Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Di Matteo Sacked

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Chair of Chelsea Supporters Group, Trizia Fiorellino, told BBC Sport: “Benitez will just not be accepted by Chelsea supporters.
    “I don’t think Benitez is a good manager, he’s been out of work for two years now. If he was any good, why hasn’t any other club snapped him up?”
    David Johnstone, a spokesman for fanzine cfcuk, added: “Rafa Benitez is not a Chelsea manager.
    “Some people are born to play for or manage certain clubs and, for us, Benitez isn’t what we want.
    “When he was Liverpool manager and Jose Mourinho was Chelsea boss, there was a bit of ’beef’ between them.
    “He was very dismissive of Chelsea, very rude towards us and my impression of him was, whenever anything went wrong, it was always somebody else’s fault – not his.”

lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Good decision. He'll do well there, will ensure they finish in the top four and even if he doesn't get the job, will hand over the team in a better shape than he picked it up in.
    I'm sure Chelsea would have easily finished in the top 4 with Di Matteo ,they are only 4 points off the top.
    Tottenham under that bluffer AVB will struggle to finish in the top 4 and so will Arsenal,Chelsea would do it in a canter.
    In fact Chelsea managed by my dog would finish in the top 4.

Its a baffling decision to bring in Benitez.
    The effort at attractive football 2.0 will be scrapped and it will be back to the old defensive Chelsea .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

SlickRic wrote: »

from who?

considering that since Torres left, he's spoken very highly of Rafa's influence on his career, I find that a difficult one to believe.

Couple of pool fans I work with were saying it back then and two said it again today when Rafa was named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm sure Chelsea would have easily finished in the top 4 with Di Matteo ,they are only 4 points off the top.
    Tottenham under that bluffer AVB will struggle to finish in the top 4 and so will Arsenal,Chelsea would do it in a canter.
    In fact Chelsea managed by my dog would finish in the top 4.

The effort at attractive football 2.0 will be scrapped and it will be back to the old defensive Chelsea .

And only 4 points above 5th.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This is just utter nonsense. At Chelsea Rafa will have the players at his disposal to play the kind of total domination football that he advocates. A front end of Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and Torres playing under Rafa is utterly terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The Times journos are saying Rafa is on an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

blue-army wrote: »
    Chelsea are a club in transition. /QUOTE]

They should make that their motto. :pac:

Mixed feelings about Benitez. I hope he does well, but I wouldn't like to see him do well, be kept on, and then have a dodgy start next season and be booted out.
    I don't like what Abramovich is doing. He should stick with a manager and see how it pans out. No club can expect stability when the manager is so powerless, and fired every year.
    The most succesful manager in my lifetime, is Fergie. He took three years to come good, which in todays standards is :eek::eek:.
    Alex Ferguson has great Authority. He has full control, and respect of the players, and may possibly be the last of a dying/dead breed.

He doesn't like a player's attitude.. Out.
    Any other complaints.. Out!

They know he means it when he says it.

No manager can ever go to Chelsea, and think that they will earn that. It'll never happen as long as Abramovich is there.
    In a way I feel sorry for Benitez. As soon as he has any sort of slump. OUT.
    He may get some players respect from the start, with a bit of Torres' influence, but there are still a few other players there that he may have to try hard to win over, and may not succeed. If they don't like him, and under perform, he can't do what Ferguson does, and boot them out, he has to get the go ahead from RA, then maybe... It's a horrible position to be in. (Although, the paycheck might help a little ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

Not surprised, Chelsea isn't a real football club anymore, it's abramovich's toy and he's a plonker. He sits at games with his stupid grin, wasting his money ruining a club because it's his personal plaything. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Taggart took seven years to win the league with Utd but won a few cups alond the way. RA presides over a broken club with chaos just around every corner. Not a good place for any manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

spockety wrote: »
    This is just utter nonsense. At Chelsea Rafa will have the players at his disposal to play the kind of total domination football that he advocates. A front end of Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and Torres playing under Rafa is utterly terrifying.

Domination football ??
    Benitez never played that style of football ,ever .
    His sides are defensive minded ,mostly relying on the counter attack.

I'm beginning to think that a deal for Guardiola to take over next season is already in place .
    Abramovich has gotten rid of Di Matteo now for fear that he would win the league making it difficult to fire him next May.
    I do not see the logic of Benitez being brought in until the end of the season.
    And only 4 points above 5th.
    Who are in 4th and fifth ,West Brom and Everton ?? they wont be there in 6 months time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Rezident wrote: »
    Not surprised, Chelsea isn't a real football club anymore, it's abramovich's toy and he's a plonker. He sits at games with his stupid grin, wasting his money ruining a club because it's his personal plaything. Sad.

How many trophies had Chelsea won in the 50 years before Abramovich came?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Chelsea trying to bring Drogba back on loan now as well :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20433720

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do you think Rafa being appointed interim manager of Chelsea shows how hes rated as Manager these days, I couldn't imagine some of the great managers in the game being so desperate to work to take a job for 6 months, its usually the likes of Joe Kinnear, Venables and Avram Grant that get these kind of jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

All this criticism of Rafa is mental. Some people can't see a priest on a mountain of sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Don't like Rafa, don't like Chelsea but all that needs to be said is he won the spanish league and it wasn't with Real or Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Different time in fairness. I remember Sociedad nearly winning it

He won it twice in 3 seasons and added a Uefa Cup.

They hadn't won a league in over 30 years until he came along.

Madrid also won the European Cup the same year so hardly a bunch of donkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To me this is the perfect gig for Rafa he really can't loose . Mount a title challenge and have a good cup run and then come May except the bullet and get another job . He really did need to take this job because he needs to get himself in the shop window again .

Advertisement