Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez vs Redknapp - Settle an argument please

• 21-11-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this thread is not deemed worthy

A guy I work with has come out with the opinion that Harry Redknapp is a much better manager than Benitez. My argument has been based on comparing trophies won in which case Rafa trounces Harry and the fact that Rafa has won 2 league titles in the same division as Real and barca; but I keep getting stuff like Net Spend and the alonso-barry thing thrown back at me.

Perhaps being a Liverpool fan I am being biased here but am I crazy to think Harry cannot really be held in comparison to Rafa given that he has never really won anything or managed at a level above Spurs?

Rafa or 'Arry 209 votes

Rafa
    0% 0 votes
    'Arry
    100% 209 votes

Comments

Yeah, Harry is by far the better manager.

Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

x43r0 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this thread is not deemed worthy

A guy I work with has come out with the opinion that Harry Redknapp is a much better manager than Benitez. My argument has been based on comparing trophies won in which case Rafa trounces Harry and the fact that Rafa has won 2 league titles in the same division as Real and barca; but I keep getting stuff like Net Spend and the alonso-barry thing thrown back at me.

Perhaps being a Liverpool fan I am being biased here but am I crazy to think Harry cannot really be held in comparison to Rafa given that he has never really won anything or managed at a level above Spurs?

You need to slap that lad round the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Not even close imo, rafa trounces harry in this argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

another ridiculous thread.

pile em high and burn em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Redknapp all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah, Harry is by far the better manager.

Not even close.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDb7prXQKogsWZ83MpmtbXqALNPklMoIx6tzkmq0haAncoPfD-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Poll added for extra LOL's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Rafa for me, Harry did well for us but he only really got us to where we should have been in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Poll added for extra LOL's

In that case I vote Harry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rafa, and it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There really is no comparison. Redknapp is a chancer and fairly loathsome. Benitez sems decent enough and has a good track record.

Like comparing Del Trotters 3 wheeler with a BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Poll only needs one option. Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Rafa all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The 5 people who have voted for the Wheeler Dealer...have a strong word with yourselves :P

As most posters have said, this isn't even close.

Harry's FA Cup with Pompy easily trumps Rafa's Champions league, Uefa Cup, FA cup and a couple of La Ligas hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'd love to hear Jamie Redknapps opinion on this.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Poll should have been made public. These threads are a great filter usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Harry's FA Cup with Pompy easily trumps Rafa's Champions league, Uefa Cup, FA cup and a couple of La Ligas hands down.

You are forgetting that Harry got 4th spot once so that has to count in his favour. Benitez famously failed to get 4th once which has to count against him :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

They're yin and yang. Chelsea should appoint both, so as to bring about a good cop/bad cop managerial team capable of setting the stall out tactically and giving players the 'arm round the shoulder' they apparently all need every once in a while.

T'riffic, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I had to vote for Redknapp, I have never liked either but after Rafa at Inter I just wouldn't have him near a club again. I know there is a huge amount of bias there but I just dislike him that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Harry isn't fit to wipe Rafa's arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rafa is the bestest manager ever according to some fanboys on this forum so can only be him of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Next poll - Didier Drogba vs Danny Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Rafa is the bestest manager ever according to some fanboys on this forum so can only be him of course.

Nothing to do with his record, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Rafa all day long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Rafa all day long !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I voted Rafa.

However, I don't think the gap is as large as some of my fellow Liverpool fans (in particular) would argue.

Specifically the fact Rafa hasn't been coaching for three years plays a part in my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

'Arry the football manajyah

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You are forgetting that Harry got 4th spot once so that has to count in his favour. Benitez famously failed to get 4th once which has to count against him :cool:

Harry is even more astounding than you think, he got 4th twice, and Rafa failed to get in the 4 twice.

5starpool wrote: »
    Harry is even more astounding than you think, he got 4th twice, and Rafa failed to get in the 4 twice.

Rafa got fourth four times?!

EDIT: Sorry, he got top Four four times but only fourth once like you said.

Wasn't reading your post literally enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

noodler wrote: »

I think you're still off the mark

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

noodler wrote: »

More literal reading needed imo. Rafa failed to get in the top 4 twice is what I am saying. His first and last seasons. Of course he offset the first one with a little cup victory.

Well third time is a charm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manager who takes underdogs to champions league finals regularly v manager who takes underdogs to champions league once. How is this even a thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

My money's on 'arry by a whisker. But tbh neither of them are all that special. 'arry tactically niave but good motivator. Rafa's a poor judge of player and too defensive.

Stevie G won the Champion's league for Liverpool not Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Xavi6 wrote: »

Were you bullied by Liverpool fans when you were young or what?

aaronh007 wrote: »

Alrite, alrite, calm down, calm down....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

My money's on 'arry by a whisker. But tbh neither of them are all that special. 'arry tactically niave but good motivator. Rafa's a poor judge of player and too defensive.

Wow, just wow.

fúckin' hate that too defensive shíte.

Wow, just wow.

fúckin' hate that too defensive shíte.

Coz there's no such thing as too defensive. ;)

Can't wait for the Chelski fans to hear he's getting rid of Eden Hazard to make room for Gareth Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Obviously taking the piss! Stevie g didnt win it for is, played a big part it in alright but that final was the biggest team effort yall ever see.

When people say hes a defensive coach, which btw is a fine way to play the game, i simply say how many teams beat madrid 4-0 and united 4-1 in a week and are a defensive side :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Would explain a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Obviously taking the piss! Stevie g didnt win it for is, played a big part it in alright but that final was the biggest team effort yall ever see.

When people say hes a defensive coach, which btw is a fine way to play the game, i simply say how many teams beat madrid 4-0 and united 4-1 in a week and are a defensive side :confused:

Beat Villa 5-0 the same week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In a serious discussion, the opinions of Liverpool and Spurs fans should be discounted due to obvious bias.

Ofcourse over half of this forum are liverpool fans so it wouldn't be a very long discussion. Nothing can be learned from a poll when you are only polling one side.

Personally, I don't particularly rate either of them very highly. There are rather large sticks in which to beat them both with.

Redknapp took spurs to champions league football but Levy spent quite alot to make it happen and you could argue the following season he blew a huge lead by chronic mismanagement of his squad and rightfully got the sack.

Rafa took an inter team full of talent and achieved the square root of sod all. In contrast, Mourinho took the same team to champions league glory. There is a reason he has been out of work for so long.

The decision has to go to Rafa overall though. He is a better tactician and has won alot more than Redknapp, including the coveted champions league. It's not really a close race in my eyes. If 'Arry wasn't English, he would be nowhere near a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Rafa brought Lucas, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Arbeloa and Glen Johnson among others to Liverpool so he doesn't have that poor judgment of players.

As some posts say, beat Real Madrid twice and United once in one week. The year we finished second was the best football I've ever seen us play (I'm young though).

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Beat Villa 5-0 the same week

In all fairness those teams where heavily sedated by watching dvds of liverpool playing pre-match :D

Agree the second half against milan in that final liverpool were amazing. But from what i recall ye were torn apart in the first half with Harry Kewell playing CM and it was only when Kewell cried off injured that the changes that were clearly needed were made?

Would he have taken Kewell off himself and admitted to such a **** up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Trophies won decides this one.

Comfortable win for Rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

In all fairness those teams where heavily sedated by watching dvds of liverpool playing pre-match :D

Agree the second half against milan in that final liverpool were amazing. But from what i recall ye were torn apart in the first half with Harry Kewell playing CM and it was only when Kewell cried off injured that the changes that were clearly needed were made?

Would he have taken Kewell off himself and admitted to such a **** up?

Hard to say, only one down when kewell went off i believe, he should never have been starting anyways hamann really should have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

rafa every time, trophies speak for themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nearly choked on my tea there!

Rafa, to answer the question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement