Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky site for Water Butt

• 21-11-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

I wasn't sure if to put the question in DIY or gardening as it straddles the two.

I want to position a water butt so that it collects water which currently streams out of a pipe at roof level. The difficulty lies in attaching a downpipe to something. As you can see from the photo the roof overhangs the wall onto which we'd be fixing a downpipe. I know we could shape the downpipe back in towards the wall but it's be a tricky angle to achieve and i'd like to avoid doing that if i can. Any ideas?

All the best
    E

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

MisseyB wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if to put the question in DIY or gardening as it straddles the two.

I want to position a water butt so that it collects water which currently streams out of a pipe at roof level. The difficulty lies in attaching a downpipe to something. As you can see from the photo the roof overhangs the wall onto which we'd be fixing a downpipe. I know we could shape the downpipe back in towards the wall but it's be a tricky angle to achieve and i'd like to avoid doing that if i can. Any ideas?

All the best
    E

Is that a school??

Is there a shore/drain in the ground below that pipe???

45 degree coupler off that pipe and run a small length of pipe down flush with the slope of the roof.
    Fit another 45 degree coupler at the bottom of the roof/soffit so that you can slot in a downpipe

There should be some plywood under the soffit board.

A 90 degree stainless bracket screwed up into the ply/soffit and a gutter pipe bracket will do the job there to hold a downpipe in place.
    Then another plastic downpipe bracket screwed into the wall below the window...job done.

You will pick up a 210 litre water butt kit (barrell,stand and divertor kit) in most builders providers for 50 euro at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

MisseyB wrote: »

All the best
    E

One thing to think about is that the downpipe will be coming down in front of a window, you may not want to do that.

Is it located in the front, back side of the building? Would you consider putting a (nearly) horizontal pipe onto the existing one to move the down pipe left or right? It will look strange though, you may ne able to send it left/right if you bring the initial pipe straight down under the overhang and then send it left right as well.

Edit: Is the existing pipe vertically in line with the window frames? If so you can bring it straight down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭MisseyB

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I think the existing pipe does line up with the mullion of the window frame but i'll double check it on site.

It is a school and i was sort of hoping to avoid having to trace the downpipe around the profile of the roof because i think the roofing guy - who'll have to do it - isn't keen on that solution. But if it's the best option i suppose i'll just have to be very persuasive.

Thanks again
    E

Advertisement