Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror's Edge 2 in Production.

• 21-11-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Just announced. Delighted. It's one of my favourite games, despite it's flaws, this generation. It was such a unique experience that it's a shame it didn't get wider notice. Still looks glorious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Superb. An underrated classic.
    Just fix the combat please. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mr E wrote: »
    Superb. An underrated classic.
    Just fix the combat please. :)

Or remove it altogether :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have never played it, always meant to give it a go but never pulled the trigger. I'm sure it's going cheap these days, not that I need another game in rotation at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Or remove it altogether :P

If it was one or two instances of gunplay throughout the game then it'd be fine. The amount of gunplay in the original kind of reeked of someone getting nervous and cramming FPS sections to appeal to the shooter crowd. Quite liked the take downs.

It's also the only game where I became obsessed by speedruns, some of the ones on the leaderboard were just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

As much as I enjoyed Mirror's Edge (it's one of those "must haves" for this gen, I reckon. Like it or not, you've still got to have a copy in your collection), the thing bugged me was the blindingly white colour scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The last level was an absolute pain on a pacifist run. For a game built around running, the designers sure made that the hardest possible option.

Good to see a sequel in the works though - lots of unfulfilled promise in the premise. Even more so than the combat, though, they need to massively improve or reduce the indoor sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sweet. Mirror's Edge is a lot like the first AssCreed, I loved it despite some serious flaws that could easily have been avoided. I do hope the developers listen to criticism the same way Ubisoft did before making AssCreed 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Brilliant news whats even better is judging from the timing its most likely gonna be on the next generation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

deathrider wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed Mirror's Edge (it's one of those "must haves" for this gen, I reckon. Like it or not, you've still got to have a copy in your collection), the thing bugged me was the blindingly white colour scheme.

I played through it a few months ago and I actually enjoyed the really bright colours in the game. Maybe I was just tired of the greys, browns and other dull colours in a lot of games that I played since I went through it for the first time.

The music was great too...

Anyway, great news that a sequel is in the works.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I played through it a few months ago and I actually enjoyed the really bright colours in the game. Maybe I was just tired of the greys, browns and other dull colours in a lot of games that I played since I went through it for the first time.

The music was great too...

Anyway, great news that a sequel is in the works.

I've no problems with bright colours or a lot of white, but I thought this game just overdid it to a point where it was almost an eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I have never played it, always meant to give it a go but never pulled the trigger. I'm sure it's going cheap these days, not that I need another game in rotation at the moment.

Picked it for €5 in Tesco not so long ago - they were doing a bit of a clearout.

Been meaning to give it a whirl - still in its plastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gouche wrote: »
    Picked it for €5 in Tesco not so long ago - they were doing a bit of a clearout.

Been meaning to give it a whirl - still in its plastic!

Likewise, except for £5 in Game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Great news, while it isn't my favourite game, I am looking forward to a sequel. But I'll echo what deathrider said, the blindingly white color scheme was atrocious, and the red paths (doors, jump point etc) just made it too easy. Its almost as if in play testing none of the testers could figure out where to go, so the designers made everything white, and made the path to follow red.

Can anyone post here if they see it in a shop for a fiver please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Great news, while it isn't my favourite game, I am looking forward to a sequel. But I'll echo what deathrider said, the blindingly white color scheme was atrocious, and the red paths (doors, jump point etc) just made it too easy. Its almost as if in play testing none of the testers could figure out where to go, so the designers made everything white, and made the path to follow red.

Thats exactly what they did.... and it makes sense from a game design perspective where they wanted to game to flow like proper free running instead of you just running around in circles trying to figure out where next to go
    If you up the difficulty though it doesnt give you any of the red hints

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Excellent news - but what's the source?

Also +1 on the soundtrack for the original.

It's actually better craic without the lines sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dacelonid wrote: »

edit: Vinlieger beat me to it.

Simple solution for that - turn off Runner vision. They also highlighted the slowest way through a level.

Big fan of the art style of the game including the colour scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

GameStop have it for 5.99 second hand.

chrislad wrote: »
    GameStop have it for 5.99 second hand.

That reminds me GS are having their black friday sale on ...well... friday. Always a hillarious thread to follow.

• Advertisement

‘Mirror's Edge 2 is in production’ claims ex-EA producer

A former executive producer at Battlefield developer DICE claims that it is ‘general knowledge’ that the studio is working on a sequel to cult favourite Mirror’s Edge, although EA are confirming nothing.

Although the balance of probability is that Ben Cousins knows what he’s talking about we must emphasise that neither DICE nor EA has said anything about Mirror’s Edge 2 definitely being in development.

Cousins is currently general manager of the Swedish branch of mobile developer ngmoco but claimed in a tweet that: ‘It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE’.

He was responding to a Eurogamer story, originating with The Official Xbox Magazine, in which DICE insisted that that they, ‘Don't want to become a Battlefield factory’.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/918586-mirrors-edge-2-is-in-production-claims-ex-ea-producer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I almost don't even want a sequel. I just want trailers for the sequel. I probably got more enjoyment out of this trailer than I did out of the game. One of the best and most beautiful trailers for any game, ever.

In all seriousness though, a sequel could be great. I just hope they make the levels shorter and have more of them, rather than having really long levels and an elevator in each one which totally isn't purely in there as an interactive loading screen. Completely killed the flow of each level. For an extremely agile free-runner, she sure likes taking routes where there'll be an elevator.

That was one of the best trailers ever. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was a day 1 game.

Also keep an eye in XtraVision. I picked it up for PS3 for €5 pre-owned a few months back, I often see a copy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Fair play to EA. Despite the original not selling well they've demonstrated plenty of times that they don't want to give up on the franchise. I have to imagine this one needs to sell quite well or it's the end of the road, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the cut scenes need to not look like ass compared to the main game engine. or just not have any cut-scenes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    the cut scenes need to not look like ass compared to the main game engine. or just not have any cut-scenes!

The cut-scenes were cool, kind of like a cartoon/comic book. I liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Mirrors Edge is currently €5 on Steam if anyone is looking to revisit the original. Could well get even cheaper in the Christmas Sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great news. Loved the kinetic feel of the first but hated the combat. Hopefully they can make the game they should have first time around.

Im fairly sure I first saw the original trailer in a cinema. Was just spacing out before the film. Two minutes later, jaw was on the floor, popcorn spilling out! :D
    One of those rare things we get nowadays - a new experience. Something you know you have to try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Great news! I loved the original. This just reminded me i need to kick down some doors and get my copy back.

Advertisement