What history do they have?

It's all too simplistic and in all reality such an easy cheap shot to trot out the old history argument and just mold it into any chelsea discussion. Depressing really that it's the level of debate we have surrendered ourselves to on the football forum.

Now back on topic, DiMatteo, I'm not for one moment defending the decision and I've no interest in a batten down the hatches and fight off all the attackers of Chelsea for this. I'm done with that. At this stage while I don't thing Robbie was the man for the job it is quite frankly embarrassing at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

All this talk of Pep and Rafa....pfft. There is only one man for this job.

David Speedie ftw

A Chelsea legend in his own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I really hope Pep/Rafa/<insert top manager here> tell Roman where to go with his manager's job.

I really hope this is the straw that breaks the camels back with the supporters and their support for their owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Wasn't AVB sacked after losing to West Brom aswell?

Yup and AVB them went and lost by 3 goals against an Italian club in the CL a few days later as well to seal his fate.

• Advertisement

Roddy Collins should be favourite. To keep with tradition and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not surprised by RDM getting sacked, at all. He was a dead man walking from June. It has been clear from the start he was not the man chelsea wanted - they waited ages to give him a contract, and were signing players while they, technically, had no manager.

IMO, the CL win was down to some luck and some excellent individual player performances, rather than a managerial masterclass - so I can't see the CL win as a reason to keep Di Matteo, or appoint him 'full time' to begin with. He was, and remained, a caretaker manager - while Chelsea waited for Pep to say yes or no. Poor performance in the CL group phase has accelerated his sacking, but that is all that has happened; it has been accelerated 7 months. He was gone in the summer regardless.

Not surprised by RDM getting sacked, at all. He was a dead man walking from June. It has been clear from the start he was not the man chelsea wanted - they waited ages to give him a contract, and were signing players while they, technically, had no manager.

IMO, the CL win was down to some luck and some excellent individual player performances, rather than a managerial masterclass - so I can't see the CL win as a reason to keep Di Matteo, or appoint him 'full time' to begin with. He was, and remained, a caretaker manager - while Chelsea waited for Pep to say yes or no. Poor performance in the CL group phase has accelerated his sacking, but that is all that has happened; it has been accelerated 7 months. He was gone in the summer regardless.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

RATM wrote: »
    All this talk of Pep and Rafa....pfft. There is only one man for this job.

David Speedie ftw

A Chelsea legend in his own right.

And not a man you would pick a fight with !!!..... he would tell RA exactly what to do .

Yeah, but how many cups or titles has Everton won?

good comeback, well done.

you'd have to be ashamed of yourselves if you hadn't won trophies with all of that new investment.

easily more managers than trophies at this stage i reckon though.

Chelsea have been relatively successful, there's no denying that. but we all reserve the right to ridicule the fúck out of the club when it keeps sacking managers left, right and centre.

RDM won 2 trophies, and got sacked after one tricky month.

and as i said earlier, Guardiola would've been sacked under Abramovich last year.

utterly insane, and it makes a mockery of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Very true, I wonder was the reason chelsea delayed giving RDM the "full" managers job in the summer down to abramovich trying to persuade Pep to join then?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Now we know why Pat Scully left Limerick FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Best prices available on next manager:

Rafa: 10/11
    Pep: 9/2
    Harry: 9/2
    Avram: 33/1
    Mourinho: 33/1
    Moyes: 33/1
    Hiddink: 40/1
    Clark: 40/1

:rolleyes:
    Lampard: 66/1
    Terry: 66/1
    Beckham: 100/1
    Drogba: 100/1
    Hughes: 100/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I want to hear what Dave Whelan has to say about this.

• Advertisement

Tony Pulis and some of the Stoke squad in, imagine the hate for the club then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Iregk.

You may not agree with what im saying and thats fair enough. I'm talking about teams like Ajax, Munich, AC, Celtic, Real Madrid. Of course not all clubs can be like these and I understand that, but a willingness to try and reach that level is surly the least a supporter can expect.

These clubs have a tradition and ethos that runs through the core of the clubs.

A small and maybe not great example is ex great players walking around the club and younger players looking up to them, kinda role model if you like. Or ex players representing the club, like Charlton with Man U. Beckenbaur( spelling) with Munich etc. The old saying no one man is bigger than a club is incorrect with modern billionaire owners, not just Chelsea. Now Fergie isn't a fair example, he is a one off, but the way he put Rooney in his place a few years ago was exactly what was called for. On the other hand the loonies are running the asylum at Chelsea.

Stability is one of the keys of sucess, trusting the man you appoint, if thats Mourhino or Big Phil or AVB etc etc to do the job is paramount. Do the players play 100% for Chelsea? No is my answer.

Trust, stability, ethos and history are a lot more important than throwing cash at any problem that arises.

All the talk of Rafa and it may already be a done deal for all we know.

But that 40/1 on Gus Hiddink is far too big. 35/1 on PaddyPower and they state:
    *If a manager is contracted to at least the end of the season he will be deemed the winner in this market.*
    That'll do for me.

Edit: No it won't.
    A bit on Laurent Blanc at 74/1.

Man I love Next Manger betting already up 94 quid from betting exchanges.

People really do get sucked into some daft punts on these markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

ha, this is brilliant.

good comeback, well done.

you'd have to be ashamed of yourselves if you hadn't won trophies with all of that new investment.

easily more managers than trophies at this stage i reckon though.

Chelsea have been relatively successful, there's no denying that. but we all reserve the right to ridicule the fúck out of the club when it keeps sacking managers left, right and centre.

RDM won 2 trophies, and got sacked after one tricky month.

and as i said earlier, Guardiola would've been sacked under Abramovich last year.

utterly insane, and it makes a mockery of the club.

Its not even my comeback, its Bruce Bucks! (and thats really sad)

Winnings games is whats all about though - look at Liverpool, Arsenal and even Man U. Afew looses and even some of their fans have been calling for their heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Couple of things.

People slagging RA for being a joke of an owner. Even with all his interference and sacking he has pumped millions into CFC and they would have not have won close to half of their recent trophies without him.

After the AVB sacking CFC delayed in giving RDM a contract for a long time. Players were signed in this period and I have no doubt other managers such as Pep were sounded out and refused. Lets be honest RDM got lucky with the CL win and was never first choice. If CFC won the FA cup and lost the CL final or went out in the semi's RDM would have gone. He was always an interim manager. RA is just correcting that error now.

That being said, even Pep or Sir Alex would struggle to keep a job at CFC right now. Jose lasted because he won things. RA needs to readjust his mindset. Instant results are not guaranteed at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I see Rafa has declared an interest. If he's only declared an interest now, does it mean that he hasn't yet been approached? I would have thought the new manager is ready to be announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Phoenix wrote: »
    What would Rafa bring to Chelsea over Pep or Jose?

He's only be a stop gap I suspect. It seems RA knows little about football. He just knows he wants trophies and entertainment (don't we all). He'll be swayed by the hype that comes with Pep and go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rafa as another interim manager i reckon,still think Pep has RA by the balls,he is hanging out till Summer 13 for his next job regardless of what happens at any club

• Advertisement

When starting at Barca Pep immediately revealed that Eto'o, Deco, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, dos Santos and Edmilson were not part of his plans and got rid of them all(Eto'o took a year).

He wouldn't be able to do similar at Chelsea or ever get a similar role under RA. It's Abramovich's team. Many of the players he has chosen himself. And Abramovich is most definitely the boss.

I wonder is Pep really keen at all? No doubt he'd earn a tidy sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Winnings games is whats all about though - look at Liverpool, Arsenal and even Man U. Afew looses and even some of their fans have been calling for their heads!

Sure you get that at every club?

Drawing comparisons to United and Arsenal when they have had their current manager for 26 and 16 years (I think I have that right) respectively, doesn't make much sense.

I hope to god Pep doesn't go near this job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

reports that two skips at the back of Stamford Bridge are currently being filled with plastic flags.
    Rafa Benitez announcement imminent

winning games is whats all about though - look at Liverpool, Arsenal and even Man U. Afew looses and even some of their fans have been calling for their heads!

at which point the owner should rise above the nincompoops in the fanbase, and put trust in the manager.

you don't have to sack a manager, just because some idiots want him gone.

and i don't know of anyone who wanted RDM gone immediately. granted, nobody thought he'd last the season unless he was flawless, but this sacking is a joke. a complete and utter joke.

winning games is indeed is what it's all about. Chelsea are near the top of the league. if they'd beaten United or even drawn with them, and if not for some bad decisions it looked like you would have, you'd actually be at the top, or within a point or 2. he's also won the 2 other major cups there are to win.

in no world that is sane, should di Matteo have ever been sacked this early.

Surprised Laurent Blanc isn't getting much of a mention. Even as an appointment until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/21/rafael-benitez-chelsea
    Chelsea hope to announce the identity of their new manager later on Wednesday with Rafael Benítez expected to take up the reins, most likely initially until the end of the season, after Roberto Di Matteo was sacked upon the team's arrival back from their 3-0 defeat at Juventus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Iregk.

You may not agree with what im saying and thats fair enough. I'm talking about teams like Ajax, Munich, AC, Celtic, Real Madrid. Of course not all clubs can be like these and I understand that, but a willingness to try and reach that level is surly the least a supporter can expect.

These clubs have a tradition and ethos that runs through the core of the clubs.

A small and maybe not great example is ex great players walking around the club and younger players looking up to them, kinda role model if you like. Or ex players representing the club, like Charlton with Man U. Beckenbaur( spelling) with Munich etc. The old saying no one man is bigger than a club is incorrect with modern billionaire owners, not just Chelsea. Now Fergie isn't a fair example, he is a one off, but the way he put Rooney in his place a few years ago was exactly what was called for. On the other hand the loonies are running the asylum at Chelsea.

Stability is one of the keys of sucess, trusting the man you appoint, if thats Mourhino or Big Phil or AVB etc etc to do the job is paramount. Do the players play 100% for Chelsea? No is my answer.

Trust, stability, ethos and history are a lot more important than throwing cash at any problem that arises.

I will shake your hand and say fair enough. I may disagree with some of your points but agree with others. That last post was an educated mature discussion. Your previous one had all the hallmarks of a 14 year old looking to troll, down to the use of Ckelski. We can agree and disagree all year long and that's fine, that's football, that's life but keep it classy and mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Bbc are now reporting that they will make an announcement before the end of today, hardly Benitez if he just declared interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

He'll probably agree to short Term contract, and possibly Torres? I wonder do they think he can finally get what they want out of Torres.

Announcement expected shortly

Link
    The former Liverpool boss is expected to be handed a short-term contract by the European champions and confirmed as Di Matteo’s replacement within the next 48 hours.Chelsea have turned to Benitez after Pep Guardiola indicated that he wants to continue his sabbatical from football and not return to management before next summer.
    Despite reports that there has been no contact between the European champions and Benitez, it is understood that a deal is being brokered for the Spaniard to be installed at Stamford Bridge imminently.

Discussions are centring on the length of the contract and the personal terms. Sources have told Goal.com that Benitez is willing to take the job until the end of the season and he is not expected to be given a long-term deal.

Chelsea expect that the 52-year-old will be in the dugout for Sunday afternoon’s Premier League match at home to Manchester City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement