Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Fight 2013 - GSP vs Spider, Spider vs Bones, Bones vs JDS?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Can we run a poll Mod : ) ?

Which fight would you like to see in 2013 if you could only see one? If none of the above then which other fight would beat any of these?

a) GSP vs Silva

b) Silva vs Jones

c) Jones vs Junior Dos Santos

And who would win your dream fight and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Chael Sonnen v Jon Jones and Aldo v Edgar is enough for me to be content with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

even though Chael has no chance in hell ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

even though Chael has no chance in hell ;) ?

How dare you refer to the undefeated Light Heavyweight and Middleweight champion of the world like that! :P

To answer OP, I would go with "b" or "c" - I don't really see GSP offering much opposition to Silva, might get a few take downs, but I just don't think he could do enough damage to win.

The other 2: Silva V Bones and Bones V JDS are potentially more interesting.

I think Silva would struggle against Bones purely because of that reach advantage.
    I think Bones might have trouble with JDS as I don't believe he's faced anyone with that sort of power really - still got about a 7 inch reach advantage though, so I think Bones would have more of a chance against JDS than Silva would against Bones.

haha actually I don't care who's gona win Chael is the only fighter that makes me want the hype more than the fight... I'd get behind a Chael v JDS fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd prefer to see Hendo v Jones above those fights at this stage tbh.
    Failing that, I'd like to see Silva v Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

want to see anderson spark jones but it will probably never happen.

my all time dream fight has always been Shogun vs Anderson at 205, PRIDE rules of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Jones Vs Reem.

Such a good match up, IF, Jones walked into the ring at 235 ish and strong.

Whats the Reem weigh these days? 260 ish? 6'5'' and still 4.5 inches less of a reach than Bones, always shocks me how wide Jones is. This may not be just a 'dream' fight... and I've never heard anyone refer to it before anywhere even hypothetically. People know in the back of their mind that JDS and Jones are DESTINED to meet at some stage.... if that was for the HW belt and Jones won? then.... well.... you'd have your fight and it would be awesome! I call Jones by decision by taxing Overeems mobility till he gases in the third and suffers brutal leg kicks and cuts for the rest, 50-45 times 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Silva vs Jones

I really want to see this fight, but it has to be soon, Anderson is already old and if they leave it a couple of years, it wont be the same fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I suppose a dream 2013 for me would be both these fights happening

Silva -GSP (would happily settle for a catch weight but would prefer if a belt was on the line)

Silva - Jones

and Anderson retiring holding or having won 3 belts in different weight classes and going down in history as the best ever.

Far stretch and never going to happen

Silva -Cigano or Valesquez

then retire with 4 belts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I suppose a dream 2013 for me would be both these fights happening

Silva -GSP (would happily settle for a catch weight but would prefer if a belt was on the line)

Silva - Jones

and Anderson retiring holding or having won 3 belts in different weight classes and going down in history as the best ever.

Far stretch and never going to happen

Silva -Cigano or Valesquez

then retire with 4 belts :)

I actually remember around the time of the Maia fight Silva talking about HW. Don't know if he was just trolling or what but I remember Frank Mir foaming at the mouth biting the bait.

haha Silva at HW... oh actually hang on.
    Well hypothetically IF Silva did have a go at HW... how heavy could he get in say 10-12 months say? 215/220 with more power? maybe? Who would he beat out of the top 10/15? A good few IMO !

At 220 lb and strong with good preparation, I genuinely think he could take Werdum, Struve, Travis Browne and maybe, just maybe give Mir and even maybe Velasquez a go.. seeing as Velasquez is not a huge HW even though he's prob second best skill-wise. He'd be able to out footwork, out strike the others if he could keep outa trouble and pick'em apart IMO, which is amazing to say about a 185er (and potentially bullsh1t in your opinion:) !! JDS, Overeem, Valasquez and Cormier would likely kick his ass but the rest I wouldn't bet against him! He's in a different league than any strike that has ever put on 4 ounce gloves in any weight group ever. Jones is not in the same league, JDS is a fantastic natural boxer with 'goodnight' power but not in the same full spectrum striking bracket. Silva is beyond Bruce Lee sh1t, striking-wise there's no reason to think another like him will come along again, what he does cannot be taught.

If he fought tomorrow he'd beat every HW outside top 15 and about 5 or 6 inside the top 15! I M O of course we tend to forget that HW MMA is a big pile of cak outside of top 25 guys in the world which is not true for other weight divisions and it used to be worse god knows.

Interesting question... hypothetically could JDS drop to 205 under any circumstances and if he did would he beat everyone bar Jones (maybe him too:) ?

Top 40 HW

Junior Dos Santos
    Cain Velasquez
    Alistair Overeem
    Fabricio Werdum
    Frank Mir
    Daniel Cormier
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    Antonio Silva
    Josh Barnett
    Stefan Struve
    Shane "The Engineer" Carwin | 12-2-0
    Roy "Big Country" Nelson | 17-7-0
    Mark "Super Samoan" Hunt | 8-7-0
    Travis "Hapa" Browne | 13-1-1
    Cheick Kongo | 18-7-2
    Stipe Miocic | 9-1-0
    Ben Rothwell | 32-8-0
    Sergei "The Paratrooper" Kharitonov | 19-5-0
    Brendan "The Hybrid" Schaub | 8-3-0
    Matt Mitrione | 5-1-0
    Mike Russow | 15-2-0, 1 NC
    Pat "HD" Barry | 7-5-0
    Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga | 13-6-0
    Lavar "Big" Johnson | 17-6-0
    Shane Del Rosario | 11-1-0
    Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski | 18-9-0, 1 NC
    "The Last Emperor" Fedor Emelianenko | 35-4-0, 1 NC
    Dave "Pee-Wee" Herman | 21-5-0
    Shawn "The Savage" Jordan | 13-4-0
    Jeff "The Snowman" Monson | 47-13-1
    Todd Duffee | 7-2-0
    Cole "The Polar Bear" Konrad | 9-0-0
    Thiago "Big Monster" Santos | 11-2-0, 1 NC
    Phil "F-11" De Fries | 9-1-0, 1 NC
    Brett "The Grim" Rogers | 12-5-0, 1 NC
    Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia | 31-7-0, 1 NC
    Eric "American Soldier" Prindle | 9-3-0, 1 NC
    Richard "Rare Breed" Hale | 21-4-1
    Damian "Polish Pitbull" Grabowski | 16-1-0
    Alexander "Drago" Volkov | 17-3-0

Yeh too much of this Silva - GSP or Silva Jones nonsense. Dana give the fans what they really want UFC 160 Spider Silva Vs Andrei Arlovski. Please

poor auld Arlovski - still out there trying. Silva would light him up inside the first minute. Ping... and he's out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I want Overeem vs any two flyweights

I'd pay big money to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Now we're talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

A great fight for 2013 for me would be: Nick Diaz vs GSP, and Jose Aldo vs Ben Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw this morning that gsp said 'silva could end my career, I want 50 mil.' Can't remember the site and the link wouldnt work so couldnt read into it. Anyone ekse heard this and can confirm if its true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Jones and Silva every time for me. Makes much much more sense than the GSP fight considering they've both fought Stephan Bonnar and they'll soon both have fought Chael Sonnen. Silva made lighter work of Bonnar than Jones was able to. It'll be interesting to see if Bones has a harder/easier job with Sonnen than Silva did.

Silva's age is a real shame. He can't have long left at the elite level he's at considering he's 37 now so I really hope they make this fight.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Saw this morning that gsp said 'silva could end my career, I want 50 mil.' Can't remember the site and the link wouldnt work so couldnt read into it. Anyone ekse heard this and can confirm if its true?
    Yeah I saw this, but then I saw another article where GSP denied saying that. I'm on the mobile at the minute and can't find the article.

Advertisement