Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lots of problems at work

• 21-11-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've worked in the same care home for 6 and a half years now. The majority of the time, there's been slight hiccups, but they have been resolved and I've enjoyed working there.

2 years ago, a new manager started. She doesn't listen to any problems I have, and seems to enjoy telling other members of staff what I've spoke to her about. Nothing at all is confidential. And her attitude is 'if you don't like something, you know where the door is' (which she's said to quite a few members of staff, including myself). She makes next to no attempt to resolve issues, and she provides absolutely no support to staff. Staff morale is seriously low, and has been for well over a year now.

There's quite a few things that I want to report, mainly regarding the safety of residents, problems with the way nurses do their jobs, and terrible moving and handling techniques, but I don't feel that I can speak to the manager about anything and have absolutely no idea who else I can complain to.

Also, I rang in sick on Saturday. Was due back yesterday for a 12 hour shift, but they sent me home because I hadn't followed the correct procedure for when you're well enough to go back in (which had been put in place in a staff meeting that I wasn't allowed to attend a couple of weeks ago because was working.........And the minutes to the meeting hadn't been put up since I was last on shift. Only found out about the new procedure when they told me I hadn't followed it!). And I now have to have a meeting with the manager because of it. It feels like I'm being penalised for being ill (I've rang in ill twice in the whole time I've been there).

I just feel at a total loss as to what I can do about it all. Is really starting to get me down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Join a union is one option - deal with the issues as they come up is another.

Keep a log. Make sure you are well informed about disciplinary procedures (most people haven't a clue that they have powers such as cross examination of witnesses) and if all else fails there is all ways the tribunal. Employers are over a barrel in this country, especially when they act like donkey-bonnets.

Don't let the bar-stewards get you down.

Advertisement