Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a nice place for lunch

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Got a friend over from UK for the weekend, having a day out in Galway on Saturday so looking for a nice place to go for lunch for two women-of-a-certain-age-about-town types, not too posh but somewhere decent where we can get a nice glass of wine or two, not dark and dingy and with decent service -maybe a tapas place or pasta or similar?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Cava on Dominick Street for tapas. Kai on Sea Road is nice for lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Vina Mara

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

I would have a look at Kai's menu before you go there. The food is nice but certainly not to everyones taste. Maxwells is lovely for lunch or dinner or The Front Door

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Upstairs in mccambridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Central bar, Woodquay. Very family friendly, the food is superb, and a great wine list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kai, just awarded the people choice award in the good food ireland awards and has recently been named the "best causal dining experience in Ireland" by good food ireland.

There is a little place with a french name which I forget across the road from Massimo that I had lunch in a few weeks back and it was delicious. la fine bouche was the name I thinl? Food was soooo good and very reasonably priced.

The the people who say.
    I would have a look at Kai's menu before you go there. The food is nice but certainly not to everyones taste.

Ignore them, the food is fantastic, it will be to the tastes of anyone who likes good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

What is the point of posting an opinion Seaneh if people are told to 'ignore them' as you did to my post? Kai is a lovely place but I've just heard of a few people lately who never checked the menu before going and and were disappointed then as it was not really dishes they would eat. Personally speaking I couldn't speak highly enough about Kai.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

wowee wrote: »
    What is the point of posting an opinion Seaneh if people are told to 'ignore them' as you did to my post? Kai is a lovely place but I've just heard of a few people lately who never checked the menu before going and and were disappointed then as it was not really dishes they would eat. Personally speaking I couldn't speak highly enough about Kai.
    You can see Seans point, anyone who books or goes to a restaurant without knowing whats on the menu or what the general style of food is should be ignored,imho.
    Il Vicolo suits your criteria OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Not fussed on Kai. Food is good, atmosphere is a little San Fran smug cloud for me. Overrated, but not not on the scale overratedness of the Gourmet Tart in Salthill. Have had a couple of experiences in there where the staff were incredibly rude, and have reached a point where I won't be going back. Food-wise very unremarkable IMO. Top of the pops - Ard Bia and Antons.

wowee wrote: »

Sorry. I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, I think people should be encouraged to try good, fresh, local, seasonal food when they have the chance and Kai for lunch is probably the cheapest place to do that in Galway (if not Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Again I can't recommend buskers enough. Great dinners, fish bar and salad options. Also your usual sambo and soup. Coffee refills are free and they have full bar too!

Seaneh wrote: »

There is a little place with a french name which I forget across the road from Massimo that I had lunch in a few weeks back and it was delicious. la fine bouche was the name I thinl? Food was soooo good and very reasonably priced.

excellent news. I've been meaning to pay that place a visit, but hadn't heard anything about it.

Gambas wrote: »
    excellent news. I've been meaning to pay that place a visit, but hadn't heard anything about it.

Yeah, I really liked it.
    The bread was amazing!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, I really liked it.
    The bread was amazing!

Stop. Too close to dinner time for this conversation:D

Oh, I forgot to say in my original post, Alchemy on Forster Street is really good too.

Was in there two weeks ago and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Definitely definitely ard bia. I go there with my mum for lunch when I'm back home. Lovely setting and delish food, a real galway gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Went to the malt house on Saturday for first time. Food was great. Nice and bright in terms of decor/atmosphere. Staff were nice. Just moved to galway and haven't eaten in most of the other places mentioned do don't know where it stands in comparison. Was very impressed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Central bar, Woodquay. Very family friendly, the food is superb, and a great wine list.

Wellllll ..... I'm sure there's plenty of whining happens there, not sure if it's what the OP had in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Wellllll ..... I'm sure there's plenty of whining happens there, not sure if it's what the OP had in mind though.

No one, and I mean no one, whines more than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

For lunch I'd go for Ard Bia at Nimmo's Restaurant under the Spanish Arch. It's the perfect location overlooking the river/sea, the owners & staff are really friendly and the food is locally sourced produce for a decent price. Wine list is (good) different too. Always had a good experience here.

I've not tried Kai yet despite hearing great things. Not the best location in Galway by any means, but I'll reserve my judgement till I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks everyone, we ended up going to Cava and it was lovely, delish food, good wine and good service and my friend paid, what's not to like..!! Thanks for all the recommendations!

Advertisement