Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training Relapse

Options
  • 21-11-2012 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

we have a boy who will be 4 in january, he is toilet trained about year and half at this stage
    last few weeks he has started wetting himself and number 2 again

we have tried everything, taking away the toys, reward charts, ignoring and it just goes on, he knows he is doing it, knows its wrong but just tells us "no I am going in my trousers and thats it"

pre school have told us they wont be able to take him if it continues

any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi Hugo,

I'm not qualified in the field, but have young children and read a lot.

Sounds to me like there might be psychological issues at play.

Is there any conflict in the home or other traumatic stuff going on? Is he happy in child care? Is he being properly treated in child care?

"Wrong" is definitely the wrong word to describe this and it won't be helping if you're thinking this way. The behaviour is definitely undesirable though.

You need to know what's driving this. Your child may be using it to get attention or as a way of expressing anger.

I would concentrate less on this behaviour and more on trying and understand the cause. Ignore the behaviour while trying to talk with your child to understand what's going on with him. It will need patience and him getting the impression that you are genuinely interested in what's going on with him.

Some thoughts. I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

di11on wrote: »
    Hi Hugo,

I'm not qualified in the field, but have young children and read a lot.

Sounds to me like there might be psychological issues at play.

Is there any conflict in the home or other traumatic stuff going on? Is he happy in child care? Is he being properly treated in child care?

"Wrong" is definitely the wrong word to describe this and it won't be helping if you're thinking this way. The behaviour is definitely undesirable though.

You need to know what's driving this. Your child may be using it to get attention or as a way of expressing anger.

I would concentrate less on this behaviour and more on trying and understand the cause. Ignore the behaviour while trying to talk with your child to understand what's going on with him. It will need patience and him getting the impression that you are genuinely interested in what's going on with him.

Some thoughts. I could be wrong.

no thanks for that, funny thing is he loves the child care, he was in a place previously where he hated it and we only found out after we took him out that he was scared because there was a boy there who pushed the other kids and hit them,

he is very sensitive since this, but where he is now, loves it there runs in after a quick cuddle at door, has a couple great pals he talks about and is happy,

we did have a second boy 14 months ago so unless he is seeking attention, now he did get accidentally locked in a toilet few weeks ago and we were wondering if this has triggered it but he was having accidents (although less frequent before this)

we are really trying to be patient and have tried to discuss it with him but he point blank refuses to go to toilet even if we try to go with him

Advertisement