Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time XBMC Htpc high end build - help request!

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a windows 7 OR 8 based HTPC that
    will run XBMC for my parents.

It's a christmas gift. I'm happy to pay for quality and efficiency,
    but I don't want to part with more cash than is necessary for their
    requirements - no need for overkill!

I'm happy to build the unit myself if it works out cheaper, but if
    there's a ready made / ready to go HTPC build or configuration I'd
    prefer to go for that for the sake of convenience.

REQUIREMENTS:
    I want a high spec machine that will play near enough
    everything that's thrown at it.
    Should be able to handle FULL HD, 1080P 3D movies
    Would like it to double as a KAREOKE machine [Would like
    proper microphone inputs if available] (I believe the XBMC
    software has kareoke capabilities?)
    Machine will be configured to bypass windows 8 start screen
    and boot straight into XBMC
    I would like a SSD for OS & XBMC installation and general
    responsiveness; content will be stored and accessed locally via
    SMB/NAS
    I would like the HTPC to be capable of running as SMB share -
    streaming content on external drives to other XBMC servers
    and devices
    Finally, I would like a relatively attractive case with a good
    form factor. Ideally fanless should the suggested spec allow for
    it, but definitely should be quiet!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read. Looking forward to
    your help and suggestions!

Comments

PC Building section is more appropriate:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

You will need a budget because everybody has a different idea of high-end. Especially for a HTPC.

Streacom do some nice aluminium HTPC cases, including some fanless ones. See komplett and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

xbmc? do you mean xpmc? win 7 home premium has media centre built into it and would do better than xp media centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

xbmc? do you mean xpmc? win 7 home premium has media centre built into it and would do better than xp media centre

No he means XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

How's this for a start?

Item|Price
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Define Mini|€84.59
    Intel Core i3-2120T Box, LGA1155|€111.23
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic|€79.99
    ASRock B75M-GL, Sockel 1155, mATX|€54.59
    Seasonic X-Series Fanless X-400FL 400W passiv|€114.99
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.05
    be quiet! Shadow Rock Topflow SR1|€43.21
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€535.64

Very quiet case, and well built (I'm using the same one for a server). Sound damping material throughout, and anti-vibration HDD bays (if you ever do want local storage).
    It has two fans, but you'll need some airflow in the case, or you could well get things overheating.
    128GB SSD and a motherboard to support SATA 3, 8GB of RAM, etc.
    Low power 35W TDP processor. Should be plenty for what you need, though I'm not sure how 3D is handled. I hate it, so I've never looked into it and know nothing about it. Might need a low-power passive GPU for that.
    Through in a good low-profile cooler that should fit fine in the case.
    Also included a fanless PSU as well.

You could go smaller if you wanted: An mITX case, etc. though that would probably be a little louder than this. Having said that, it might work out a bit cheaper. Depends what you're after.

Side note: Did you know you can install XBMC as an OS? You don't need Windows at all for it. It can be installed in what is just a stripped down Linux distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Thanks so much for all the comments so far.

Serephucus, that's a great start.

I've heard that you can install XBMC as an OS, which I suppose would be the ideal way of going about it but I thought I had to use a windows based OS if I wanted to have all my hard drives plugged into the machine and run it as a SMB server so that other windows pc's and XBMC servers could access the content.

The case size looks like it should be good. Shouldn't be a problem placing it on its side and shoving it in on top of their SKY box; I might have a look around and look at what other compact type options are available either way.

I don't suppose you know what would be needed for KAREOKE microphone support? I guess it would be dependent on a sound card - one with proper microphone inputs. I'm not sure what they're called - the fat ones!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vard wrote: »

I don't suppose you know what would be needed for KAREOKE microphone support? I guess it would be dependent on a sound card - one with proper microphone inputs. I'm not sure what they're called - the fat ones!

Thanks again

Thats XLR, and you'll need an external audio interface for that. A USB mic would do pretty much the same job though.

Get yourself two cheap rock band / guitar hero condenser mics.

These can be used perfectly well on a PC and they're actually quite decent quality. You'll pick them up for a pittance these days.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/OFFICIAL-Guitar-Hero-MICROPHONE-MIC-PS3-Xbox-360-Wii-ROCKBAND-U-Sing-UK-/271098066527?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item3f1eb4365f

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the help so far.

Here's one of the builds I've mocked up - comes to 336 euro as it is, excluding building / delivery - sorry I'm so clueless, but do you know how I can link the build as was done in the previous post?

Intel Core i3-2130 Box, LGA1155
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Mini-ITX, ohne Netzteil
    Onboard graphics
    Super-Flower SF400Atlas 12CM 400W
    SanDisk SSD 64GB 6,4cm S-ATA 600

So, what do you think? I've heard that any of the i3 chips should be able to do 1080p and 3d without a problem. Is there anything I've overlooked? I'm going to be using the intel onboard graphics controller - I don't figure I should need a proper graphics card just for XBMC?

Thanks again all

-- OH! One thing I'd like to add at some stage is a XBMC remote. Is that an easy process? Is it simply a case of installing a pci receiver? What configuration would be needed? If anyone has any recommendations on that front please do chime in! I'm all ears.

vard wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks so much for all the help so far.

Here's one of the builds I've mocked up - comes to 336 euro as it is, excluding building / delivery - sorry I'm so clueless, but do you know how I can link the build as was done in the previous post?

Intel Core i3-2130 Box, LGA1155
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Mini-ITX, ohne Netzteil
    Onboard graphics
    Super-Flower SF400Atlas 12CM 400W
    SanDisk SSD 64GB 6,4cm S-ATA 600

So, what do you think? I've heard that any of the i3 chips should be able to do 1080p and 3d without a problem. Is there anything I've overlooked? I'm going to be using the intel onboard graphics controller - I don't figure I should need a proper graphics card just for XBMC?

Thanks again all

-- OH! One thing I'd like to add at some stage is a XBMC remote. Is that an easy process? Is it simply a case of installing a pci receiver? What configuration would be needed? If anyone has any recommendations on that front please do chime in! I'm all ears.

You could just get one of these cheap hong kong jobs:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IR-PC-USB-Mouse-Windows-Media-Desktop-Computer-Center-Remote-Control-Controller-/230675912284?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item35b55b165c

Achilles wrote: »

That looks great! Thanks a lot - I think I'll hold off getting the remote until the system is delivered.

Changed the spec up a bit, decided to go with the i3 3225.

I'll probably go about sorting the mic / kareoke stuff when it's delivered. There's too much choice!

One thing I realised is that my ASROCK board comes with a CIR receiver. Now I'm not even sure what a CIR receiver is exactly, but apparently that means I should be able to buy / use a compatible remote.

I might try find a remote that includes a qwerty keyboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement