Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying a re-bodied or hybrid landrover

• 21-11-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Looking at the idea of using a re-bodied vintage landrover with modern body to tow a boat. I need something that can tow 3T capably.

Something put together properly and with the chassis and suspension rebuilt and in good order.

I've seen loads of the so called hybrids but most are put together by people with little or no care and I wouldn't trust one of them to tow.

Any ideas on who to talk to or where to look for such a beast?

The car will be used maybe 10 times a year but has to be able transport family as well so commercial tax isn't really a runner. I like the idea of being able to leave the car in a shed dry and snug for most of the year and not paying a fortune to the revenue for the privilege of not using it. It wont be my main car and I'll add it as a second car to my insurance if AXA will be reasonable on the additional cost.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's my opinion most of these are simply modern vehicles operating on vintage tax books.

if you are only using it a little, why not get a proper Landy..I'd love an excuse to get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Looked @ 110's and defenders but the only ones here are silly money or "only needs tidying up" types.

However I'm open to correction and if I could get a LandRover that is Vintage taxable seats 5 in reasonable running order for less than the price of my first born I'd consider it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

If you get a 1998 Discovery body, that is, for example, on a 1979 chassis from a series landrover, in legal terms, the vehicle is the 1979 jeep not the 1996 one.

So just from an insurance point of view alone, I would enquire as to whether you can take out an additional regular policy on a vehicle that is 1979, some insurance companys have age limits for regular policys

If you are going to insure it as a 1979 series landrover, with vintage/classic insurance, (for all to be above board) you would need to declare that it has been modified with a newer type body, engine and running gear. Not saying it is going to be an issue, its just something to be aware of. Being insured to tow a trailer is not standard on a vintage policy either, so would need to be added if all was to be above board.

Would a crew cab pick-up jeep be an option for you, I know they can be difficult to tax the first time around, but if you managed it, tax would only be €300 per year

Then again whats wrong with buying a genuine old Landrover or Range rover thats fitted with a better engine, cost less, no legal tape and cheap tax:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4043405

Here is a Discovery on vintage ZV plates: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4086446

And this guy seems to bulid and sell a lot of them: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3182133

Thats my advice on things to think about if they're any use to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I hate to be the cynic here but why not just buy a pre 1980 land rover. The mechanicals with be the exact same with the same towing capacity.
    Or is it that you want the modern look without the taxation cost as is usually the case with this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Or is it that you want the modern look without the taxation cost as is usually the case with this sort of thing.

Here Carchae, I'll throw you a bone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'd be wary of all of those in the Tipp DD advert, been discussed several times before.

It is possible to put a Disco 1 body on an early RR chassis, they are identical and there's some genuine conversions around, most are simple chassis plate and log book swaps though :rolleyes:

Series Land Rovers with later engines and parabolic springs are popular but decent ones can cost you as much as a Defender, you'd also probably have to go to the UK for a decent one.

Good RR classics are getting desirable but most will be terminally rusty around the inner body frame.

Downside of not using something regularly is that seals etc dry out, LRs especially like to be used. Used to only tax my 101 for 6 months in the UK and at least one hub seal or brake cylinder would go when I first took it out after the lay up.

I hate to be the cynic here but why not just buy a pre 1980 land rover. The mechanicals with be the exact same with the same towing capacity.
    macplaxton wrote: »
    Here Carchae, I'll throw you a bone :rolleyes:

Not really bothered about the look, I actually like the defender style :)

More interested in wind up windows, a heating system that heats, not being deafened on a long journey and at 6' 4" being able to fit comfortably.

Last defender I drove I could steer with my knees and the handbrake was trying to hump my thigh.

That definitely puts Series and Defenders out of the frame although Defenders can be improved with bulkhead removal bar, mudrails (moves seat back), Disco handbrake on top of seatbox and a smaller steering wheel.

There are some Disco 1s registered as commercials with the seats in if you look around but you'd have trouble keeping that when you re-register it.

101sean wrote: »
    I'd be wary of all of those in the Tipp DD advert, been discussed several times before.
    Good to know, Thanks
    .....there's some genuine conversions around, most are simple chassis plate and log book swaps though :rolleyes:
    Gotcha, yep not interested in that kind of messing about, too long in the tooth for that and pulling around a 27 foot motorboat I'll have enough interest from the boys in blue. I suspect I'll know the weight of the tow vehicle, trailer and boat intimately and at every weighbridge in Ireland :D Last thing I'll need is an enthusiastic Traffic Corp Garda being disappointed to find out I'm legal for towing the weight and going on a one man crime fighting spree using my car and a fine-tooth comb.:eek:

Series Land Rovers with later engines and parabolic springs are popular but decent ones can cost you as much as a Defender, you'd also probably have to go to the UK for a decent one.
    I'd agree with you on that. I suspect UK is definitely going to feature in my hunt.

Downside of not using something regularly is that seals etc dry out, LRs especially like to be used. Used to only tax my 101 for 6 months in the UK and at least one hub seal or brake cylinder would go when I first took it out after the lay up.
    I'm reasonably mechanically competent so not too frightened by haveing to lay a car up and prep it for a few months use. But point taken.

Sounds like you'd manage a Land Rover no problem, you'd get bored with a Jap 4x4!

Most full size 4x4s will tow 3.5t, all LRs bar Freelander and Evoque are rated to 3.5t. Defenders are good for 4t with a power braked trailer although I've never come across one!

What you want is hard to find here because of the punitive tax regime, having a cheap 4x4 for towing, winter, etc is common in the UK but too expensive here.

• Advertisement

What you want is hard to find here because of the punitive tax regime, having a cheap 4x4 for towing, winter, etc is common in the UK but too expensive here.

Hence my original question, despite comments from the peanut gallery, about a rebodied LR.

Hunting for a reasonable 3.5T capable 4x4 that I can fit into, that can seat 5 or more and has vintage tax is harder than it sounds.

Think it's time to start scouring the UK 4x4 scene and investigate the hassles involved in importing a vintage car, vrt insurance etc.

Did toyota make a decent amazon equivalent before '81?

John

You might find an early 60 series if you hunt around, introduced in 1980. The previous model, BJ55? have probably all rusted away now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jwt wrote: »
    Hence my original question, despite comments from the peanut gallery, about a rebodied LR.

Hunting for a reasonable 3.5T capable 4x4 that I can fit into, that can seat 5 or more and has vintage tax is harder than it sounds.

Think it's time to start scouring the UK 4x4 scene and investigate the hassles involved in importing a vintage car, vrt insurance etc.

John

there are no hassles importing a classic, It's dead simple. drive off the ferrry, book at appointment with the NCTS within 7 days,pay €200 (do not pass go) complete the process within 30 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

jwt wrote: »

John

There is nobody throwing peanuts from the cheap seats here!
    Vintage/vetern road tax is a consession to old car enthusiasts so they can enjoy their cars on the road.
    As was mentioned on many other threads, this concession could be lost if its seen to be abused.

Advertisement