Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not booting after being off for a few hours.

Options
  • 21-11-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Fresh installation of XP.
    It works fine and boots up after a restart, but won't boot the next day.

I'm thinking CMOS battery. Don't have any handy to check though.

Anyone else experience this, and not have it be the CMOS battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What do you mean it won't boot.

If It's the cmos battery then all that it usually does is revert to the bios defaults. This usually means the date and time default to the build date or 01/01/2000 or whatever date was set when the bios was first flashed. Also any changes you may have made, for example the boot order or raid configuration have to be reset.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a dodgy PSU? I don't think a cmos battery would cause such an issue, do you have a spare power supply you could try?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can't remember hte exact message. It's something like 'Windows cannot load. Please insert CD' or something like that.

I'm using it as a temporary back up at the moment, so I don't want to turn it off in order to see what the message it.
    I'll check it again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Terry wrote: »
    I can't remember hte exact message. It's something like 'Windows cannot load. Please insert CD' or something like that.

I'm using it as a temporary back up at the moment, so I don't want to turn it off in order to see what the message it.

back up the hard disk
    NOW

you may have a failing drive... possible a corrupt master file table if it is not finding the windows system files on every boot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Terry wrote: »

Sounds very like hard disk like freddy suggests, you can use something like MHDD or vivard on the UBCD to test the disk. If you have info on the disk you need, backup before testing

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I had a feeling that the HDD was failing because it is making some dodgy noises. It's not at the clicking stage, but it does sound dodgy.

I ordered a new one for it this morning, so I see what happens when that arrives.

Cheers all.

Advertisement