Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Google Analytics Setup Q - targeting multiple countries

Options
  • 21-11-2012 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question in relation to setting up a new Google Analytics account for a website that will have in reality, different sites. For example:

www.example.com
    www.example.ie
    www.example.co.uk

Should I set up a separate GA account for each site. As in, a unique gmail address for each log in. Is there a way to set up through the one gmail, then add different profiles within that?

When I set up a new GA account, I am asked to enter the domain when setting it up. So, in this case, it would be www.example.com. But, if I want to generate code for the .ie and the .co.uk, it would mean separate GA accounts, right?

Sounds like a stupid question I know...

After looking around I see I should be looking at multi top level domain tracking.

I went ahead and set up separate profiles for .com, .ie and .co.uk within the GA account. This, from what I can see, should work fine.

But now it brings me to a question on multi top level domain tracking.

If I went and set up another profile, let's say the .com is the global site, and turned on the multi top level domain tracking at set up, would this just mean I'd be able to see all data under one profile, as opposed to having to click into each profile the way I currently have it set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Im a bit confused – but I’ll take a stab on my understanding of things

You can have the same Google account and have different GA accounts under that – under the same login –

You can set up the same GA tracking code and paste it info the .com, .ie, and .co.uk. Then you will see the combined traffic for all three sites.

Then you can begin to assign filters to that data. One called the “.com filter” one called the” .ie filter” and one the “.co.uk”. Each filter will be able to extract data from the master data (leaving that intact) according to some logic – in this case it would be the hostname.

Each host is different therefore each can be filtered.

Its then up to you what you want to do – look at all or individual and work from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I set it up as per the screenshot. I think that should do it.

sorry. Attached now.

Just to get the behind the scenes:

its a Multiple Domains tracking code?

Are you going to filter them?

I just added 4 different properties under the one account. So, in theory tracking 4 different site.

From what I can see, each UA-12345678-1 is different , the end number changes.....

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I just added 4 different properties under the one account. So, in theory tracking 4 different site.

From what I can see, each UA-12345678-1 is different , the end number changes.....

Which is true - but wheres the combined data?

I don't necessarily need to see the combined data.

However, if I did, should it be a case of setting up another profile for www.example.com , then turning on the multi level domain tracking option........

I might do this just for curiosity.......

I don't necessarily need to see the combined data.

Ahhhhh Haaaaaaaaa - I was at cross purposes here! (possibly with myself)

As to looking for a combined - i dont know if you can at that point as you have in the (say) .ie a code of UA-12345678-4 with no reference to a "master" account UA-12345678-1 - its just in its profile. there is no tracking the combined

If it were me - and remembering 'everyone has an opinion' - in this case I'd have set the tracking code the same in each domain then a filter for each domain on that master account as the domain is so easily identified.

So I'd have one "master account" the data from the .com+.ie+.co.uk+.se combined - because its the same GA code and a filter for each TLD based on a filter for a separate host .com or .ie or .co.uk or .se.

I see your point. But my confusion, is if I added in the master account and added in www.example.com, is that going to take precedence over www.example.ie. For example, will traffic from www.example.com show up as referral traffic in reports for www.example.ie.

I suppose the same could happen as I have it set up currently regarding referral traffic............

Under the way you have it - no - the cumulative will not appear as the all have separate tracking codes, but all under the same profile.

I'd pause and see what you want to achieve in the long run. If at one point you want to see what "example Inc" is doing overall the the one tracking is the only way forward. There are a couple of steps before you have to implement - but if you need I'll fire you links on that.

Always remember once you track data under one code you realy cants turn back without abandoning the collected data up to the change.

• Advertisement

I see your point. But my confusion, is if I added in the master account and added in www.example.com, is that going to take precedence over www.example.ie. For example, will traffic from www.example.com show up as referral traffic in reports for www.example.ie.

I suppose the same could happen as I have it set up currently regarding referral traffic............
    I'm only after re-reading this now.

If you use one tracking code across 4 sites you'll get a single piece of data that will be the combination of all that data.
    There will be no "dominant domain" the .com wont be the king!
    All the data will be the data of "Example Inc" - you can then refine that using filters to extract the different feeds (with a few bits added to the code in each site)

None of these will be seen as referential for - to get the tech - they all have the same tracking cookie and will be taken as the same data stream.

So - that seem to cover that! :confused:

Advertisement