Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type electric razor to buy as gift?

• 21-11-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have started the search for an elec razor for the other half for christmas and turns out its confusing!! I am not sure whether to go for a dry shaver or a wet/dry combo shaver
    He doesnt keep a beard so will be used for a close shave. Do the dry razors hurt/give rashes or is a wet/dry one better so he can use shaving foam??:confused::confused::confused:

Argos are throwing up some good (I think) deals at half price at the mo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kaz88 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have started the search for an elec razor for the other half for christmas and turns out its confusing!! I am not sure whether to go for a dry shaver or a wet/dry combo shaver
    He doesnt keep a beard so will be used for a close shave. Do the dry razors hurt/give rashes or is a wet/dry one better so he can use shaving foam??:confused::confused::confused:

Argos are throwing up some good (I think) deals at half price at the mo

I just got the deal of the century on an electric razor. €31 down from €200.
    Thought to use it for those mornings when I just don't have the time to shave properly.

It's an awful shave. Really. Feels like I shaved yesterday as soon as I put the razor down.

Do your man a favor and get him a proper, gentleman's shaving kit URL="http://www.shaving.ie/products/Luxury-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html"]1[/URL URL="http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html"]2[/URL.

It's unbelievable the difference in quality you'll get. The entire experience is a treat now.

Warm lather is really something to look forward to, he'll need a shaving mug (or regular mug from the cupboard :p) if you are to get warm lather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You'd get a closer shave lathering up with a boar brush and double cream and asking a cat to lick the cream off. All electric razors are useless, especially if you want a close and irritation free shave.

As mentioned above, get him some traditional and quality shaving gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

Oh God you dont know my other half he would slice himself with something like that hes so uncoordinated!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

We could compromise.
    You could get him a cartage razor, like a Gillette Mach 3. And instead of the Gillette goo-in-a-can shaving foam, get a brush and soap. Taylor's of Old Bond Street Sandalwood is lovely, Mitchell's Wool Fat is also very nice. The difference in price is from the Taylor's is a cream so will not last as long as the Mitchells, which is a hard soap. Both are (in my opinion) fantastic both in smell and performance.

If you can get to a barber that does hot towel shaves they should be able to sell you a brush and the soap. Spend maybe €20 on a brush to start with.

If he like that and doesn't pass out from blood loss every morning then you could consider moving up to a Safety Razor.

On a scale of enjoyment, performance and bad-assery:
    Electric (worst)
    Cartridge + Goo
    Cartridge + Soap/Cream
    Safety + Soap/Creme
    Straight(cut-throat) (Bestest most badass way to shave)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Electric (worst)
    Cartridge + Goo
    Cartridge + Soap/Cream
    Safety + Soap/Creme
    Knife

Fixed that for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Fixed that for you ;)
    Electric (worst)
    Cartridge + Goo
    Cartridge + Soap/Cream
    Safety + Soap/Creme
    Knife
    Obsidian edge

Fixed that for you too :D

Advertisement