Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best (non-Word) program to write text document for transfer to another computer.

Options
  • 21-11-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I have Word on one computer.

I want to write a 2000 word document on another computer and then transfer it to the computer containing Word for formatting, etc..

Is there a free program I can use?

I guess I could use my email, but I'd be terrified of losing anything.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Can't you just use Notepad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could use libre office it's open source and free. If it's on a MS machine then wordpad is probably available. If its a MAC there must be a text editor which writes a plain text file.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dinarius wrote: »
    I have Word on one computer.

I want to write a 2000 word document on another computer and then transfer it to the computer containing Word for formatting, etc..

Is there a free program I can use?

I guess I could use my email, but I'd be terrified of losing anything.

Thanks.

D.

If you are going to do the formatting of the text on the second computer then a simple text editor on the first PC is all that is needed surely?

You could of course write the document on the first PC using Open Office or Libre Office, format it; transfer it and check/adjust the formatting there.

I don't understand the involvement of email ........ unless you are asking about a means of transferring the file and not writing and formatting.

If so then there are lots of ways depending on the situation/position/connection of the PCs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maybe use google docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

Use OpenOffice or LibreOffice both fully functional alternatives to MS Office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Google Documents, then you can access them from anywhere, it's tied to your Google account. You have the option to download locally in Word .doc format

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishlurker

LaTeX ;)

Advertisement