Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running American motors/machines in Ireland

Options
  • 21-11-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have a few questions I'm hoping somebody can help with (My electrical knowledge is basic at best)

I'm in the process of buying a Large baseball pitcher machine from America which works off 120 volts and 60Hz.

Will this prove a problem working here in Ireland without a step down convertor?
    I have also been advised that a 3000 watt step down converter will solve any hrtz issues is this correct?
    and are these converters readily available? and if so what price range?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're available yes but they don't solve any hz issues
    you might need to check if 110v 50hz is ok for your machine

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Ok will check that with the supplier, I assume it will work just that bit slower

So there is nothing that can be done to change the Hz?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

yupya1 wrote: »
    A VSD (variable speed drive) can solve this for you, but it won't be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

yupya1 wrote: »
    Ok will check that with the supplier, I assume it will work just that bit slower

You likely wont have to. Just supply the right voltage. It might have a DC motor in it for simple speed control circuitry, and so would be unaffected by the hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

A yellow 'building site' transformer will give you 110 or 120V at 50Hz. Maybe try one first, you can hire one for a day for any hire company. Get a yellow plug from an electrical wholesaler. I doubt the machine would be rated at more than about 1000W, but check the rating label on the unit.

BTW have you ever been in a batting cage? I was in one in the U.S. it was fricking terrifying. I think it was set for 85mph, the ball was so fast you couldn't see it, you could feel the whoosh as it went by. Eventually I got brave and managed to hit a few, they nearly knocked the bat clean out of my hand. Best of luck with your new toy :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

site trafos should be 110v anyhow

there might be custom trafos available with 120v if it was needed

Advertisement