Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbred - where to buy?

• 21-11-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I know from reading this forum that mentioning buying a dog on donedeal.ie sends people crazy. Just wanted to know where people recommend buying a dog then? I do not want a pure bred as I have had two dogs in my life - one a purebred many many years ago only lived to be 6 then I currently have a crossbred - 19 years old and still going strong - if slightly deaf! So I would much prefer to buy a crossbred rather than go for a registered purebred. Looking at a small dog prehaps terrier/cavalier/cocker bred.

Where would people advise me to go? And I do not think that I would pass checks for a rescue centre dog as I work but I will be getting a friend to call in each day to walk the dog at lunchtime but I dont think that would be enough for a rescue centre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Go to a pound, where are you from? There's a dog pound in most counties and they aren't strict on who they give their dogs to, they just want them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

+1 for going to your local pound. I probably wouldn't pass a home check from a rescue either, but when I got my two dogs from the local pound I just had to fill out a form and pay the adoption fee.

When I adopted my second dog they asked me to bring my first dog in to meet the new dog first, which I thought was surprisingly responsible of them :) So just bear in mind that they may ask you to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def the pound. Do not pay for a cross bred!! They are only puppy farmers lining their pockets while intentionally crossing breeds which is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

I thought the pound would be the same and I wouldnt pass that either. I ll check out the local pound.

Yes not impressed with the designer bred crosses on donedeal I was just so upset after our first dog died and given that our little lady is still going strong at 19 i think crossbred is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

+1 on everything said above. It would be ridiculous (imo) to pay money for a crossbreed when there are thousands in pounds and rescues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

+1 from me too. I got my yorkie cross from a pound in Dublin near Finglas just had to pay the release fee and buy a licence. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pounds are different than rescues, you dont have to get a home check etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I know from reading this forum that mentioning buying a dog on donedeal.ie sends people crazy. Just wanted to know where people recommend buying a dog then? I do not want a pure bred as I have had two dogs in my life - one a purebred many many years ago only lived to be 6 then I currently have a crossbred - 19 years old and still going strong - if slightly deaf! So I would much prefer to buy a crossbred rather than go for a registered purebred. Looking at a small dog prehaps terrier/cavalier/cocker bred.

Where would people advise me to go? And I do not think that I would pass checks for a rescue centre dog as I work but I will be getting a friend to call in each day to walk the dog at lunchtime but I dont think that would be enough for a rescue centre.

good on you if only 10 people a day like yourself were to do the same there would be no need of dog pounds/rescue centers

go for it and dont let the red tape stop you

you will have luck for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1 on the pound.

Do check out some of your local rescues too, a lot of them understand that everyone needs to earn a living and would suggest a dog to suit you, especially if you have someone calling in on them during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I thought the pound would be the same and I wouldnt pass that either. I ll check out the local pound.

Yes not impressed with the designer bred crosses on donedeal I was just so upset after our first dog died and given that our little lady is still going strong at 19 i think crossbred is the way to go.

Pounds do not do home checks and usually require a small amount to release the dog. The pound does not know the history of the dog nor has the dog recieved any veterinary (unless emergency or vital) while in the pound.

Rescues each have their own policies on homing dogs, most will do home checks and the donation will be higher than that required by the pound. However, rescues will have gotten the dog all veterinary treatment needed (for example, vaccinations, neutering etc.) and will be able to tell you quite a detailed account of the dogs personality and whether the dog will be right for you.

Definitely go with rescuing a dog from either a pound or a rescue - you'll be saving a life and getting a great pet all at once!

List of pounds - http://www.anvilireland.ie/list-of-dog-pounds-in-ireland.html
    List of rescues - http://www.ohmydog.ie/dogrescuecentres.html
    (please note that these lists may not be complete!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Thanks for the links! will check out some of the rescues and the pound aswell and hopefully will find a small friend that my little old lady gets on with! and me of course;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

The good thing about a rescue is that you could foster first and see if the dogs get along before committing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

You could also try your local vets. They usually have a few posters up looking for homes for unwanted pups/dogs. Also they may be able to give a bit of background on who is looking to rehome the litter.

Advertisement