Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this racist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

old hippy wrote: »
    Or perhaps it was yet another needless forum for those who love a good moan about "pc" types?

Do you think it's racist?

Do I think what my friend said was racist? No I don't, at all, but I'm happy to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

I wouldn't call the thread needless, it stirred quite a debate on Saturday night and I was curious as to what the thoughts were here.

Did you think it was racist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rasheed wrote: »
    Do I think what my friend said was racist? No I don't, at all, but I'm happy to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

I wouldn't call the thread needless, it stirred quite a debate on Saturday night and I was curious as to what the thoughts were here.

Did you think it was racist?

I don't but it is a generalisation. I'm sure your mate isn't a racist.

Love see no colour, bro :)

I don't but it is a generalisation. I'm sure your mate isn't a racist.

Oh I quite agree it was a generalisation but I think you'll agree that most black ladies have big lips?

I'm very sorry you feel this thread is pointless, I was genuinely only looking for opinions!

EDIT: you never answered my question! Do you think it was racist, whether he ment in to be or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

why is it discrimination??
    Because it is... :confused:

www.dictionary.com

Look up the meaning of the word "discrimination"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

But lust does.
    seamus wrote: »

www.dictionary.com

It is not discrimination to suggest that some black women have big lips.

Oh I quite agree it was a generalisation but I think you'll agree that most black ladies have big lips?

I'm very sorry you feel this thread is pointless, I was genuinely only looking for opinions!

That's the problem, when opinion is presented as fact. Whether you agree or not.

Some black/mixed race girls I know do, some don't. It's not something that keeps me awake at night, tbh. The current Mrs o.h. might not like that :D

smash wrote: »
    It is not discrimination to suggest that some black women have big lips.
    That's not what we were referring to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

are you serious??
    why is it discrimination?? is it because a fair skinned person burns more easily than a dark skinned person and so is advised to stay on a sun bed less. You call that discrimination. What a load of twaddle. Personally, I would call it common sense.

:cool:

I don't think you know what discrimination means. Discrimination occurs when a choice depends or is effected by the discriminant.

When choosing a barber I discriminate based on proximity. Proximity being the discriminant.

Once again a word has become warped by the media.

That's not what we were referring to.
    Right, so you were talking about the sunbed thing then... It's also not discrimination, it's a health and safety precaution.

Right, so you were talking about the sunbed thing then... It's also not discrimination, it's a health and safety precaution.

It is discrimination and a health and safety precaution. Discrimination in this instance is important out well being.

• Advertisement

It is discrimination and a health and safety precaution. Discrimination in this instance is important out well being.
    I swear the world has gone mad. Does it really matter what the dictionary meaning of "Discrimination" is when it comes to a health and safety matter? Saying it's discrimination makes it sound sinister.

Saying it's discrimination makes it sound sinister.
    That's your ****.

I'm not going to avoid using perfectly cromulent words just because some people attach an emotional bias to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd love to meet one of these mythical pc types, so beloved of internet forums :D

Aint mythical mate. Tons out there. I personally encounted such a 'pc sterotype' in september just gone.

I was on a course and it was the instructor in question. She just had a hard on for wanting people to make comments... (There is a big difference between racist comments and manipulating comments into racist remarks) ... she did the latter. So much. She would start conversations just to see if someone would say something she could twist.

All just pc crap out of her.
    Looking back, i think she took it upon herself to try and "re-educate people" about racism. So yes ... there are moral crusaders out there.

I'm not going to avoid using perfectly cromulent words just because some people attach an emotional bias to them.

Does that mean acceptable to use the N word for it's original historic meaning again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

www.dictionary.com

i have been around long enough to understand what the word discrimination is.

you're arguments are non-sensical and meaningless.

I swear the world has gone mad. Does it really matter what the dictionary meaning of "Discrimination" is when it comes to a health and safety matter? Saying it's discrimination makes it sound sinister.

I use "discrimination" the way it's supposed to be used. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong or immoral about discrimination. It is necessary for all our benefit.

"

is this supposed to be some kind of an explanation for your post :D:D

reminds me of the saying

why?
    "that's the why"

covers a multitude - however, it doesn't answer the question put to you.

as I said, The world has gone mad.

carry on tho, I'll stay on the side of common sense, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

9959 wrote: »
    Not at all. Hugh Hefner is over 14, as far as I'm concerned yourself and Hugh can objectify to your heart's desire. 'Allowed' doesn't apply.

I thought that using ridicule was a legitimate way to a point on these boards, is that not 'allowed'?

It's okay, we objectify men too.

• Advertisement

Clearly not. Your sentences are non-sensical and meaningless btw. Proofread. kthxbye.

as I said, The world has gone mad.

carry on tho, I'll stay on the side of common sense, thanks

I'll stay on the side of not being brainwashed thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

You are thinking that discrimination is always a negative term, it isn't.

Aint mythical mate. Tons out there. I personally encounted such a 'pc sterotype' in september just gone.

I was on a course and it was the instructor in question. She just had a hard on for wanting people to make comments... (There is a big difference between racist comments and manipulating comments into racist remarks) ... she did the latter. So much. She would start conversations just to see if someone would say something she could twist.

All just pc crap out of her.
    Looking back, i think she took it upon herself to try and "re-educate people" about racism. So yes ... there are moral crusaders out there.

Well, I can only take your word but let's be fair, some people do need education on racism and what it entails. That's not being pc. Just read some of the far worse threads than this one and the astounding ignorance that abounds.

Having been on the receiving end of racist remarks, directed to me or the wife or family and friends, I guess one does get prickly over remarks made. Innocent, ignorant or otherwise. It's not a pc conspiracy, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be nice to each other and not single out someone's skin colour etc.

My tuppence worth, at any rate.

Well, I can only take your word but let's be fair, some people do need education on racism and what it entails. That's not being pc. Just read some of the far worse threads than this one and the astounding ignorance that abounds.

Having been on the receiving end of racist remarks, directed to me or the wife or family and friends, I guess one does get prickly over remarks made. Innocent, ignorant or otherwise. It's not a pc conspiracy, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be nice to each other and not single out someone's skin colour etc.

My tuppence worth, at any rate.

But you must remember ... it was not a "how not to be a racist" course. Was just a fas course :P I know you dont know the person in question. So you can only go on what I say. But trust me... it was just too much. As I say, there is a difference between commenting on racist remarks & twisting comments into racist remarks. Thats what she did.

But anyways, back to the thread... if i wanted to state "black girls generally have great big asses compared to white girls" that dosed make me racist! (its true as well by the way lol)

But you must remember ... it was not a "how not to be a racist" course. Was just a fas course :P I know you dont know the person in question. So you can only go on what I say. But trust me... it was just too much. As I say, there is a difference between commenting on racist remarks & twisting comments into racist remarks. Thats what she did.

But anyways, back to the thread... if i wanted to state "black girls generally have great big asses compared to white girls" that dosed make me racist! (its true as well by the way lol)

If you say so. I've gone out with lots of white girls with big bottoms. Probably more than "normal" (whatever that entails) bottoms.

Maybe it says more about my love of the big backside, though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Goodness me. I'm shocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yez do. Every time im in town, I can feel the wimminz strip me with their eyes....i'm just a life support system for a sexy belly to them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nodin wrote: »
    Yez do. Every time im in town, I can feel the wimminz strip me with their eyes....i'm just a life support system for a sexy belly to them....

Yup, that's what we're after alright. Can't get enough of yizzer bellies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Was out at the weekend and the lads in our group were describing their perfect woman. This certain lad said he loved black woman's lips, as in big lips.

Another member of the group then tackled him saying that it was a very racist thing to say. I personally disagreed with her. So it started out a debate in our group.

What do you think? Was it a racist to say? And not just about lips either but say a 'black woman's arse' or 'Jewish nose'.

What is acceptable, if anything, and what isn't?

No that story is just an example of how silly PC has become. To just describe a difference is seen as racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It might be racist if he said he DIDN'T like black woman's lips.

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    But would it be either? If he didn't like big lips? I don't know, it's a pure minefield if you dare mention race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

juan.kerr wrote: »

I don't think it would, no more than saying you don't like freckles or blue eyes, it would just be a personal preference. If you are not attracted to something then thats that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

For me its rascist because of the stereotyping involved, it sounds like something you'd get in one of those 'almost politically correct redneck' memes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yup, that's what we're after alright. Can't get enough of yizzer bellies :)

....aye - "bounce it off me fat boy"......."Give us a slap of that".....Its like I'm not even human to them.....sometimes I just go home and cry and cry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So once you go beyond puberty people aren't allowed objectify others sexually?
    Yeh I don't get this objectification thing. I might say I love when a guy is stubbly but that doesn't mean I don't give a sh1t about a guy's personality, brain, all the other stuff.
    A trait is just a trait. If I were to say "the black guy is hot" in reference to the only black guy in a group, technically that's racist (apparently so anyway) but hardly worth giving a sh1t about, it's just a prominent trait that differentiates him from the others. There is no malice, I'm not thinking white power thoughts; anyone who'd get offended is someone who's belittling actual serious instances of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I wish more white women had a ghetto booties. I hate women without curves, might as well be having sex with a plank of wood.

I find that offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Scioch wrote: »
    Nah thats not racist, its a trait specific to black women and its not derogatory.

This.

If you say so. I've gone out with lots of white girls with big bottoms. Probably more than "normal" (whatever that entails) bottoms.

Maybe it says more about my love of the big backside, though...

you've never been with a black girl so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

****. It isn't specific to Black women. I know many Pacific Islanders, Indians, and Native Americans who have full lips. Making generalizations like that fall on the ignorant side and fast approach racist stereotyping. People assume that because a stereotype may be positive, it means that it is okay. :rolleyes:

In your friend's defense, his comment was racialized but not racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'd just like to know what the point of this stupid assed thread is :rolleyes:

By now its a 10 page big-ass thread.

BA-ZING!

• Advertisement

But would it be either? If he didn't like big lips? I don't know, it's a pure minefield if you dare mention race.

So you unwittingly walked into the 'pure' minefield with your opening post.

Also, in my opinion, your use of the word 'dare' is something of a giveaway, and renders the question marks that precedes it little more than window dressing.

Had you omitted the word 'dare', then your questions might have been read as genuine and not as rhetorical fluff.

No fence-sitter you, so stop pretending.

So you unwittingly walked into the 'pure' minefield with your opening post.

Also, in my opinion, your use of the word 'dare' is something of a giveaway, and renders the question marks that precedes it little more than window dressing.

Had you omitted the word 'dare', then your questions might have been read as genuine and not as rhetorical fluff.

No fence-sitter you, so stop pretending.
    No what I was trying to find out was what is socially acceptable with regards to traditional ethnic traits. See, if my friend said he hated black woman's lips, he would automatically be branded as racist.

But since he complimented them, it's more vague.

And I think you are nit picking my posts so you can find a more sinister twist to my story.

My opinion, which I stated in the opening post, was that I didn't consider it racist but was open to other people's views, no more, no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh I don't get this objectification thing. I might say I love when a guy is stubbly but that doesn't mean I don't give a sh1t about a guy's personality, brain, all the other stuff.
    A trait is just a trait. If I were to say "the black guy is hot" in reference to the only black guy in a group, technically that's racist (apparently so anyway) but hardly worth giving a sh1t about, it's just a prominent trait that differentiates him from the others. There is no malice, I'm not thinking white power thoughts; anyone who'd get offended is someone who's belittling actual serious instances of racism.

Personally I think the world has gone PC mad specifically about black racism. Its easy to forget that to call an Irish Person a dumb Paddy/Mick/Potatoe farmer is racial stereotyping but it certainly wouldnt garner the same disgust publically as saying you dumb black b*stard . .

Only recently had an argument with a friend whose very sensistive about what he perceives to be racism. I think that the context that language used is important. I remember playing FIFA with him a couple of years ago and I called one of my players a donkey cause he missed a tackle. It didnt even occur to me that the player was black (I always think of "donkey Adams"), but he turns and says that some people might find that to be a racist comment.

I also heard a fantastic interview (http://www.thefreesociety.org/Columnists/Stuart-Waiton/snobs-law) that basically highlights the hyperbole that surrounds racism in modern UK and Ireland.

you've never been with a black girl so :pac:

:rolleyes:

Drumpot wrote: »
    Personally I think the world has gone PC mad specifically about black racism. Its easy to forget that to call an Irish Person a dumb Paddy/Mick/Potatoe farmer is racial stereotyping but it certainly wouldnt garner the same disgust publically as saying you dumb black b*stard . .

You lost me at "PC mad".

Seriously, what a pile of pish. I've been called all sorts and it's pretty disgusting. My wife, too and previous girlfriends. Until you experience it, feel your heart beating like it's going to explode, the anger, the helplessness... you haven't got a clue.

Nothing PC about standing up to racists and hilighting it.

I mean, "PC mad", is that the best you can come up with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't think a comment like that was racist. Now if in the comment he said " he hated" then that was a different story IMHO the person who objected is one of the PC crowd that can go a little overboard at times.

How would that be different?

I love black people, i hate black people - both statements are equally stupid and equally racist.

I have no problem with the statement, but just because it was positive rather than negative doesn't change things one iota. I personally don't think it's racist to say he loves black womens lips, but i also don't think it would be racist to say he hates them.

No what I was trying to find out was what is socially acceptable with regards to traditional ethnic traits. See, if my friend said he hated black woman's lips, he would automatically be branded as racist.

But since he complimented them, it's more vague.

And I think you are nit picking my posts so you can find a more sinister twist to my story.

My opinion, which I stated in the opening post, was that I didn't consider it racist but was open to other people's views, no more, no less.

The simple answer is - depending on the company you keep - some would find it acceptable, others would find it unacceptable.

In my opinion, stating preferences for body parts or sizes and linking said preferences to what you label as 'traditional ethnic traits' is tantamount to racial stereotyping, which at best is inaccurate and lazy, but at its worst can, for some, consolidate and cement existing racial prejudice, by using physical or perceived physical differences as a starting point or as an argument clincher.

By the way, I'd still like to hear why you used the word 'dare' in your previous post if it wasn't an indication of how you yourself felt about the topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

In my opinion, stating preferences for body parts or sizes and linking said preferences to what you label as 'traditional ethnic traits' is tantamount to racial stereotyping, which at best is inaccurate and lazy, but at its worst can, for some, consolidate and cement existing racial prejudice, by using physical or perceived physical differences as a starting point or as an argument clincher

Does the statement imply that all people are not equal?
    No.

One person might like freckly boobs, another likes creamy white ones, another likes black ones. This doesn't imply anything about racist leanings, just personal aesthetic preferences. Its no different than going for blondes over brunettes.

People are not all the same, and particular races share particular traits.

Otherwise there would be no such thing as races, which would make racism a bit tricky and ruin approx 50% of AH threads.

The simple answer is - depending on the company you keep - some would find it acceptable, others would find it unacceptable.

In my opinion, stating preferences for body parts or sizes and linking said preferences to what you label as 'traditional ethnic traits' is tantamount to racial stereotyping, which at best is inaccurate and lazy, but at its worst can, for some, consolidate and cement existing racial prejudice, by using physical or perceived physical differences as a starting point or as an argument clincher.

By the way, I'd still like to hear why you used the word 'dare' in your previous post if it wasn't an indication of how you yourself felt about the topic?

For the precise reason you stated at the top to be honest.

Some find it acceptable and some don't. To mention a different race, or compare races,in regards to any aspect of life,whether good,bad or indifferent, you are going to open a can of worms.

That's what I ment by 'dare'. I'm anonymous here and only wanted other people's perspective as I am probably biased that my friend didn't mean it in a derogatory way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

[B]In my opinion, stating preferences for body parts or sizes and linking said preferences to what you label as 'traditional ethnic traits' is tantamount to racial stereotyping, which at best is inaccurate and [/B]lazy, but at its worst can, for some, consolidate and cement existing racial prejudice, by using physical or perceived physical differences as a starting point or as an argument clincher.

I'll retract any statement I ever made about people of European descent having white skin, then, and offer a full apology.

Advertisement