Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unprovoked attack in UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What. There is obviously a reason for this we dont know about yet. Even the scumbaggiest scumbags dont just run up behind somebody and punch em in the back of the head with no motive. Especially a man to a woman :/ He didnt even rob her after..I'd reckon its a personal attack.

Even if there was a reason what he did was cowardly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do you actually think thats a hate crime?
    It could be; perhaps the man has a hatred of women and targeted her, similarly it could be about race, gender or social class, it could even be religiously motivated. Scumbags like that guy could have targeted anybody and had that girl been somewhere else then another women could have equally been the victim of the attack. In these types of attacks there is usually motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

A punch like that is incredibly dangerous, and the victim is seriously lucky that she didn't receive even greater injuries. Countless people have died in the past from similar attacks.

I honestly hope that this senseless attack doesn't traumatise the victim in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

What. There is obviously a reason for this we dont know about yet. Even the scumbaggiest scumbags dont just run up behind somebody and punch em in the back of the head with no motive. Especially a man to a woman :/ He didnt even rob her after..I'd reckon its a personal attack.

My brother was living with a friend in NY during a J1 about 7 or 8 years ago who was the victim of a gang initiation in Harlem. He was using a pay phone in broad daylight when a black teenager hit him in the side of the head with an iron bar which in turn smashed his head into the pay phone. His jaw was almost detached from his skull in the impact and his injuries were horrific to say the least.

Cops said it was gang initiation and there would be very little chance of catching anybody.

This is the kind of **** that gangs do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

A punch like that is incredibly dangerous, and the victim is seriously lucky that she didn't receive even greater injuries. Countless people have died in the past from similar attacks.

I honestly hope that this senseless attack doesn't traumatise the victim in any way.

I think countless might be exaggerating it a bit, it's hardly an epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Does it make me a bad person that I was hoping for the Hollywood ending - where that c*nt is running away and a bus plows into him, rendering him a vegetable for the rest of his days?!

Sick of hearing all the excuses for these scumbags - they had no playgrounds, the government hand outs only covered the basic sky packages ... these vermin are of no use to the human race. That is of course if this was an unprovoked attack as described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I hope they catch that prick and lock him up for attempted murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say he'll be collared before morning.

As for hate crime, give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nodin wrote: »
    Pull the other one.
    If the attacker was white and the victim black, this would without doubt be branded a hate crime despite the complete lack of evidence for such. Lets at least have a little consistency in our PC hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Does it make me a bad person that I was hoping for the Hollywood ending - where that c*nt is running away and a bus plows into him, rendering him a vegetable for the rest of his days?!

Christ no, that would be more expensive than prison.

Anyway expect he will be a fair number of years for what he has done, despite what the Mail says

Hope the girl recovers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

old hippy wrote: »
    Um, no. That would make us party to barbarism and no better than them.

The gangs need to be dismantled and young people need to be stimulated and nurtured, not left on sink estates with no amenities and a grim future.

There was a programme brought in in Easterhouse in East Glasgow, which brought about significant reduction in gang violence. It got the gangs in sit downs, had ex gang members showing them the error of their ways. Had members of victims' families speak to them and made impressions.

It got results, as opposed to the typical knee jerk reactions so beloved of the tabloidesque punters.

Sink estates?

I was under the impression that the majority of violent crime like this was committed by middle/upper class youths from reasonably affluent backgrounds?

Maire2009 wrote: »

Sick of hearing all the excuses for these scumbags - they had no playgrounds, the government hand outs only covered the basic sky packages ... these vermin are of no use to the human race. That is of course if this was an unprovoked attack as described.

scumbags are scumbags, and many more people come from disadvantaged backgrounds yet they don't go around being a scumbag. The liberals will always make any excuse fro scum. For every scumbag like this guy there is dozens of people who could have the worst upbringing in poor social conditions yet they are normal functioning members of society. It is no excuse and he should lose his freedom for a long time and scum like him should not be given an easy time, chain gangs breaking rocks with sledge hammers at 5 in the morning would be most appropriate. He tried to take away her most fundamental right - life, so why should society afford him any rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

dlofnep wrote: »
    I hope they catch that prick and lock him up for attempted murder.

The sad thing is it probably wont happen even if hes caught he will prob wont even get jail. What a bastardd. The world would make you sick sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mackg wrote: »
    How does that make any difference? People used to be put in the stocks where they lived. That means the people they knew saw them, does anyone really give a shít what random people on the internet think?

Quite frankly yes they do. If you were put on the stocks in your town you could just move. With the internet being global there's nowhere you can hide. Everyone will know you're a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Christ no, that would be more expensive than prison.

Anyway expect he will be a fair number of years for what he has done, despite what the Mail says

Hope the girl recovers

She seems to be okay physically since they released her early enough from hospital - but jeez, she will be taking looking over her shoulder to a whole new level. After getting hit like that out of nowhere - everything would frighten you.

On the race topic - while I see it as just plain savagery, the people arguing that if it was white on black it would be classed as a race hate crime, they have a very valid point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If the attacker was white and the victim black, this would without doubt be branded a hate crime crime despite the complete lack of evidence for such.......

Justifying hysteria by an assumption of same.....no, I think I'll pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Stinicker wrote: »
    scumbags are scumbags, and many more people come from disadvantaged backgrounds yet they don't go around being a scumbag. The liberals will always make any excuse fro scum. For every scumbag like this guy there is dozens of people who could have the worst upbringing in poor social conditions yet they are normal functioning members of society. It is no excuse and he should lose his freedom for a long time and scum like him should not be given an easy time, chain gangs breaking rocks with sledge hammers at 5 in the morning would be most appropriate. He tried to take away her most fundamental right - life, so why should society afford him any rights.

The liberals NEVER excuse people from good backgrounds. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

When he's found out castrate him.

I could support castration for violent crime. It would likely lead to a much lower rate of recidivism, as without the testosterone many of the violent urges would be lessened. It certainly works on dogs.

Nothing new that can be added here that wasn't said before sadly....and we'll be sitting here in 10yrs watching similar and repeating ourselves there too.

I'd bet that lad has been in jail/trouble with the law before.
    If we handed down severe sentences then we'd eliminate a lot of this through: absence on the streets, more likely to avoid doing it if they knew they'd get about 5 years.

Just like in the less developed world(funny we consider ourselves in the developed world but the less developed seem to have a better system for punishing low lives) we should really be fighting fire with fire and just downright torturing people like this.
    I think if you've convicted off violent crimes you should be impeded as a person i.e put in a wheelchair after serving time in jail with a beating thrown in.

And to top it off, we should start sterilising repeat offenders. On your second offence you're sterilised.... bad parents, raise bad kids.
    Time we eradicated scum out of our societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

3 pages in and people are already saying we should execute people for punching each other...

Anyway, pretty awful stuff. Hope they get him. What a little scumbag.

Absolutely...that's not punching like a man punches a man in a fight, or even some drunks sucker punching each other. This is an unprovoked attack on an innocent female.

What did he gain by punching her? Risking her life...she hit the ground pretty hard, could have been brain damaged, incapacitated or killed.

Oooh don't execute the dysfunctional freak in our society!! He has rights too...no he doesn't...he forwent his rights when he raised his fist to an innocent woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

cafecolour wrote: »
    I could support castration for violent crime. It would likely lead to a much lower rate of recidivism, as without the testosterone many of the violent urges would be lessened. It certainly works on dogs.

I think this is the only answer for a sicko like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Justifying hysteria by an assumption of same.....no, I think I'll pass.
    Ah nodin, bet it put you right off your organic fair trade flaxseed brownies when you saw the perp was black and the victim white!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Well it didn't work in the past, so why would it now?

That about sums it up. Public executions and floggings and things like that served some kind of a purpose, I suppose, in the days before TV. And now we have treatments for the kind of people who want to witness them.:)

The assailant may be, as one Mod has called him, a c*nt, or it may be some kind of gang initiation, or the guy was totally out of his head on some or other psychotropic substance, which he may have taken intentionally or inadvertently, or it could be a person who is desperately in need of psychiatric treatment and is not getting it...

The fact is, we simply don't know. But some of the proposed "solutions" tell an awful lot more about the people presenting them than it does about the incident. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Arpa wrote: »
    Absolutely...that's not punching like a man punches a man in a fight, or even some drunks sucker punching each other. This is an unprovoked attack on an innocent female.

What did he gain by punching her? Risking her life...she hit the ground pretty hard, could have been brain damaged, incapacitated or killed.

Oooh don't execute the dysfunctional freak in our society!! He has rights too...no he doesn't...he forwent his rights when he raised his fist to an innocent woman.

Stop being an eejit.

Would the hanging brigade still hang the geezer turns out to be a schizophrenic off his meds with a family at their wits end, looking for him trying to get him treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

wprathead wrote: »
    lasting until 3 pages is pretty progressive of AH in fairness:D
    Indeed it is, but then again we've swiftly moved onto castration, sterilisation, incapacitation...plus blaming the 'liberals'
    cafecolour wrote: »
    I think if you've convicted off violent crimes you should be impeded as a person i.e put in a wheelchair after serving time in jail with a beating thrown in.

And to top it off, we should start sterilising repeat offenders. On your second offence you're sterilised.... bad parents, raise bad kids.
    Time we eradicated scum out of our societies.
    One step forward, two steps back

Stop being an eejit.

I thought he was making a very valid point, why should this man be afforded the privilege and rights which so many other people respect when he tried to murder a young girl like this. He should be incarcerated and put his time to something useful for society. Had she died he should then be hung for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Stop being an eejit.

I'm not...I'm being serious. What do you think is wrong in my argument? People who punch innocent people should be dealt with very harshly. Perhaps execution is strong but this video made me so angry because I've been in similar situations myself.

We shouldn't have to walk the streets wondering if some dysfucntional freak is going to smack us in the face for no reason.

Not being an eejit at all mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

Wonderful multicultural London, we can look forward to those sorts of mischievous hi-jinks happening here in Ireland as well more regularly over the next ten to fifteen years. Should they lock him up when they catch him? Why would they do that? He's enriched their country so much.

Mod: User banned.

smash wrote: »
    Quite frankly yes they do. If you were put on the stocks in your town you could just move. With the internet being global there's nowhere you can hide. Everyone will know you're a cúnt.

Hide from what? Disapproving looks? People would barely intervene if they saw that happening never mind going and doing something if they saw him later. If that was a gang initiation and he passed to you really think he gives a crap what law abiding citizens think of him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

You're talking about execution based on what could have happened rather than what actually happened. So, yes, you are being a bit of an eejit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Similar happened to my friend down in Cork one night. Out of nowhere a wild scumbag appears and throws the exact same punch but in the last second my friend flinches and avoids a full blow to the side of the head. Before this coward could turn around and run my mate uppercuts him and knocks him out. (Dont **** with a russian Martial arts instructor lol)
    The sad truth is, this kinda **** is happening more and more Could have easily been a knife or any weapon she was hit with. Hope she is ok physically and mentally. Not a nice thing to see never mind happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hide from what? Disapproving looks? People would barely intervene if they saw that happening never mind going and doing something if they saw him later. If that was a gang initiation and he passed to you really think he gives a crap what law abiding citizens think of him?
    Chances of him actually getting a job in future are slim if his name and photo are on the net in relation to a violent crime.

Wonderful multicultural London, we can look forward to those sorts of mischievous hi-jinks happening here in Ireland as well more regularly over the next ten to fifteen years. Should they lock him up when they catch him? Why would they do that? He's enriched their country so much.

He did because he's black, lovely stuff.

Would the hanging brigade still hang the geezer turns out to be a schizophrenic off his meds with a family at their wits end, looking for him trying to get him treatment.

Whats the chances in that? I'd say very slim.

Whats the chances that this was an act of violence from a flat out scumbag? Probably 99%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This pile of piss better hope the police catch him before very angry joe public does .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Judging by the degree of savagery in that attack I think prison will be about containing that guy rather than rehabilitation.

Some people are just sociopaths and there is no cure for that. All that can be done in that case is a very long prison sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I don't get the fixation with the race issue, as far as I can tell, the woman being attacked has sallow skin.

You can get UK women that basically look like they have a mild tan, but come from an African or Caribbean background.

Sorry for the lack of diplomatic phrasing.

The attacker is still an arsehole, regardless of colour.

Whats the chances in that? I'd say very slim.

Whats the chances that this was an act of violence from a flat out scumbag? Probably 99%

Not as slim as would think, there has been a number of incidents in the years i have been in the UK.

So can we all get off the outrage bus, and let the police and courts deal with the matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not as slim as would think, there has been a number of incidents in the years i have been in the UK.

So can we all get off the outrage bus, and let the police and courts deal with the matter

Ehh we should be outraged at this happening in the first world.
    Its people accepting "sure it happens everywhere" that I find amazing. where do you draw the line with this attitude?
    This is completely abhorrent behaviour, this person has clearly decided that the do not want to be part of society, so they should be removed from society. Deported from the civilized world, feck them off to the equivalent of a penal colony and sterilize them. job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not that "happy" slapping shyte again.

Thought that had died out to a large degree.

A little info.
    Happy Slapping is/was exactly that - slapping, to be recorded by the attacker's friend.
    This looks like a potentially fatal punch thankfully caught by CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smoking gun

Would love to be walking behind that jigaboo with a bat after he did that,let me tell ye folks.

Would only love it...

Mod: User Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Reoil wrote: »
    A little info.
    Happy Slapping is/was exactly that - slapping, to be recorded by the attacker's friend.
    This looks like a potentially fatal punch thankfully caught by CCTV.

Oh its being done for comedic purposes?
    Grand so. Slap away.:confused:

smash wrote: »
    Chances of him actually getting a job in future are slim if his name and photo are on the net in relation to a violent crime.

The problem with that is that gang members (again going on that assumption) aren't really known for holding down jobs on the side and you're pretty much guaranteeing he can never leave the gang.

If it's purely a random attack then the guy probably has a serious defect and won't be put off doing it again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Unusually there's no sign of anyone fantasising about him getting raped in prison.

He is too repulsive looking but they could always use a broom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There is far too much softly, softly... Poor them, society has failed them...
    Maybe for a minority this approach might work..

For my tax €€€'s I want to see some punishment along with rehabilitation.. The prisons are far too much about prisoner rights, play stations, libraries, training drugs, phones and all that crap..

The first 50% of all sentences should be hell on earth, it should be such an awful experience that the inmates use the second half of their sentenance to rehabilitate themselves with the facilities on offer.
    Subsequent convictions would be 60%, then 70% punishment verses rehabilitation.
    The punishment portion should leave these criminals with no doubt that crime doesn't pay and nothing is worth the risk of being sent back inside..

The thing is the police and the courts don't deal with these matters adequately, the "punishment" he would likely receive would be less effective than a slap on the wrist.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I don't get the fixation with the race issue, as far as I can tell, the woman being attacked has sallow skin.

You can get UK women that basically look like they have a mild tan, but come from an African or Caribbean background.

Sorry for the lack of diplomatic phrasing.

The attacker is still an arsehole, regardless of colour.

Nah what's annoying is that when a seemingly random attack happened to a black person there was a single person calling it a race crime. Some of those who who argued that there was no evidence for that are being called PC for not biting at the minority who like to pretend that everyone said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

It's disturbing seeing her lying so rigid on the ground, what would be going through his head to do that to someone, there is no rehabilitating some like him, should be just shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement