Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm going off intermittently.

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

All,

I have a HKC alarm at home, every change of season, the alarm decides to go off in the middle of the night, and for several times. That happens usually when it's sunny in the morning, and cold at night. or when we light up the fire at night. (that's what I actually think!) Also, this happens only in the downstairs area, never in the upstairs.

I had the crowd that installed it out once before, and the lad said that the tampers are acting up, they're not useful anyway, so he disabled them. it went fine for about 3 months and now it's acting up again.

I rang the same crowd again, and they never got back to me (same as the first time, I had to ring several times, and every time, I was told they'll get back to me, and never did, until I really hasseled them). Now I don't want to deal with them anymore!

My question is: Do you think it's faulty sensors? and if so, where would I be able to buy the sensors from? they're the basic magnet ones.

Also, the Security company doesn't want to give me the Master password, and I need to ring them and get someone out to change the alarm code every time I need to. it's a big hassle to get someone out (you need to ring at least 5 or 6 times for them to schedule someone out), and it costs around 60 quid just for the call out. Any ideas on how to change it? I tried all the default codes but none of them works! Apparently they use the same master password for all their installations (according to their engineer) so if anyone knows what the password is for a specific company, I can PM the company's name.

Thank for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What is displaying on the keypad when you disarm it after an alarm.?
    Sounds like you have one or more faulty sensors. The guy should have known the difference between zone tampers and alarm activations . He should have checked the resistence on the zone as described here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452
    Unfortunately some lads in this business don't understand how to check resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

If you PM me the company name I might be able to help you out RE getting the code :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

rikili wrote: »
    All,

I have a HKC alarm at home, every change of season, the alarm decides to go off in the middle of the night, and for several times. That happens usually when it's sunny in the morning, and cold at night. or when we light up the fire at night. (that's what I actually think!) Also, this happens only in the downstairs area, never in the upstairs.

I had the crowd that installed it out once before, and the lad said that the tampers are acting up, they're not useful anyway, so he disabled them. it went fine for about 3 months and now it's acting up again.

I rang the same crowd again, and they never got back to me (same as the first time, I had to ring several times, and every time, I was told they'll get back to me, and never did, until I really hasseled them). Now I don't want to deal with them anymore!

My question is: Do you think it's faulty sensors? and if so, where would I be able to buy the sensors from? they're the basic magnet ones.

Also, the Security company doesn't want to give me the Master password, and I need to ring them and get someone out to change the alarm code every time I need to. it's a big hassle to get someone out (you need to ring at least 5 or 6 times for them to schedule someone out), and it costs around 60 quid just for the call out. Any ideas on how to change it? I tried all the default codes but none of them works! Apparently they use the same master password for all their installations (according to their engineer) so if anyone knows what the password is for a specific company, I can PM the company's name.

Thank for your help.

Sounds like an environmental issue if it is going off at specific times.
    Was the sensitivity of the sensors adjusted to your knowledge?
    If you P.M me the company I will check my list for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    Sounds like an environmental issue if it is going off at specific times.
    Was the sensitivity of the sensors adjusted to your knowledge? .

That doesn't explain or excuse the guy not being able to differentiate the difference between a tamper & a zone alarm. Or not correctly testing the zone while he was at it. Simply disconnecting the tamper is either the lazy way out or he doesn't understand resistance.

KoolKid wrote: »
    That doesn't explain or excuse the guy not being able to differentiate the difference between a tamper & a zone alarm. Or not correctly testing the zone while he was at it. Simply disconnecting the tamper is either the lazy way out or he doesn't understand resistance.

Never said it did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Thank you all for your replys,

KoolKid: When the alarm goes off, it displays Z2: sitting room, I can't remember what it says when I disarm it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same message as when you open a window when the alarm is set. Do you think I just need to test the resistors as per the thread you pointed at? And where would I be able to buy the sensors if one of then is faulty?

Thunderbird2 and altor: Thanks for your help, I PMed you the company name, I hope you could help.

Thanks all for your help.

Yes , the first thing any good engineer should do is check the resistance on that zone.

rikili wrote: »
    And where would I be able to buy the sensors if one of then is faulty?

Any of the suppliers here will be able to sort you out with replacements.
    If you don't find any faulty sensors adjust the sensitive of the sensors.

Advertisement