Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g Mobile Operator Snakeoil as bad as 3G Mobile Operator Snakeoil

Options
  • 21-11-2012 10:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours abound that one operator wants to launch DC-HSPA in Ireland in early 2013 and call it 4G. Our so called regulator is too inept to stop them, Comreg don't care about misleading consumer advertising. :(

The company may launch genuine 4G ( ie using LTE technology) in around 2 years time but the marketing department will be given a head start over the technology crew.

DC-HSPA runs on 3G spectrum . In fact DC-HSPA is 3g acting like 4G sorta. It allowed headline speed claims of 42mbits to be made even though many would be lucky to get 0.42mbits. DC-HSPA will not improve coverage or building penetration of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access#Dual-Cell

It is not genuine 4G at all. But heck when did that ever stop anybody in Marketing eh??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭GIMP

Anybody hear the interview on Newstalk this morning with the Vodfone Head of Strategies discussing 4g, the fella couldnt give a straight answer on coverage especially in 2g/variable coverage areas. He kept repeating that customers will get a richer experience but it will be a premium product. Data with Vodafone at the moment is at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

This would be similar to the "Faux G" they had in the US ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They won't get away with it here like in the states. The other networks with real 4G will be on comreg case to stop false advertising, whether comreg will act quick enough so the general public aren't mislead has yet to be seen.
    I bet comreg will have the hump as well seen as they didn't fork out for 2013 spectrum like everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No they won't. Every network tells lies about 'coverage' and some tell outrageous ones. Vodafone are the Most Honest overall.

There is no minimum standard 4g here...it should be Release 10 minimum but isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Got to see some 4G vodafone stuff last night in Dublin:

http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/vodafone-ireland-demos-4g/

Not a real world simulation by any means but certainly looked good. And even if we only got a fraction of the speeds purported it should still be a lot better then current 3G offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Got to see some 4G vodafone stuff last night in Dublin:

http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/vodafone-ireland-demos-4g/

Not a real world simulation by any means but certainly looked good. And even if we only got a fraction of the speeds purported it should still be a lot better then current 3G offerings.

I remember when Meteor prelaunched Broadband To Go there was a small beta test and journalists were invited to try it out. Great speeds on a completely empty network.

I'm confused about one statement in that news post though. 40-99mbps was observed. Was this on the same device? Why would the empty network with a line of sight to the base station across the road (over the westbury) give such a huge difference in speeds. Dropping 60mbps is a heck of a big falloff.

breathn wrote: »
    I remember when Meteor prelaunched Broadband To Go there was a small beta test and journalists were invited to try it out. Great speeds on a completely empty network.

I'm confused about one statement in that news post though. 40-99mbps was observed. Was this on the same device? Why would the empty network with a line of sight to the base station across the road (over the westbury) give such a huge difference in speeds. Dropping 60mbps is a heck of a big falloff.

There was a number of demo's set up so maybe dpeneding on what was happening at the time the speed altered . I saw the results of live speed tests and those recorded during the day on a galaxy note 2.

I dont think this was operating on the new vodafone 4G network but rather the comreg test bed area. So I cant say if it was 4G over 800, 900 or some other part of the spectrum. Maybe they moved around in the building to areas of poor coverage (due to the building??).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

This wasn't the test that Silicon Republic was at? Or are you involved with them by any chance?

This wasn't the test that Silicon Republic was at? Or are you involved with them by any chance?

Same test. Lots of media were invited. No I'm not with SR I'm with the link below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement