Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My way is the right way

• 21-11-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Or so I like to think on many different things such as how I make a glass of diluted cordial or load the dishwasher.

When I make some blackcurrant I fill the glass up to a certain point with water and then add the cordial whereas my son puts the cordial in first and gives out to me for doing it the wrong way!

When it comes to the dishwasher I have certain places for things in it and get annoyed when someone doesnt follow my system but I dont think I am particularly weird. I especially am fussy about making sure that forks are together, knives together etc but notice in other people's houses that they just put the cutlery in any place.

Are there things that you like to do in a particular way that others think is the wrong way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Witchie wrote: »
    When I make some blackcurrant I fill the glass up to a certain point with water and then add the cordial whereas my son puts the cordial in first and gives out to me for doing it the wrong way!
    You are doing the wrong way... it doesn't even dilute properly the way you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Yes packing the shopping. I pack things in order so it's easy put them away when I get home. I hate when there are people helping at the tills because they throw everything in together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Your son is right, cordial first. Cutlery has to be handle up, or else you risk getting stabbed and have to touch the clean blades with possibly dirty hands when you empty the dishwasher, and get food mess on your hands trying to put in other cutlery & plates. I do not understand the putting them in handle first it's just backwards and awkward. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

CORDIAL FIRST

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Or so I like to think on many different things such as how I make a glass of diluted cordial or load the dishwasher.

When it comes to the dishwasher I have certain places for things in it and get annoyed when someone doesnt follow my system but I dont think I am particularly weird. I especially am fussy about making sure that forks are together, knives together etc but notice in other people's houses that they just put the cutlery in any place.

Are there things that you like to do in a particular way that others think is the wrong way?
    I know we ve only just met but theres something about you I dont like .

• Advertisement

The cordial goes in first and the water mixes it. You're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You're being weird about cutlery and that's pretty weird in itself. You're doing the cordial wrong imo. Water goes in on top of the cordial, it mixes properly that way and you know the right measurement.

But I'm not anal about everyday things. We all have to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

smash wrote: »
    You are doing the wrong way... it doesn't even dilute properly the way you do it.
    The cordial goes in first and the water mixes it. You're doing it wrong.

You are both wrong as well!!

It doesn't matter what goes in first as long as you shake it up in a cocktail shaker. Cocktail shaker is the correct way! :mad:

You are both wrong as well!!

It doesn't matter what goes in first as long as you shake it up in a cocktail shaker. Cocktail shaker is the correct way! :mad:

And have more things to put in the dishwasher the wrong way? Nuh uh.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

The house needs to be cleaned from the top down

The real butter goes in the press and the spread must go back in the fridge,

Its not about the toilet seat being down is not the issue the isse is the lid should be down- sh1t particles as much as possible should be kept in the toilet.

The remote should be put on the coffee table last thing at night I do not want to have to go hunting for it amongst the cushions.

and so on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

And have more things to put in the dishwasher the wrong way? Nuh uh.

Its worth it for perfectly shaken cordial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dollypet wrote: »
    sh1t particles as much as possible should be kept in the toilet.

charming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Dude, you're fucked in the head for pouring cordial on top of the water. Do you half fill a bowl with milk and then chuck in a fistful of corn flakes/muesli/whatever?

I'd seek a psychiatric evaluation if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Dude, you're fucked in the head for pouring cordial on top of the water. Do you half fill a bowl with milk and then chuck in a fistful of corn flakes/muesli/whatever?

I dont take milk so cant see the point you are making. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah cordial first so you know how much your putting in also it mixes better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Em yes, I do, I LIKE TO BE ALTERNATIVE. Ahem. Except not with cornflakes, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I never knew that people said cordial. I call it diluted orange or lemon etc, by its brand name or just juice. A mixer if its in a bar setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Do you do this when you are making instant coffee? I.e. fill a cup with hot water, and then spoon on some coffee granules? If there is logic behind your approach to making cordial, then it should also apply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Am I the only person that doensn't have a clue what cordial is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

The blackcurrant doesnt fall far from the bush does it :D

• Advertisement

We usually call it Juice at home too deftlefthand but wasnt sure people would understand me!

I think it mixes nicer when you put it in on top of the water and I know how much I need when it gets to the colour I like it at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I never knew that people said cordial. I call it diluted orange or lemon etc, by its brand name or just juice. A mixer if its in a bar setting.

No it is concentrated not diluted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

GarIT wrote: »

Yes.

Freak.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Do you do this when you are making instant coffee? I.e. fill a cup with hot water, and then spoon on some coffee granules? If there is logic behind your approach to making cordial, then it should also apply here.

No way! That doesn't make sense at all coz the granules have to dissolve but the juice doesn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Cordial has to go in on top.

I will try and get a proof of it but basically the water to cordial ratio needs to be the same always. If the cordial goes in first and then the water to cordial ratio will be wrong depending on if there is or isn't ice involved.

Putting cordial in last removes the risk of having an unsatisfying diluted drink.

Also cutlery has to go in handle first because the knife edge will over time chop through the plastic mesh type thing at the bottom of the basket. If you can't empty the cutlery basket without stabbing yourself then you deserve to be stabbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

GarIT wrote: »

MI WADI, Robinsons, dilutable orange, etc to the less posh.

BTW I do find the fact the OP puts the cutlery together, according to type, in the dishwasher a bit OTT not to mention OCD.

I am not allowed discuss …

I put handle up in dishwasher but have experienced the problem of it cutting the basket. Bit of a pain in the butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 expelliarmus

I stir tea/coffee in a clockwise direction.
    My boyfriend complains that i'm doing it wrong and i'm weird because he stirs anti-clockwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I dont take milk so cant see the point you are making. :D

you eat DRY cornflakes out of a bowl??

INSANITY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Frynge wrote: »
    Cordial has to go in on top.

I will try and get a proof of it but basically the water to cordial ratio needs to be the same always. If the cordial goes in first and then the water to cordial ratio will be wrong depending on if there is or isn't ice involved.

Putting cordial in last removes the risk of having an unsatisfying diluted drink.

Also cutlery has to go in handle first because the knife edge will over time chop through the plastic mesh type thing at the bottom of the basket. If you can't empty the cutlery basket without stabbing yourself then you deserve to be stabbed.
    Proof please......

Cordial first so it mixes with the water properly, unless you want to get something to stir it with, which is unnecessary.
    Also you can see the colour of the mixture which will tell you when you've got the right balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I can guarantee the OP is an absolute legend at Tetris.

jmayo wrote: »
    MI WADI, Robinsons, dilutable orange, etc to the less posh.

BTW I do find the fact the OP puts the cutlery together, according to type, in the dishwasher a bit OTT not to mention OCD.

No it makes for quicker putting away. Each slot in the basket is assigned to a piece so when lift the basket out I can just grab each group of forks and put them in their place in the drawer quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

jmayo wrote: »

I do this as well, it's easier tbh for loading and emptying. You don't just throw them into a drawer, do you? You separate them. It goes without saying they all face the same way in the dishwasher and in the drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm another one for cordial on top. The cordial is heavier than water so if you put it in first it sits on the bottom and you're pretty much left with just water on top. You put it in after the water and it drifts down and mixes naturally. The only way you'll get it to mix properly putting it in first is if you blast the water in after at top pressure. It will then mix fine to be fair but don't try this at home folks, especially with blackcurrant and / or when wearing a white shirt. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

After several minutes of intense investigation with some Mi Wadi:
    It mixes quicker if the water goes in afterwards. When I did it the other way around it created a purple mist that took ages to mix when left still.
    Interestingly, if you add ice cubes after the concentrate, but before the water, the two stayed in their own layers.
    I suspect the ice cubes cooled the Mi Wadi sufficiently in the time that it took me to mix in the water that the two liquids had enough difference in density to not mix. Specific gravity I think is the term.
    If the water is from the kettle it mixed fine, even when the concentrate was put in later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cutlery goes in handle down so it washes properly.
    If you stick the dirty ends into the holder then they wont get cleaned properly!

Cordial first. If ice is an issue (which it isnt, if you put water in first you have the same ratio inconsistencies!) then just put the ice in at the end?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I put handle up in dishwasher but have experienced the problem of it cutting the basket. Bit of a pain in the butt.

That's taking "anal" too far. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Cordial? Juice? It's called squash ladies and gentlemen, I don't know why but that is what we call it in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It's called "dilutin" up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Cordial? Juice? It's called squash ladies and gentlemen, I don't know why but that is what we call it in our house.
    Was just going to ask if I was the only person who called it squash.

Cordial? Well la dee daa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Baby Awesomeness

Cordial is very english, its squash here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It's called disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

Jesus Squash(brand) from the can. That brings me back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

SunDog wrote: »
    Jesus Squash(brand) from the can. That brings me back

Is that where is came from? So are you saying that they used to sell mi wadi type stuff in a can?

Is that where is came from? So are you saying that they used to sell mi wadi type stuff in a can?

mi wadi was out too but squash was the brothers favorite, little blue can with orange writing. Punch a hole in the top and make up a jugs worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I keep an empty bottle for mixing orange squash. I pour the squash to a certain point and then fill the rest of the bottle with water. Mi Wadi and Robinsons bottles are especially good for this. It tastes perfect if you pour the squash up to the where the label starts (handily there's also a little notch on the bottle) and fill the rest with water.

I find this a lot handier than trying to get the perfect squash to water ratio in a glass. Also it's handy to have it in a bottle ready to drink instead of having to go to the tap when I want another drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

SunDog wrote: »
    mi wadi was out too but squash was the brothers favorite, little blue can with orange writing. Punch a hole in the top and make up a jugs worth.

You're mixing it up with Sqeeze. Loved that stuff, was for Dad only though :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

My parents used to have a dishwasher which had a third rack just for cutlery. It was really shallow and at the top above the glasses. Very handy and got rid of the handle up/down problem by having them flat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yyeesss..., bang on. My bad. Was never a fan of any of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Your son is right, cordial first. Cutlery has to be handle up, or else you risk getting stabbed and have to touch the clean blades with possibly dirty hands when you empty the dishwasher, and get food mess on your hands trying to put in other cutlery & plates. I do not understand the putting them in handle first it's just backwards and awkward. Grr.

No head up, otherwish over time the basket will break

• Advertisement
Advertisement