Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 product key shows only the last digits

Options
  • 21-11-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Help appreciated on how to see the whole Windows 8 product key?

I bought new HDD for my Asus laptop and want clean Windows installation of course.
    • System properties shows only last 4 or 5 digits, not the whole Product key.
    • There is no Windows sticker at the bottom of laptop.
    • Free product key finders can't see it neither.
    • Didn't get any Recovery media but Hidden Recovery partition is located on the original disk.
    • Asus tech support tells me this non-sense:
    Thank you for contacting the Asus support team.
    With reference to your query regarding the windows product key, please be advised that we cannot provide the windows key hence the unit can be restored to factory setting with either the original recovery dvd supplied with the unit or the F9 key to access the hidden partition but in your case you should have made a recovery image of the operating system and then reinstall it on the new drive.
    If you have any further questions, please let us know.
    Thank you.

Can Windows 8 really make bootable Windows installation DVD? And if so, does it make clean Windows or it comes with Widnows + Asus bloatware?

The Fcuk seriously!? if wanted restrictions in my life would have gone for Apple computer but this is a PC and they provide maintenance slot too so HDD upgrade is possible easily.

Windows product key is bided to motherboard what comes to Microsoft activation right?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

freestyla wrote: »
    Help appreciated on how to see the whole Windows 8 product key?

I bought new HDD for my Asus laptop and want clean Windows installation of course.
    • System properties shows only last 4 or 5 digits, not the whole Product key.
    • There is no Windows sticker at the bottom of laptop.
    • Free product key finders can't see it neither.
    • Didn't get any Recovery media but Hidden Recovery partition is located on the original disk.
    • Asus tech support tells me this non-sense:

Can Windows 8 really make bootable Windows installation DVD? And if so, does it make clean Windows or it comes with Widnows + Asus bloatware?

The Fcuk seriously!? if wanted restrictions in my life would have gone for Apple computer but this is a PC and they provide maintenance slot too so HDD upgrade is possible easily.

Windows product key is bided to motherboard what comes to Microsoft activation right?

Thanks.

the product key is usually a sticker on the box of most new manufactured pcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

try this - http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/

cant comment on it myself.

You can download an iso of windows8 where ever you want and just use your product key.

It'll be a clean windows install; no bloatware.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

The product key may be inside battery compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

the product key is usually a sticker on the box of most new manufactured pcs
    kaimera wrote: »

This seems to support win8! Will throw in the old HDD to see if could dig out the fecking key. thanks.

Windows key is not on a box sticker nor in battery compartment, thanks for suggesting.

haha another good from Asus tech support, what a bunch of copy-paste robots is working there?
    Me asking whether my new 9mm thick HDD could fit into K56CA or I have to go for a thinner 7mm drive:
    Thank you for contacting Asus technical support,....blah blah blah...do you really think we care about you after you paid for our product already.... blah blah...

^along those lines :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

I've read that MS have dropped the COA labels now.

We just received delivery of a Windows 8 machine preinstalled and it had no labels, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You might want to check this out Advanced Tokens Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

mp22 wrote: »
    You might want to check this out Advanced Tokens Manager

Just gave them a whirl there and it pulled the key off our OEM win 8 machine..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,348 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Windows 8 has a native utility recoverydrive.exe which can be used to create a bootable USB. It's usefulness can vary but usually for an OEM machine it will let you copy the contents of your recovery partition such that in addition to being system repair tools it can reinstall Windows. But as to where your key is I don't know.

When a flash drive doesn't work btw, some OEMs supply their own tools in the bloatware to create DVDs and such also.

Advertisement