Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Electrical cable coming from ceiling

• 21-11-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to replace a light in my bathroom on the ceiling, I've removed the old light and there is only a few inches of cable left, went up to the attic to see if there was more slack.

The new light I bought is pretty tricky to connect up without some slack - what would I need to extend this cable.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Put a junction box in the attic and you can have any length of cable in the room.

like this http://www.hager.ie/building-automation-wiring-accessories/wiring-accessories/junction-boxes/traditional-junction-box/1434.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Thanks for the reply

Is there something like this I can get to add to the end of the cable that's hanging from the ceiling? I just need another couple of inches on the cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The light and connection may need to be IP Rated to prevent moisture from getting into it,seen as its in a bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

Is there something like this I can get to add to the end of the cable that's hanging from the ceiling? I just need another couple of inches on the cable.

It might sound like a right pain but considering its in a bathroom, exposed to moisture its probably best to do it once and do it right, as Paddy said an IP rated junction box & a small length of the correct cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Ok great thanks - now I understand why it needs to be in the attic.

I went to woodies looking for a length of this cord but they only sold it by the roll. Does anywhere sell say a meter or two?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Ok great thanks - now I understand why it needs to be in the attic.

I went to woodies looking for a length of this cord but they only sold it by the roll. Does anywhere sell say a meter or two?

Any decent electrical wholesalers will sell you 1.5 Twin & Earth by the meter.

Michael Garry
    CEF
    TEG
    Eurosales
    Botanic DIY/Wholesalers

and many more.

Advertisement