Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cairo to Cape Town

• 21-11-2012 3:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

I plan to do this journey sometime in my lifetime. Has anyone any idea the logistics required to complete this journey, size of bike, duration of journey, accommodation etc.?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Get your bike well in advance of travelling. A small (650 or 800) GS or similar will be best.

Check our http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ which will give you a lot more help and advice than you'll get here.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Prima Nocte

how long should it take? 30 DAYS OR SO?

Thirty days sounds very, very rushed. If I was doing something like that I'd take at least three months.

HU have a meeting here next year....

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/meetings/Ireland2013.php

cool, have you experience in long distance motorcycling? i'd imagine it would be quite cheap to live in africa for three months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Just throwing it out there, out of curiosity more than anything else; but why not start at home, rather than Cairo?
    (I'm assuming you're in Ireland at the moment!)

• Advertisement

dublin to cape town does make more sense. it was the route i had in mind ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I would imagine it would be a great trip but a lot of planning required.

What bike do you currently ride? Have you any experience of long distance riding? Would you be going on your own or with friends? One or two up?

Never ridden in Africa, fardest I have done in a single trip is Dublin to south of Spain. Africa is on my bucket list though.

I believe that you would need visas to pass through some African countries and you may also need to pay a carnet when you enter some countries. Also, in some areas it may be difficult to get petrol, some even sell it in bottles on the side of the road but I would be wary of the quality, may be watered down.

You would also need to check out what vaccinations you would need in advance.

Consider security, both for yourself and for the bike. Some of the countries may be going through political unrest so you need to consider your personal safety.
    Also security for the bike, what have you in mind for accomodation?
    Ylan your health and wellbeing. Health Insurance, bring some medications, a camelpak for hydration and so on.
    Regarding the bike, think about whether you want to be able to work on it and do repairs en route, either yourself or in back stret garages. The more sophisticated the bike, the more restricted you are on options for repairs.
    When you plan the route, investigate road conditions, this should dictate tyre type.

Sorry mate, I know I have more questions than answers, but there are so many things you need to factor in, that is half the fun, doing the planning bit.

Keep us posted on how the planning goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you haven't got it already get Chris Scotts Adventure Motorcycling handbook it covers pretty much everything you will need to know about this kind of travel.
    He's been at it a long time and there is significant knowledge in that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you haven't got it already get Chris Scotts Adventure Motorcycling handbook it covers pretty much everything you will need to know about this kind of travel.
    He's been at it a long time and there is significant knowledge in that book.

:cool: Nice one, that's one for the christmas stocking.

Lots of good info on this link too
    http://www.flamesonmytank.co.za/touring.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'll go with you, OP. I've done some hardcore third world touring at this stage and my sister travelled Cairo to Cape Town overland. Let me know when to meet you at the ferry!

• Advertisement

cool, have you experience in long distance motorcycling? i'd imagine it would be quite cheap to live in africa for three months?

I've ridden all over Europe and North America, nothing too hardcore.

I've ridden quite a bit in Morocco and once down as far as Mali.

You're getting some great advice from other posters. Try to find someone who has already done something similar and befriend him/her and talk, talk, talk and plan, plan, plan.

Give yourself lots of time and don't rush either the planning or the trip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You should watch "Long Way Down" OP. It will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'll go with you, OP. I've done some hardcore third world touring at this stage and my sister travelled Cairo to Cape Town overland. Let me know when to meet you at the ferry!

great when do you wanna go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

great when do you wanna go?

errrr... let me think. What time is it now?:D

Advertisement