Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will there be a happy ending?

• 21-11-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭

Since afaik, the comics are on-going, there's clearly nothing in them that could spoil this.

Do you think the story will have a "happy" conclusion. Obviously, a lot of the characters from Season 1 will be dead by the time they eventually wrap it up but do you think whoever survives will discover a safe place / somewhere a cure has been found etc? And what would your thoughts on that ending be?

Would you prefer to see the characters remain the walking dead or would you like to see them in a "happy" place at the conclusion of their story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Sleepy wrote: »
    Since afaik, the comics are on-going, there's clearly nothing in them that could spoil this.

Do you think the story will have a "happy" conclusion. Obviously, a lot of the characters from Season 1 will be dead by the time they eventually wrap it up but do you think whoever survives will discover a safe place / somewhere a cure has been found etc? And what would your thoughts on that ending be?

Would you prefer to see the characters remain the walking dead or would you like to see them in a "happy" place at the conclusion of their story?

I don't think Kirkman does happy endings tbh , but if he were to I'd imagine it would be revealed that babies in utero or conceived after the world went to hell will be somehow free of the virus , so assuming they can outlast the zeds they can repopulate the earth .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In this series, that would constitute a happy ending! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I would hope there is an ending which gives them hope anyway. Maybe something like the end of the novel
    'The Road', which, after wading through misery upon misery, left the reader with hope for the future, even if only on a small scale.
    Whatever happens, I'd be fairly sure no one will be able to second-guess Kirkman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There probably will be a happy ending, TV audiences love/need a happy ending.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a lost cause ending. Darryl, with baby Asskicker strapped to his back, surrounded by a horde, possibly in building, crossbow in hand, down to the last bolt.

Weight of the walkers start cracking the door, Darryl lifts the bow, aims, fade to black. Hear the bowstring *ttttwip* Credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

There's three endings that I see as plausible

Something along Sofizticated's lines would be a fresh take for a TV series. Fading to black just prior to coming doom has been done in movies alright, not so much TV, so would be a fresh enough take.

Our survivors could eventually find a safe refuge, that's actually safe (infection no longer taking the dead)

Or, the constant struggle. i.e they survive a final season onslaught, but even though they're alive, they know they'll never escape the threat. Final scene, them moving down one more highway towards the horizon

Don't know where my preference lies. All depends on how many seasons we have left, how/if the comic continues (I haven't read them) etc. With the way season 3 has been going so far, I'm happy to just watch each week and see where that takes us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I have a new theory. In the very last episode Rick wakes up in his own bed with Derren Brown standing over him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The problem is it couldn't end on a big cliffhanger because every episode ends on a cliffhanger, comics don't have that... or do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Obviously the TV show has a shelf life compared to the comic, there are too many variables for it not to. What happens when Andrew Lincoln decides he doesn't want to be 'Rick' for the rest of his career/life? I'm not 100% but I thought I once read that Robert Kirkman said that Rick was the only character that would never die in the comics, so I'd assume its the same for the TV show and I'd add Glenn, Maggie, Darryl and Carl and maybe Michonne to the 'untouchables' too as TV rules are different to comics.

I could see the show ending like I Am Legend
    where they come across a 'safe haven' which would mean that the world is still not 100% safe but they have somewhere to call home
    or like the Angel TV show where they are up against a massive horde of walkers and head in to battle without us seeing the outcome. I really couldn't see a scenario where a cure is found or society is rebuilt.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Obviously the TV show has a shelf life compared to the comic, there are too many variables for it not to. What happens when Andrew Lincoln decides he doesn't want to be 'Rick' for the rest of his career/life? I'm not 100% but I thought I once read that Robert Kirkman said that Rick was the only character that would never die in the comics, so I'd assume its the same for the TV show and I'd add Glenn, Maggie, Darryl and Carl and maybe Michonne to the 'untouchables' too as TV rules are different to comics.

I could see the show ending like I Am Legend
    where they come across a 'safe haven' which would mean that the world is still not 100% safe but they have somewhere to call home
    or like the Angel TV show where they are up against a massive horde of walkers and head in to battle without us seeing the outcome. I really couldn't see a scenario where a cure is found or society is rebuilt.

28 Days/Weeks later they end up on an island (and are later rescued by helicopter)

28 Days/Weeks later they end up on an island (and are later rescued by helicopter)

Thanks for that. Have you never heard of spoiler tags?

• Advertisement

That's not what spoiler tags are for.... unless I spoiled the film 28 days later for you, in which case, my apologies!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hasn't that film been out ages? You can't expect ppl to keep their mouth shout forever (Unless you were involved in the JFK shooting)
    I haven't watched weeks yet, knowing that ending will not stop me watching it at some point. haven't felt the yearning to before.

28 Days- 2002
    28 Weeks- 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

There has to be some immunity. No disease or virus is 100% infective. There must be people among the population that dont get it. Or new babies. Or after a period of time the immune system fights it off completely.

So could it be a case of waiting out the death/decomposition/starvation of all existing walkers, coupled with explosive headgear to be worn so if you die your head blows up and saves you from turning, and eventually all new babies, uninfected people are left to inherit the riches of the earth :)

There has to be some immunity. No disease or virus is 100% infective......

So could it be a case of waiting out the death/decomposition/starvation of all existing walkers, coupled with explosive headgear to be worn so if you die your head blows up and saves you from turning, and eventually all new babies, uninfected people are left to inherit the riches of the earth :)

A) Assuming the zombie plague acts like 'normal' viruses/infections.

B) Explosive headgear? Whats wrong with the current method? And are the survivors who are struggling suddenly going to find a handy supply of C4? Yes, I have no problem walking around with explosives around my neck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Tenger wrote: »
    B) Explosive headgear? Whats wrong with the current method? And are the survivors who are struggling suddenly going to find a handy supply of C4? Yes, I have no problem walking around with explosives around my neck

Well just to be totally safe. Im thinking of a future where people get old enough to die of natural causes. Maybe not C4 - maybe some kind of dagger through the brain - I havent thought out the details.

Would I prefer to be awoken by my elderly husbands head being blown off or him eating my flesh? Odd as it sounds - the former.

I would think such a device would be best to be some kind of implant that detects brain death and fries/scrambles the brain, kicking in within a matter of minutes (just in case they can resuscitate).

Hasn't that film been out ages? You can't expect ppl to keep their mouth shout forever (Unless you were involved in the JFK shooting)
    I haven't watched weeks yet, knowing that ending will not stop me watching it at some point. haven't felt the yearning to before.

28 Days- 2002
    28 Weeks- 2007

28 Days- 2002
    28 Weeks- 2007

Ah come on, if you're going to mention exactly how a film ends then put a spoiler tag on it, it takes a few seconds out of your life. All the poster had to do was something like 'I'd like to see it end like 28 Weeks Later where
    a helicopter arrives on the island and rescues them blah blah

Someone else mentioned I Am Legend, which I haven't seen and which I intend to at some point, but they had the sense to put a spoiler tag on it. I will still watch 28 Weeks Later but for a film that was only made five years ago there are plenty out there who haven't gotten round to seeing it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and that's their problem, you can not expect people to spoiler tag old films or every thread about every thing would be covered in spoiled text and the "warning" nature of the big grey box would vanish over time

and that's their problem, you can not expect people to spoiler tag old films or every thread about every thing would be covered in spoiled text and the "warning" nature of the big grey box would vanish over time

But this is specifically telling us the very outcome of a film! It's not discussing what happens during the film but the actual ending. Maybe for this particular discussion I should have been more aware that people were going to compare their idea of the ending for the WD with other films and TV shows. But generally speaking, throughout these type of threads I don't see people revealing the end of other films, books, comics, whatever, unless it's really necessary. In this case I don't think it was, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

But this is specifically telling us the very outcome of a film! It's not discussing what happens during the film but the actual ending. Maybe for this particular discussion I should have been more aware that people were going to compare their idea of the ending for the WD with other films and TV shows. But generally speaking, throughout these type of threads I don't see people revealing the end of other films, books, comics, whatever, unless it's really necessary. In this case I don't think it was, that's all.

Agreed. Spoiler-tagging the end of any film is just common courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

re the idea that audiences love a happy ending - look at how Angel finished - all the boyos in the alleyway with a load of baddies..........you know they weren't coming out of that one alive, but they were going down fighting ..... :-(

(hope I'm remembering it properly!)

cjmcork wrote: »
    ........look at how Angel finished - all the boyos in the alleyway with a load of baddies..........you know they weren't coming out of that one alive, but they were going down fighting ......
    OMG spoilers goddamit......

*Sarcasm.

cjmcork wrote: »
    re the idea that audiences love a happy ending - look at how Angel finished - all the boyos in the alleyway with a load of baddies..........you know they weren't coming out of that one alive, but they were going down fighting ..... :-(

(hope I'm remembering it properly!)

You're remembering right! But... Joss Whedon continued the story in Comic book form so you get to see what happens next! Great idea and some really twists and turns as the comic went on!

Sorry for going OT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm with Sir Digsby on this one. If you have had your head in the sand with regards popular culture, that's your fault. Anything that big and that old shouldn't need a spoiler tag.

We aren't talking about an obscure comic like the walking dead here that 99% of viewers would never have known existed prior to watching the show. 28 days and weeks later were blockbuster movies and are bloody years old. Stuff like that shouldn't need to be spoiler tagged.
    Bruce willis is a ghost the whole time!

I mean come on. It's ridiculous. :p

Damn, i just lost a bet about how long it would take for someone to bring Bruce Willis into this...

Edit, if everyone can wait at least 24 hours before mentioning Titanic i might win some of my money back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Given that the comics have been around for years and are still ongoing I presume there is already enough material to long outlast audience interest in the TV show (6-7 years seems to be the natural life cycle of most shows and we are on season 3 already). My bet is it will simply disappear on a cliff hanger with some hope for a return as "negotiations are still ongoing". Then a month or two later it will simply be announced that it is not being renewed for the 201X season. The comics can continue for years after that to meet the need of the hard core fans.

WITHOUT telling us what happens can someone roughly say where are we in relation to the comic timeline? 1/2way? 1/3rd 3/4ers?

touts wrote: »
    Given that the comics have been around for years and are still ongoing I presume there is already enough material to long outlast audience interest in the TV show (6-7 years seems to be the natural life cycle of most shows and we are on season 3 already). My bet is it will simply disappear on a cliff hanger with some hope for a return as "negotiations are still ongoing". Then a month or two later it will simply be announced that it is not being renewed for the 201X season. The comics can continue for years after that to meet the need of the hard core fans.

WITHOUT telling us what happens can someone roughly say where are we in relation to the comic timeline? 1/2way? 1/3rd 3/4ers?

I would say 1/3 maybe. If even. The comic started when I started college and that was about 8-9 years ago iirc.

touts wrote: »

Can't see that happening at all. We're going to need some form of closure on this, the show is just too damn big not to be wrapped up all neat and tidy. There would be an international outcry if they just leave us all hanging at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Rick will die i reckon and it'l close with Carl getting ready to take up his fathers mantle i bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

215535297_B2j5j-L-2.jpg

Walking Dead happy ending?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s-cNFffDM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Rick wakes up in the hospital where it was all a raving nightmare as a result of his gunshot wound, sometime later he passes on surrounded by all his friends and family.

Advertisement