Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study maths!?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello. Repeat leaving cert, getting very frustrated with higher level maths, did it last year but coasted along with no real study at a D level. It was always my favourite subject up until this intense study of it came along last year.
    Hoping to do alot better this year, I set aside an hour everyday now for maths, but continually just give up about half way through because I don't think "I'm getting anywhere with it".. :rolleyes:
    Getting A/B in most other subjects, but get annoyed as I can't see the page by page being done as I do maths.

Any advice/tips/habbits very much appreciated.
    Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

I suggest that, take for example differential equations, do each type from the book do a couple of examples of each and when your confident try an exam question on that question. Repetition is key in the success of Maths. There is only a certain amount of ways they can ask the question good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

Take one question and explore all the possibilities. For example in differentiation take one equation and differentiate it. Then twist the same question a bit. Add a trigonometric function, or an exponential function to numerator or denominator and then try differentiating it. Then maybe you can add some condition like if the value of x is more than some number the function changes into another equation. Then try to differentiate and check whether derivative exists at that point or not. You dont need to solve thousands of questions. You just need to master a few. Rest will come automatically.

Advertisement