Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unprovoked attack in UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So which is it Moo playgrounds or hangin? :D

cake or death? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Laneyh wrote: »
    Why? If the man is mentally unwell then someone should be doing a better job of treating him.

I realise that is little comfort to the innocent victim but you can't equate the calculated actions of a person wilfully out to do harm with those of someone who is mentally unwell.

I don't buy it, everyone knows that is wrong just because they blame a voice in their head doesn't wash with me. Anyway i'm far more concerned with the safety of everyday people. I have no concern for adults who are violent no matter what the excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Another scummer representative from ScumCorp Ltd.

There have been a number of cases where someone with a mental illness has committed an unprovoked assault or pushed someone in front of the tube but there are also some bad b@stards out there.

And they are b@stards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Would it be wrong of me to upload this to youtube, with the "Ahhhh heeeyorr leave it bleedin out!!" woman as the soundtrack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

woodoo wrote: »
    And they are b@stards too.

They are ill. They should not be in a position to carry out such things but they are not in their right mind either
    I'm not asking you to buy it as I'm not selling anything

Of course violence is wrong. The ferocity of that attack would not be ok even if it was provoked quite frankly
    The authorities still need to find the attacker and make sure that he doesn't do this or worse again in the future.

However, I would not like to see the same punishment meted out on someone who is mentally ill versus someone who is a wrongun

Mental illness is quite a bit more complex than someone hearing voices in their head. Choosing to hang people who are unstable / unwell to show that violence is wrong and unacceptable makes perfect sense in some universe I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...it has to be said, he looks a bit long in the tooth to be involved in some gang initiation.

They are ill. They should not be in a position to carry out such things but they are not in their right mind either
    I'm not asking you to buy it as I'm not selling anything

Of course violence is wrong. The ferocity of that attack would not be ok even if it was provoked quite frankly
    The authorities still need to find the attacker and make sure that he doesn't do this or worse again in the future.

However, I would not like to see the same punishment meted out on someone who is mentally ill versus someone who is a wrongun

Mental illness is quite a bit more complex than someone hearing voices in their head. Choosing to hang people who are unstable / unwell to show that violence is wrong and unacceptable makes perfect sense in some universe I'm sure

We are moving to a place in society where mental illness is seen as a valid excuse for violence and i believe it is being abused by the people themselves. I know of a schizophrenic alcoholic who is often involved in drunken assaults and he has no fear of the law because of his mental illness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Society has broken down completely. The law is a joke, and the scumbags know that. All respect is gone. You even see it everyday with so called normal people, in bad manners: like letting a shop door slam in your face as they exit, parking in the middle of a petrol lane taking up two sets of pumps, letting their dogs bark all night and get angry with you when u ask them nicely could do something about it as it is keeping you awake, not leting u ahead in the queue in the supermarket when u only have one item and they have the EU food mountain in their trolly, parking over the white line on car parks so it blocks another motorist from getting that spot beside them: I could go on and on, but the crux of the matter is, society is gone beyond repair, people over fourty still have the value system, a few years below that and keep going and its a mess, each generation gets more inconsiderate than the last.

I'm stopping here as my head is itching me, and I'm going to wash it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Nodin wrote: »
    ...it has to be said, he looks a bit long in the tooth to be involved in some gang initiation.

He does
    It's amazing really, if he was of different ethnicity I doubt gangs would've been mentioned at all- even though there are many different gangs in London

If it was a gang initiation you would expect to see another member of the gang
    I assume gang initiations have to be verified and its not like he knew this would be on the news.

A lot of attacks happen in London - this one made the news as it was particularly vicious and cowardly.

Maybe the attack was racially motivated. Who the hell knows
    The scariest thing (aside from the violence ) was how calmly he dealt the blow and fled the scene. He almost made it look like a totally normal thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Society has broken down completely.

Biker gangs and road warriors or zombie/mutant apocalypse?

,,,,if hair starts coming out and only raw meat quenches your hunger, it means The Change is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's a simple fact that people are made by their environment and experience. Take a baby out of it's environment and put it into another and you change what that bay experiences and by extension the adult that baby becomes.

I'm a firm believer that the justice system should not be about punishment, punishment should be a means to an end, the end being a well adjusted civil human being. The 'Correctional Facilities' should live up to their name and correct bad behaviour, not reinforce it, which is all that would happen if the medieval torture punishments suggested here were meted out.

The man in the video is clearly mentally sick. He shows a complete lack of empathy for others. Unless he is a psychopath or has some other neurological disorder his mental sickness can be treated and his behaviour corrected, in this cause the carrot is often a more useful tool than the stick.

Our impulse for revenge is a base instinct. It's what kept small groups of pre-historic humans in control and intact, but it is insufficient to control a society as large and complex as ours and should be disregarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Society has broken down completely. The law is a joke, and the scumbags know that. All respect is gone. You even see it everyday with so called normal people, in bad manners: like letting a shop door slam in your face as they exit, parking in the middle of a petrol lane taking up two sets of pumps, letting their dogs bark all night and get angry with you when u ask them nicely could do something about it as it is keeping you awake, not leting u ahead in the queue in the supermarket when u only have one item and they have the EU food mountain in their trolly, parking over the white line on car parks so it blocks another motorist from getting that spot beside them: I could go on and on, but the crux of the matter is, society is gone beyond repair, people over fourty still have the value system, a few years below that and keep going and its a mess, each generation gets more inconsiderate than the last.

While the post is a tad OTT, I do agree with the sentiment.
    People care far less (or at least it seems that way) about what other people think about them and how they are perceived these days.
    To some this is a good thing, personally I feel its gone far too far, to the point where people have no respect for themselves.

Young girls on the luas in their pyjamas singing along to music blaring on their phone about some guy "giving them one" and almost daring you to look at them so they can launch a tirade at you. If there was somewhere to move to I'd move, but from what I can see its the same everywhere and only getting worse. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Nasty attack that was. He will be caught for sure i'm positive on that.

I know a lot of people complain about all the cctv's watching everyone's moves, but in this case they got his face so it won't be long after a slight computer enhancement that said scumbag will be brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sink wrote: »
    The man in the video is clearly mentally sick. He shows a complete lack of empathy for others. Unless he is a psychopath or has some other neurological disorder his mental sickness can be treated and his behaviour corrected, in this cause the carrot is often a more useful tool than the stick.

Our impulse for revenge is a base instinct. It's what kept small groups of pre-historic humans in control and intact, but it is insufficient to control a society as large and complex as ours and should be disregarded.

We hope he is sick, for our own sakes. If not then society is in a bad place.
    I fear he isnt though.

The problem I see with your approach is that while you and I and all civil, socially minded people would be able to sit down and have a conversation about issues, people like this are not and are likely to brick you in the head instead, because thats what they understand. No amount of training/behavioural therapy can change who they are, any more than you can tame a wild animal, deep down, they are still animals, like this gentleman.

I totally agree with trying to change the environment that bred this, but that cant be the only approach, because we have missed that boat with millions of people, we cant just ignore that fact. There are literally thousands of people in Dublin right now whom I believe are beyond correctional help, worse still, they dont think they are wrong, they think we are weak for not acting the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society!
    We are moving to a place in society where mental illness is seen as a valid excuse for violence and i believe it is being abused by the people themselves. I know of a schizophrenic alcoholic who is often involved in drunken assaults and he has no fear of the law because of his mental illness.
    We've reached a place where mental illness is recognised as the valid, legitimate cause of some violence. This is not erroneous thinking, it is surely progress? Far better than having all these people committing unprovoked acts of violence and nobody having a clue why or what can be done. And that doesn't mean it's deemed an excuse, but it does help explain it. If mental illness causes violence, it causes violence. No opinion is gonna change that reality. People not wishing to accept mental illness can cause violence don't make a jot of difference either - it can do, and that's just a fact. I will concede that it seems to be difficult in this country to have a mentally unstable and potentially dangerous person hospitalised for their and others' safety.

GreeBo wrote: »
    While the post is a tad OTT, I do agree with the sentiment.
    People care far less (or at least it seems that way) about what other people think about them and how they are perceived these days.
    To some this is a good thing, personally I feel its gone far too far, to the point where people have no respect for themselves.

Young girls on the luas in their pyjamas singing along to music blaring on their phone about some guy "giving them one" and almost daring you to look at them so they can launch a tirade at you. If there was somewhere to move to I'd move, but from what I can see its the same everywhere and only getting worse. :(

Its depressing, isn't it? I can't see a way back for society - I mean, where would we even begin? Nope, I'm off to that cave in Tibet I was always talking about - you can join me if you want lol. Being serious though, that was very disturbing cctv. I hope that girl is alright, but he really whacked her, and she the ground with some force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Madam_X wrote: »
    Prevention is better than cure. A grassroots initiative that aims to steer people away from gang life would benefit society - all of us. Such a suggestion has far more substance to it than "just being peeecee". Violent retribution, not a guaranteed deterrent, will do feck all for society at large and the cycle will just continue.

You won't be saying that when all the black Mexicans are living next door, stealing all the swans to sacrifice in their chow mein fueled Islamo-Jewish rituals.

We've reached a place where mental illness is recognised as the valid, legitimate cause of some violence. This is not erroneous thinking, it is surely progress? Far better than having all these people committing unprovoked acts of violence and nobody having a clue why or what can be done. And that doesn't mean it's deemed an excuse, but it does help explain it. If mental illness causes violence, it causes violence. No opinion is gonna change that reality. People not wishing to accept mental illness can cause violence don't make a jot of difference either - it can do, and that's just a fact. I will concede that it seems to be difficult in this country to have a mentally unstable and potentially dangerous person hospitalised for their and others' safety.

I'm not denying that mental illness causes violence. I'm saying its not a good enough excuse. They should still be held responsible for it and punished. Its dangerous for society to allow it to be a get out of jail card.

You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society!

Ever hear of Kelly Thomas over in Fullerton, Florida? He was a 34 year old scitzophrenic who was afraid of the law - he was a homeless man who was beaten to death by the police for no reason all caught on cctv and posted on ytube. I won't leave a link as it is very disturbing, but if u type in kelly thomas murder into ytube you'll see what I'm talking about. I'd advise not doing it, be better to wiki the story, that's shocking enough.

What's my point, I've forgotton, oh yeah, in the sTATES THE COPS WILL BEAT U TO DEATH if u piss them off, in Europe mental people have a licence to knock seven bells out whoever they want and then laugh at the police, safe under the protection of the liberal pc human rights brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

I'm not denying that mental illness causes violence. I'm saying its not a good enough excuse. They should still be held responsible for it and punished. Its dangerous for society to allow it to be a get out of jail card.
    It's also a handy smokescreen to avoid facing the reality that evil exists in society and is all around us

wow i wish i didnt watch that at all

she is ok alive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

GreeBo wrote: »
    We hope he is sick, for our own sakes. If not then society is in a bad place.
    I fear he isnt though.

The problem I see with your approach is that while you and I and all civil, socially minded people would be able to sit down and have a conversation about issues, people like this are not and are likely to brick you in the head instead, because thats what they understand. No amount of training/behavioural therapy can change who they are, any more than you can tame a wild animal, deep down, they are still animals, like this gentleman.

I totally agree with trying to change the environment that bred this, but that cant be the only approach, because we have missed that boat with millions of people, we cant just ignore that fact. There are literally thousands of people in Dublin right now whom I believe are beyond correctional help, worse still, they dont think they are wrong, they think we are weak for not acting the same way.

If the goal is to reduce a convicts propensity for crime you have implied that punishment is insufficient, so why continue with something that you know will not have the desired result? The only thing it will do is satisfy our base urge for revenge. If that's what you want, well then continue doing so and you would be right to expect nothing to change.

I don't believe we should give up, our correctional facilities have barely explored alternative science based approaches. It's not politically popular to espouse alternatives to straight punishment and so it will probably never happen but I think we need to be more experimental in our approach.

I agree, but they're not the same as sane people who are violent. Plus, if a psychotic episode over which they have no control leads to a violent act, well it's not an excuse to say their responsibility is diminished - it's just a fact. I'd have thought society would deem them in need of being sent to a psychiatric facility.
    It's also a handy smokescreen to avoid facing the reality that evil exists in society and is all around us
    I don't know whether the diagnosis of someone by a psychiatrist as mentally unstable is a smokescreen; if they claim to be insane and are evaluated and deemed sane, well then they'll be treated as such. It's not a case of "Oh they claim to be insane, that's it, go easy on them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

oh i'd love to take a chainsaw to his balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Bemoaning the breakdown of 'values' in society whilst getting a sneaky dig in at the EU. I'm well impressed - you should seriously consider a career writing for the Daily Mail.

Ever hear of Kelly Thomas over in Fullerton, Florida? He was a 34 year old scitzophrenic who was afraid of the law - he was a homeless man who was beaten to death by the police for no reason all caught on cctv and posted on ytube. I won't leave a link as it is very disturbing, but if u type in kelly thomas murder into ytube you'll see what I'm talking about. I'd advise not doing it, be better to wiki the story, that's shocking enough.

What's my point, I've forgotton, oh yeah, in the sTATES THE COPS WILL BEAT U TO DEATH if u piss them off, in Europe mental people have a licence to knock seven bells out whoever they want and then laugh at the police, safe under the protection of the liberal pc human rights brigade.
    :confused:
    Any cop in America who beats someone to death is breaking the law - that case is an isolated incident; it doesn't mean "Cops will beat you to death". You concede yourself that it wasn't a good thing, he didnt do anything to piss the cops off, and theyre thugs who should go to jail... so what's the point in using it to contrast with your imagined state of affairs in Europe? No "mental" people have a "licence" to batter anyone in Europe. Nobody says they should have, "liberal pc" is long established as a silly phrase... and "human rights" - oh noes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

tajd wrote: »
    wow i wish i didnt watch that at all

she is ok alive ?
    Feck what happens to the scumbag who hit her that's what I'd like to know. Please god she'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Such a evil fucking prick :mad:

Why ... just why?
    It just boogles the mind. He wasnt robbing her or anything (which would be just as evil) but why randomly do that?! But the messed up thing is that he followed her from her house. Which doesnt sound random.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

:confused:
    Any cop in America who beats someone to death is breaking the law - that case is an isolated incident; it doesn't mean "Cops will beat you to death". You concede yourself that it wasn't a good thing, he didnt do anything to piss the cops off, and theyre thugs who should go to jail... so what's the point in using it to contrast with your imagined state of affairs in Europe? No "mental" people have a "licence" to batter anyone in Europe. Nobody says they should have, "liberal pc" is long established as a silly phrase... and "human rights" - oh noes!

Pfft, don't you get it? The cops beat someone to death in the USA and as we all know, there are no violent crimes in the USA now because everyone is afraid of the cops because some cops beat someone to death, but in Europe that one particular incident didn't happen so no one here is afraid of the cops so they all pretend to have mental illnesses so they can commit violent crimes because purple monkey dishwasher.

strobe wrote: »
    Pfft, don't you get it? The cops beat someone to death in the USA and as we all know, there are no violent crimes in the USA now because everyone is afraid of the cops because some cops beat someone to death, but in Europe that one particular incident didn't happen so no one here is afraid of the cops so they all pretend to have mental illnesses so they can commit violent crimes because purple monkey dishwasher.
    So tempting... Anyone know how I can get a "mental" licence so I can go around battering people (supported by my trusty personal pc liberal human rights brigade) in Paris and not get touched by the Gendarmes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Some people are just callous cunts and it has nothing to do with their skin colour, upbringing, socio-economic background or whateva.

There is a part of me that would like to see this guy get a bit of street 'justice' but that's just the thug in me that needs to be controlled by me and things like a functioning justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Seems they've arrested a man in connection with the assault:

A man has been arrested after a 16-year-old girl was punched in the head in an apparently random attack caught on CCTV.

The shocking footage shows a man jogging up behind the 16-year-old and hitting her around the head.

The girl was left lying on the ground in Plaistow, east London, as her attacker casually jogged off.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A man, aged 34, was arrested yesterday evening in connection with the assault of a 16-year-old female in High Street, Plaistow.

"He remains in custody at an east London police station."

The teenager is now recovering after the attack which happened outside the Black Lion pub at around 12.30pm on November 13.

The girl, who needed work on her teeth following the assault, is said to be "bearing up really well".

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sakimotosan

That is absolutely sickening. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Random attack reminds me of a guy I know who was walking home after a night out in Galway when he got bottled on the head by a randomer walking by him.

The guy was already hammered and went to bed when he got home and passed out. Wasn't until his father saw blood everywhere the next the day that he woke him up and brought him to the hospital.

Very lucky bastard, he apparently lost a few pints of blood and if his father didn't wake him up he was a goner. Saw the mattress and it was 3/4 covered in blood, looked like someone was murdered on it.

• Advertisement

Yeh one night my friend just got punched in the head repeatedly by some random guy on the street. The little prick was unlucky - picked the wrong guy to assault, but my friend was also lucky in that the guy was the same size as him. If it were a much bigger lad, things might not have worked out so well. :-/

• For the people who think this doesn't happen in Ireland, I was randomly assaulted twice in Dublin while minding my own business. Both times in broad daylight on a busy street. Complete strangers. Nothing like that ever happened to me in London. There are nutters and scumbags everywhere.

BBDBB wrote: »
    what a coward

Anytime I see you post, no matter what your say, the smiley in your signature makes me read it with a hint of sarcasm.

Anyway - back on topic, That was such a horrible attack for absolutely no reason. That girl is lucky she's still alive - there was nothing stopping her head from hitting the cement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Firing squads for scumbags, his family should be fined (if he has any) for producing such a POS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

jugger0 wrote: »
    Firing squads for scumbags, his family should be fined (if he has any) for producing such a POS.

Loving the knee jerkery here :rolleyes:

Every family will have someone in it who causes grief. Should every family be fined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

For the people who think this doesn't happen in Ireland, I was randomly assaulted twice in Dublin while minding my own business. Both times in broad daylight on a busy street. Complete strangers. Nothing like that ever happened to me in London. There are nutters and scumbags everywhere.

If I said it once I'll say it a hundred times...the random violence problem in Ireland is staggering!I always knew it was bad and it seems even more obvious to me now when I go back to visit.Each night i've been out when I've visited cork i've seen people beating the sh1t out of each other. A guy in the brog the last night I was there smashed a pint glass into another guys eye.I've never seen anything like that in the 1.5 years i've lived outside Ireland now. And believe me i'm not one of those people who is down on Ireland cause i live abroad,I always back the place up and defend it. But this is one area where I think we really let ourselves down and need to get a grip.

parc wrote: »
    fcuk! i would seriously string that cnut up by the balls (op's video)

Yeah, the pornography of vengeance and retribution. You folks really get off on all this would be torture and violence.

Outstanding thread.

old hippy wrote: »
    Loving the knee jerkery here :rolleyes:

Every family will have someone in it who causes grief. Should every family be fined?

No they dont,and i cant think of any of my mates who have scumbag criminal relatives either.

Geri Male wrote: »
    The liberals NEVER excuse people from good backgrounds. Funny that.

Lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Punching a 16 yr old girl = cowardly piece of ****

Punching anyone completely unsuspecting in the back of the neck = cowardly piece of ****

Punching a 16 yr old girl completely unsuspecting in the back of the neck = (Cowardly piece of ****)²

old hippy wrote: »
    Yeah, the pornography of vengeance and retribution. You folks really get off on all this would be torture and violence.

Outstanding thread.

And you seem to get horn for flower power, theres alot of people in the world who would think nothing of stabbing you in the head with a screw driver and would laugh about it after, these people should be executed or kept in a tiny box for the rest of their lives, you cant make everything better with love and soft sentences!

No they dont,and i cant think of any of my mates who have scumbag criminal relatives either.

Well, lucky you. You can grease your weapon for the firing squad and not worry about rubbing out one of your own.

Feeling a bit hot under the collar at the thought of it, aren't you?

I agree not every family has trouble-makers, but to say his family should be locked up... I thought he was the one responsible and his upbringing wasn't to blame?

And you seem to get horn for flower power, theres alot of people in the world who would think nothing of stabbing you in the head with a screw driver and would laugh about it after, these people should be executed or kept in a tiny box for the rest of their lives, you cant make everything better with love and soft sentences!

I've been hospitalised. Lots of things have happened to me over the years and raging hard ons for vigilante style retribution or kangaroo courts like you haven't destroyed my faith in humanity.

Still, it's nice to have all the Liam Neesons in one place, for a change. Keep an eye on them, like.

I agree not every family has trouble-makers, but to say his family should be locked up... I thought he was the one responsible and his upbringing wasn't to blame?

They should have to pay for keeping him in prison or else for the firing squads bullets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement