Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft Isulation

Options
  • 21-11-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Need to insulate the attic, Its 68sqm but will need twice that as there is none whatsoever up there.
    Was hoping to put 150mm between nthe joists band and then roll another layer of 150mm over that.
    Anyone know of any good deals going at the moment. Will need delivery also, so ideally somewhere around the south Dublin, Kildare, West wicklow, east Carlow area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Berberis wrote: »
    Need to insulate the attic, Its 68sqm but will need twice that as there is none whatsoever up there.
    Was hoping to put 150mm between nthe joists band and then roll another layer of 150mm over that.
    Anyone know of any good deals going at the moment. Will need delivery also, so ideally somewhere around the south Dublin, Kildare, West wicklow, east Carlow area

Brooks were doing 125mm for €12.50 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

If your house is over 20 years old you can get it done for free with a government grant. My parents had the exterior walls pumped with insulation, attic insulated and a new lagging jacket on the boiler, all free. Yours may be a new house but I just thought I'd mention it in case you have an older house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

I doubt if its free,probably only a grant towards the insulation costs.,send us a link if you have any details. ps if it was free,the whole country would get it done.(houses over 20yrs)

No it really was free! Also i was wrong about the house having to be over 20 years old, as outlined below. It's a grant from the SEAI (sustainabke energy authority of Ireland) There are 2 types of grant available

Warmer homes
    Better energy homes

Warmer homes is for houses built before 2002 and the occupants must be in receipt of one of the following:
    o Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme
    o Job Seekers Allowance for over six months and with children under 7 years of age
    o Family Income support

Landlords can avail of grants from the Better Energy Homes scheme if they have tenants in, or at risk of, energy poverty. See www.seai.ie/betterenergyhomes for more information.

Here are the available services:
    Attic insulation.
    Draught proofing.
    Lagging jackets.
    Low energy light bulbs.
    Cavity wall insulation.
    Energy advice.

The better homes scheme is available to anyone where their house was built before 2006
    Here are the amounts available
    Grants are available to eligible applicants for undertaking the following works, in accordance with the requirements contractor Code of Practice Technical Specification.

Energy Efficient Works Incentive
        Cash Grant Value*
    Insulation Attic Insulation €200
    Wall Insulation - Cavity €250
    Wall Insulation - Internal Dry Lining  
    Apartment (any) OR Mid- terrace House €900
    Semi-detached or End of Terrace €1,350
    Detached House €1,800
    Wall Insulation - External  
    Apartment (any) OR Mid- terrace House €1,800
    Semi-detached or End of Terrace €2,700
    Detached House €3,600

Heating System Heating Controls with Boiler (Oil or Gas) Upgrade. €560
    Heating Controls Upgrade only €400
    Solar Heating €800
    Building Energy Rating (BER) €50**
    *Cash Grants are set value unless expenditure is below the set value, in which case the actual expenditure will be reimbursed.

You must use a contractor registered with them for both schemes

My parents just got in contact with one of the approved contractors who did all the paperwork and carried out all the work. He claimed the money for the work from the SEAI scheme directly.

I can't provide a link because I'm on my phone at the moment but the website is www.seai.ie then click "home" and then "grants available"

its just for OAPS.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    its just for OAPS.

No it's not. My parents are in their 50s. Where did you see that?

I doubt if its free,probably only a grant towards the insulation costs.,send us a link if you have any details. ps if it was free,the whole country would get it done.(houses over 20yrs)

110,000 homes have availed of it already

My mistake ,not oaps ,but as you say people on some welfare payments get one grant, and the Energy Efficient Works will grant you 200 euro towards attic insulation and the following http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/ but i dont think the grant would cover the total cost today of an attic and external insulation,for a typical 3 bed semi.(sorry about the change of font).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Cheers for all the input folks.
    The house is in fact over 60 yrs old. (at lest the part that I need to insulate is).
    I built a well insulated extension 14 yrs ago but at the time I could not afford the insulation for the old part and over the years it has been one of those jobs I have been putting on the long finger, but now intend to get done over next few weeks. The cheapest I have got so far is €305 for 130sqm of 150mm insulation but thats with brooks and would cost over 50 extra for delivery.
    Lamberts in carlow will do it for 390
    I looked into the grant but the max you will get is €200 and you must use a contractor, which means even with the grant included it would be a lot dearer than if I do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JudgeRoyBean

Berberis wrote: »
    Cheers for all the input folks.
    The house is in fact over 60 yrs old. (at lest the part that I need to insulate is).
    I built a well insulated extension 14 yrs ago but at the time I could not afford the insulation for the old part and over the years it has been one of those jobs I have been putting on the long finger, but now intend to get done over next few weeks. The cheapest I have got so far is €305 for 130sqm of 150mm insulation but thats with brooks and would cost over 50 extra for delivery.
    Lamberts in carlow will do it for 390
    I looked into the grant but the max you will get is €200 and you must use a contractor, which means even with the grant included it would be a lot dearer than if I do it myself

Try U-Value Insulation in Blanchardstown. Bought off them before and have a massive range to choose from. They will also advise what to get and can fit if required.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can only get it done for free if you are on "certain state allowences".

There is NO CHARGE for the work.

But its only open to certain people on certain state benifits.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Warmer_Homes_Scheme/About_the_BEWH.html

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Warmer_Homes_Scheme/Warmer_Homes_Scheme_Leaftlet.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My mistake ,not oaps ,but as you say people on some welfare payments get one grant, and the Energy Efficient Works will grant you 200 euro towards attic insulation and the following http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/ but i dont think the grant would cover the total cost today of an attic and external insulation,for a typical 3 bed semi.(sorry about the change of font).

Eh,the warmer homes scheme....(that Lima Golf is talking about and you are questioning).....is FREE..and there is "no cost to the household".

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Warmer_Homes_Scheme/About_the_BEWH.html

You have to be on certain state benifits,the owner/occupier and the house has to be built prior to 2002 aswell.

NO CHARGE TO HOUSEHOLD

Advertisement