Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny-Expensive to Live In?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm of the opinion that Kilkenny city is one of the most expensive places in Ireland to live.
    Rent, shopping, eating out, hairdo's/cuts, hotels, petrol, drink, groceries are just some of the things I reckon are dearer here. Outside of Dublin, Galway, Cork I reckon it is well up there.
    I lived in Dublin before and besides rent (and the difference wasn't massive), I found you could get some great value in Dublin as there are lots of cheap places to shop and eat out in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I agree, I got petrol in Carlow last week for €152.9 it was €162.9 in Kilkenny
    For DIY stuff like paint and that, I go to Bagnalstown, Connollys and Walshes.
    Theres very little I buy in Kilkenny these days, but I do like TKMax and HMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »
    I agree, I got petrol in Carlow last week for €152.9 it was €162.9 in Kilkenny
    For DIY stuff like paint and that, I go to Bagnalstown, Connollys and Walshes.
    Theres very little I buy in Kilkenny these days, but I do like TKMax and HMV.

Yea to be honest I find Carlow cheaper for most things. Shops like Dealz, Tesco and HomeStore. And some really good independent DIY places like Doyles and the ones in Bagenalstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Unfortunately, Kilkenny is stupidly expensive. It's a shame really when we're trying to get people to visit the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I heard on local radio last night that we have some of the lowest commercial rates in the country. You'd wonder why it's so expensive then wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Kilkenny might be expensive but its a lovely place to live so that makes up for it......and thats coming from a blaa :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Rent is a lot cheaper in Kilkenny than most places I've rented recently (Dublin, Galway, Sligo).

Petrol is dear alright although on a par with most "urban centres". Its far cheaper getting it between towns on the routes I do be doing.

As for the other stuff, ya I find it quire expensive. Groceries are quite dear. One of the Dunnes needs to be replaced with a Tesco. The prices for the watershed are crazy expensive and the cost of renting an astro turf pitch here is mental!

But as someone else said, its a great location and so far everyone I've met from here is spot on!

Rent is a lot cheaper in Kilkenny than most places I've rented recently (Dublin, Galway, Sligo).

Petrol is dear alright although on a par with most "urban centres". Its far cheaper getting it between towns on the routes I do be doing.

As for the other stuff, ya I find it quire expensive. Groceries are quite dear. One of the Dunnes needs to be replaced with a Tesco. The prices for the watershed are crazy expensive and the cost of renting an astro turf pitch here is mental!

But as someone else said, its a great location and so far everyone I've met from here is spot on!

Maybe Galway and Dublin but Sligo?! Two bed apts in good areas in Kilkenny are like gold dust and defo more expensive than surrounding towns like Carlow and Waterford for a comparable. Which I cannot understand as they have large IT colleges.

Groceries has improved immensely with 2 Aldis and 2 Lidls. Superquinn have upped their game a lot on prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you want cheaper groceries shop in lidl or Aldi, Tesco is no cheaper than Dunnes. Thought the fuel from black quarry services in Kilkenny was comparable in price to Carlow, it is to the ones graiguecullen side of Carlow anyway. Isn't there a cheap petrol station in Hebron somewhere too.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    If you want cheaper groceries shop in lidl or Aldi, Tesco is no cheaper than Dunnes. Thought the fuel from black quarry services in Kilkenny was comparable in price to Carlow, it is to the ones graiguecullen side of Carlow anyway. Isn't there a cheap petrol station in Hebron somewhere too.

Tougher Oil I think and Hennesey fuels, neither of which are in Kilkenny unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hannon's Maxol on the O'Brien road in Carlow is where I always get petrol. €1.53 today. I also always get my lunch there, soup and a roll for €2. Last week the petrol was ten cent cheaper than anywhere I saw in Kilkenny. The two best I find in Kilkenny are Black quarry and Vicar street.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The chicken fillet rolls in Kilkenny are far better than in Dublin, and anywhere else. Quality ahead of price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The chicken fillet rolls in Kilkenny are far better than in Dublin, and anywhere else. Quality ahead of price.

The rolls from the Esso garage beside Hotel Kilkenny are savage they pack some stuff into them and the prices aint so bad. Jayus id love one now. :D

S28382 wrote: »
    The rolls from the Esso garage beside Hotel Kilkenny are savage they pack some stuff into them and the prices aint so bad. Jayus id love one now. :D

I'm abroad atm and I'm lost without my chicken fillet roll. Eurospar in Newpark is my choice. Close to my house and they fill it correctly.

It wrecks my head when people put in the chicken first and then put in the cheese/coleslaw/lettuce. The filling just falls out. You have to pack it all in with the chicken on top. It's common sense really.

Decent price as well, €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

dooferoaks wrote: »

Ya having shopped in Tesco always when I lived in Waterford I don't see much difference between that and Dunnes (apart from the Tesco specials maybe). Since the Aldi and Lidl opened I shop there now regularly and I'm still shocked when the total comes up at the till, super cheap.

Kilkenny is great for shopping, just need more value type shops like homestore and the likes. Guess the council have been preserving the centre but at the expense somewhat of value and choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Just moved back from Donegal and im actually dreading the prices here. Up there you could always get pints for 3 euro if you didn't mind what pub you drank in, taxi's from anywhere in letterkenny to letterkenny were only 5e, aldi, lidll and tesco were quite cheap, local business' were very reasonable. Renting an astroturf pitch for an hour was 50e dunno how that compares down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Arawn wrote: »
    Just moved back from Donegal and im actually dreading the prices here. Up there you could always get pints for 3 euro if you didn't mind what pub you drank in, taxi's from anywhere in letterkenny to letterkenny were only 5e, aldi, lidll and tesco were quite cheap, local business' were very reasonable. Renting an astroturf pitch for an hour was 50e dunno how that compares down here.

Moved from Donegal due to work a while ago and its alot more expensive in Kilkenny, food, drink, fuel etc, but there seems to be alot more money around also. However I couldnt do the work I do from there so had no choice really. It is much more accessible to places though as I am over and back to the UK by ferry quite a bit.

Taxis around Kilkenny are €6, I think.

No Tesco but there are two Aldis and two Lidls.

Astro turf is around the same, I think.

You're not moving to London lad. The prices won't be that much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Taxis around Kilkenny are €6, I think.

No Tesco but there are two Aldis and two Lidls.

Astro turf is around the same, I think.

You're not moving to London lad. The prices won't be that much different.

Really are lad, i moved from kk to donegal and back and was amazed how cheap it was

Really are lad, i moved from kk to donegal and back and was amazed how cheap it was

Donegal has crippling unemployment and is beside the North so has much price competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement