Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an insurance company, want to insure my young horse before I start bringing him out and about, just got a quote of 700 from Allianz which is a bit much for me to pay at the moment, Is that quote expensive or would that be the average

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Wexford insurance have an offer @ moment for €290 BUT no vet fees etc...
    Allianz are the only company who offer insurance with all the frills
    hollysf wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company, want to insure my young horse before I start bringing him out and about, just got a quote of 700 from Allianz which is a bit much for me to pay at the moment, Is that quote expensive or would that be the average

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think it's too expensive. And too much red tape. My opinion is to forget about it. Not too many bother with it anyway. Bar equestrian centres and riding schools, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

finbarrk wrote: »
    I think it's too expensive. And too much red tape. My opinion is to forget about it. Not too many bother with it anyway. Bar equestrian centres and riding schools, etc.

I would disagree wholeheartedly. What happens if something happens to the horse, he gets sick and needs vet treatment which costs thousands? What if the owners tack is stolen, or worse, the horse is stolen? What if the horse kicks someone or damages property?

These are all very expensive things to cover and without insurance you can be left open to a very empty pocket or a large loan down the line.

OP the try Wexford Insurance, they might be able to give you a cheaper quote. Also look at what you're insuring yourself and your horse for. Could you increase your excess, do you need trailer cover, is your public liability set to higher than 1million?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Will give them a shout and see, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Give Sweeney Walsh & Ass a call. 052 61 86882. Just got my horse box insured with them and they are looking to going in to full 'alianz' style insurance. I currently insure my horse with Ali but I#'m looking forward to some competition in this particular field soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

If its just public liability you want to protect yourself for, as far as I know if you join the British Horse Society they cover you, and at least you get something for your money. But if its the full deal you're after- vets, theft etc, it won't suit you.

Advertisement