Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web development internship

Options
  • 21-11-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice. My goal is to become a web application developer. I'm already a decent coder in C++ and will be taking the Oracle Java certifications soon too. I have some HTML and CSS experience but nothing in php unfortunately.
    Anyway, I've found it difficult getting that first proper coding job so I decided to go for some internships. I've been lucky enough to have been offered one as a web developer. However, the company use Drupal so I feel that I may actually learn nothing in terms of coding, and I was looking to get hands-on with php and ajax stuff.
    I can't turn it down as it's experience but will it be a waste of time at the end of it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

omen80 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just looking for some advice. My goal is to become a web application developer. I'm already a decent coder in C++ and will be taking the Oracle Java certifications soon too. I have some HTML and CSS experience but nothing in php unfortunately.
    Anyway, I've found it difficult getting that first proper coding job so I decided to go for some internships. I've been lucky enough to have been offered one as a web developer. However, the company use Drupal so I feel that I may actually learn nothing in terms of coding, and I was looking to get hands-on with php and ajax stuff.
    I can't turn it down as it's experience but will it be a waste of time at the end of it?

Thanks

Drupal is written in PHP... so should be plenty of chance to write in it... However if you can write Java, you should really be looking at servlets and JSP. Much bigger opportunities (and money!).

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Drupal is written in PHP... so should be plenty of chance to write in it... However if you can write Java, you should really be looking at servlets and JSP. Much bigger opportunities (and money!).

That's why I'm studying for the Java certifications. But as I said I'm finding it hard getting a job so I had to take the internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

omen80 wrote: »
    That's why I'm studying for the Java certifications. But as I said I'm finding it hard getting a job so I had to take the internship.

A good personal project in Java will get you a job quicker than a cert tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If you were a decent c++ programmer you would be too busy with work to do all that other stuff. Interviewed some guys for c++ job last week, and most of them didn't even know how to use pointers.

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you were a decent c++ programmer you would be too busy with work to do all that other stuff. Interviewed some guys for c++ job last week, and most of them didn't even know how to use pointers.
    That's an amazing story, but it offers me no advice to my question.

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »
    A good personal project in Java will get you a job quicker than a cert tbh.
    Thanks, I'm actually just starting a personal web app project using Java, but I feel that having the cert is better than not having it. Every little helps when you're trying to get your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

That's an amazing story, but it offers me no advice to my question

What I think he is trying to say is that there is loads of work out there for decent C++ programmers and the work isn't going away. If you are a decent C++ programmer why are you looking to move into web world and why initially PHP?

amen wrote: »
    What I think he is trying to say is that there is loads of work out there for decent C++ programmers and the work isn't going away. If you are a decent C++ programmer why are you looking to move into web world and why initially PHP?
    There's loads of work out there for people with industry experience in an office setting etc. Like I said I'm trying to get that first job. I've found that recruitment agencies don't want to know if all you have done is project work, they don't see it as real experience. For the last 15 months I've been involved in the development of an audio production toolkit using C++ but it just doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.
    That's why I'm looking at internships..........so that I might be taken seriously in 6 months time.

Advertisement