Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 21-11-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

First off, I'd like to say, if this is in the wrong category, can I ask for it to be moved?

Secondly, I attend X and academically, It is a very good school, but in terms of how this school is run is an absolute horror. Some of the rules that have been brought in over the last year a ridiculous, the first and maybe not so bad, but at the same time not so understandable; We're not allowed our bags outside the class during the day, yeah, okay, doesn't sound so bad, but we could have 4 classes between breaks where we can go to our locker. Meaning we have to carry ALL the books for those classes which could be; Maths book, hardback, calculator, Irish book, Irish grammar book, dictionary, hardback, copy of Macbeth, Poetry book, English book, hardback and our pencilcase, anyone in 5th/6th year or knows people in these years will know that this is quite a lot to carry around for 2 and a half hours and gets awkward at times with students constantly dropping a lot of books. After lunch, all the toilets get locked because "we should have gone at lunch" but that is not only strange but against health and safety regulations for a school building! There are more examples of unorthodox rules but the other day was one of the worst incidents I have seen. Two of the four 5th year classes have PE at the same time but this week while my class was on our way down to get changed we were turned around and told we weren't having PE. As expected most students didn't take too kindly to this and had a little moan to themselves but there was the group of a few that wanted to know why we weren't having it, so they went to ask the teacher, who told them if they wanted to know why to ask the VP. They went to the front office, where they saw she wasn't there and they secretary came out to ask them what they needed and they said they were looking for the VP, who a few moments later walked around the corner. These students approached her to ask her but she started to scream at them for wasting "valuable secretary time" (going to the office on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday is a cardinal sin in the school) and they began to explain but she was having none of it and called the 5th year year head in and told him the four students had "attacked" her and "bullied" her and of course it was a VP against four students so they students lost and were forced to write letters of apology to the secretaries and the VP, 3 of them did this no questions asked but one tried to explain farther, and was told "If you want an opinion, there's the door"

It is disgraceful that in a school a student can be told he is not allowed to have an opinion, and me being certified in Child protection, I would go straight to the Board of Management with this as our school is a VEC school, but our principal is the head of the Board of Management, is seems kind of pointless. Does anyone know who this should be reported to as it is a breach of human rights and of child protection laws.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry - tl;dr (wall of text).
    Leaving Cert or Junior Cert?
    Let me know & I will move it to the correct forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheeRelentless

Sorry - tl;dr (wall of text).
    Leaving Cert or Junior Cert?
    Let me know & I will move it to the correct forum.

tHB

Leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Dublin County North.

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Take it to one of the parent reps on the BOM.
    I would strongly advise you to check your facts though before ranting against a named school on a public forum.

You might consider editing your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP,

I'm locking this as it's really just a rant about a particular school, and while you may indeed have reason to feel aggrieved, tbh you pretty much lose credibility when you start claiming "a breach of human rights and of child protection laws" over a head-to-head with a VP over a missed PE class.

You might want to take a few deep breaths and consider for a few minutes what kind of issues and incidents worldwide and even in Ireland in the past could be considered to be breaches of "human rights and of child protection laws", and whether this really falls into that category.

You might also ask yourself what you want from the users of this forum ... advice? If so, about what exactly?

If you wish to repost with these things in mind, and feel that you can elicit something of value from the userbase here, by all means do so.

Do not however name a particular school if you choose to do so.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement