Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa New Chelsea Manager . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

PeterTwo wrote: »
    If Chelsea beat FC Nordsjaelland by 7 goals are they guaranteed to go get second place in their CL group?

No it's head to head that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Some journos saying its a 18 month contract not till the end of the season .

Club site says "end of season "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

good post.
    From what pool fans have said, he will work on the defence first. Can he get a grip of the wandering Luiz?
    Things might have been so different if Cole and Terry had not got injured\banned when they did. No coincidence there i think.
    I certainly dont expect us to win the league but we should finish top four and have a cup run.
    Of course, if he does by some miracle get Torres or Danny scoring, or we sign a striker in Jan, it could be different.
    But then again, Torres will probably get yet another chance under yet another "new" manager, so Danny will want out

If he can get Traore a Champions League medal, he can improve Luiz!!! If Chelsea have some level of patience with Rafa, then he will win trophies. He may not win the League this season, or the Champions League but they will have a big say in what happens in it. Next season, if they keep him on, will be when he should deliver. Improved defense and the possibility of Falcao will leave Chelsea a very hard team to beat. Pretty sure Torres will start on Sunday as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Rafa Benitez is 5/1 with Sky Bet to leave Chelsea before the end of the season after being confirmed as interim manager at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday evening.

Sky Bet are 20/1 that Benitez is the
    next Premier League manager to lose his job and 33/1 to leave before New Year's Day.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's going to end in tears. i'm convinced he's taking the job for the severance package. "fúck it, i'm not doing anything at the moment, may as well".

everyone note down the weekend of April 20th.

Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield.

that may be the most surreal atmosphere you witness for a long, long time. i can't even imagine it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's going to end in tears. i'm convinced he's taking the job for the severance package. "fúck it, i'm not doing anything at the moment, may as well".

everyone note down the weekend of April 20th.

Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield.

that may be the most surreal atmosphere you witness for a long, long time. i can't even imagine it.

I hope he gets the reaction he deserves but I hope we beat them well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tbh I think he could get Torres firing again. This move will benfit him massively to work under Rafa again. Torres is still a quick player but when he is on the ball he slows down. He will never be as effective as his Livepool days but he should be scoring more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

What a farce that football club is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

His 'defensive' style might not be what Roman likes but I reckon he'll get Chelsea close to being Champions if not EPL winners. He can certainly spot great players and if he's allowed play his style he could bring back the mourinho era.

Cant wait for a Fergy Benitez game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zenden to be his right hand man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looking forward to hearing him say cluub again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Let's see how this works out.

I'd love to be in Rafas shoes, its a no lose situation and look what he is inheriting.
    1. Reigning European Cup and FA Cup holders.
    2. Club having spent over 89,000,000 this summer on players, some excellent young players and prospects, never mind the total over the past 2-3 years.
    3. Unlimited transfer funds.
    4. Short term deal on 84K a week apparently.
    5. Trigger happy chairman.

He would have killed someone to get those aspects in any other club he has managed.

Ultimately two things have cost Chelsea so far this year (and the domestic season is still young)
    1. John Terry or rather the lack of John Terry and all the crap that has gone on around him.
    2. Fernando Torres and his lack of goals.

I can see the John Terry thing settling down for Rafa but theres no chance he will turn around Torres' form. He'll be buying in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kippy wrote: »
    Let's see how this works out.

I'd love to be in Rafas shoes, its a no lose situation and look what he is inheriting.
    1. Reigning European Cup and FA Cup holders.
    2. Club having spent over 89,000,000 this summer on players, some excellent young players and prospects, never mind the total over the past 2-3 years.
    3. Unlimited transfer funds.
    4. Short term deal on 84K a week apparently.
    5. Trigger happy chairman.

He would have killed someone to get those aspects in any other club he has managed.

Ultimately two things have cost Chelsea so far this year (and the domestic season is still young)
    1. John Terry or rather the lack of John Terry and all the crap that has gone on around him.
    2. Fernando Torres and his lack of goals.

I can see the John Terry thing settling down for Rafa but theres no chance he will turn around Torres' form. He'll Roman will be buying in Jan.

Fixed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Fixed that.

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I assume the city chelsea game will be on tv and probably attract a much larger audience now, looking around teh net some fans are less then impressed with his appointment, could be an interesting atmosphere on sunday to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Lads, you are getting a top, top manager and it is interesting that when he took over at valencia it was similar, guts of a good team that was not able to take that final step and he made them take that final step and with the players at his disposal i can see chelsea winning the league this year IF the players get behind him and listen to his philosphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Rafa appears to be the most unpopular caretaker since Ian Huntley!

billybudd wrote: »
    Lads, you are getting a top, top manager and it is interesting that when he took over at valencia it was similar, guts of a good team that was not able to take that final step and he made them take that final step and with the players at his disposal i can see chelsea winning the league this year IF the players get behind him and listen to his philosphy.

Certainly RDM had almost everything except perhaps real tactical nous.
    But his man management was second to none coupled with a genuine love for the club, and he is was a great motivator.
    He's luck ran out though for cruical games, missing cole and then JT, and even lamps. Our initial good start was when they were all playing.
    But we went from being free scoring with a good defence to leaking goals and not able to score them.
    Benny will probably have the best squad he has ever had, so its really a time for him to show he really is a good manager, get the tactics right, the ability to change things when they arent going well and make the right subs

But his man management was second to none coupled with a genuine love for the club, and he is was a great motivator.
    He's luck ran out though for cruical games, missing cole and then JT, and even lamps. Our initial good start was when they were all playing.
    But we went from being free scoring with a good defence to leaking goals and not able to score them.
    Benny will probably have the best squad he has ever had, so its really a time for him to show he really is a good manager, get the tactics right, the ability to change things when they arent going well and make the right subs

Am sure he will be great for you guys, sickened the way he was treated at LFC and snubbed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So he's Kevin Keegan in a nice suit basically?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Leiva wrote: »

Club site says "end of season "

Aye, until the end of winter sounds about right for Chelsea

Wonder will the plastic flags be out for rafa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life there. A lone Chelsea fan holding up a 'Rafa out' sign outside their training ground on Sky Sports News.

Where the **** do these people come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

LiamoSail wrote: »
    So he's Kevin Keegan in a nice suit basically?

Keegan played better football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

First day on the job for Rafa, he issues orders for some changes.

cleflag.jpg

Anyone wrote: »
    First day on the job for Rafa, he issues orders for some changes.

cleflag.jpg

Plenty more where they came from.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT95dBPxNzIcb5f20yyJcch5hbhYwVbQ4LOmu9GWJbbUsNAgb2c6w

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

At least he'll stop doing them bloody Go Compare adverts now.

:pac:

0,,10268~11427899,00.jpg

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Plenty more where they came from.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT95dBPxNzIcb5f20yyJcch5hbhYwVbQ4LOmu9GWJbbUsNAgb2c6w

I keep all mine :D
    Plus Benny will be a nice addition as Mr September to the special managers edition of the calender that Roman is putting together (Only 3 more managers to go!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rafa is a manager who likes to control all aspects of the team. He's just joined the wrong club.

RayCon wrote: »
    Rafa is a manager who likes to control all aspects of the team. He's just joined the wrong club.

Probably every person on the planet knows what Roman and chelsea are like.
    He knows that Roman is the boss and that he is little more than a coach. He knows he will have very little if any, input, into new players
    But he also knows he will be well paid and that if he does a good job, he could be extended and that his own reputation will be enhanced if he does win things.
    Its a gamble but he's been in the wilderness for 2 years and he's no fool and he knows the real deal but also knows that he has a good squad, training facilities etc etc and the tools to win things, and wouldnt be refused any reasonable request as he and Chelsea both want to win things
    He cant lose really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Best of luck to Rafa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

People calling him "Benny"???? Really???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Melion wrote: »

Yea this one made me giggle I have to say, it sounds endearing at least unlike some of the stuff I've heard him called over the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus,he's let himself go.

GJ3EC.jpg

Has he been sacked yet?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I added a bit of text to this pic

rafa-1.jpg

zerks wrote: »
    Jaysus,he's let himself go.

GJ3EC.jpg

Has he been sacked yet?:pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgj-DQVKYSA&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Drumpot wrote: »
    For the chelsea fans that called Liverpools CL win under Rafa a fluke, did they actually watch any of chelseas champions league games last season ?

Why what Chelsea games where a fluke in last seasons CL??
    Duck Soup wrote: »
    I couldn't understand why they'd sack RDM when, since Pep was always slated to come in next summer, they could have let Robbie run down the clock till the end of the season.

RA might have thought that after the last few results the season might have unravelled on them and they might have not even qualified for the CL like last season.
    Duck Soup wrote: »
    Why sack RDM? And why hire Rafa? The only way it makes sense to me is if RA wants to prove to himself and others that Torres is in fact a still-on-fire-rootin'-tootin' goal machine. I don't think anyone realistically expects Rafa to pick up significant silverware, so it seems his sole job is to make Torres look like a reasonable buy and not the clueless overspending of a billionaire.

I highly doubt that Rafa has been brought in solely for the purpose of trying to get the best out of Torres! It could be a by product of his appointment yes, but there is no way that's the only reason he got the job!
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    His 'defensive' style might not be what Roman likes but I reckon he'll get Chelsea close to being Champions if not EPL winners. He can certainly spot great players and if he's allowed play his style he could bring back the mourinho era.

!

Are you joking me?? :eek: He spent massive money at Liverpool on bang average players and he wanted to off load Xabi Alonso for the great Gareth Barry! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I want him sacked if he doesn't win or draw this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RayCon wrote: »

Ultimately Rafa likes to know where he stands.
    He doesn't take well to being ****ed around. He called Hicks and Gillet on their bull**** and he did it again when Moratti broke promises made to him.

Demanding so much power at Liverpool might have been down to Benitez wanting power for the sake of it but a huge factor was that he didn't trust people like Rick Parry to get the job done.
    He was pissed off with constantly missing out on players. That shouldn't enter into it at Chelsea because it's not in his remit.

Gbear wrote: »
    He doesn't take well to being ****ed around. He called Hicks and Gillet on their bull**** and he did it again when Moratti broke promises made to him.

Demanding so much power at Liverpool might have been down to Benitez wanting power for the sake of it but a huge factor was that he didn't trust people like Rick Parry to get the job done.
    He was pissed off with constantly missing out on players. That shouldn't enter into it at Chelsea because it's not in his remit.

True, before him and AF fell out, AF was quoted as saying the reason he like Benitez was that he was a straight talking guy and you knew where you stood with him.

Always thought and believe that Benitez doesnt really give a **** what people think of him good or bad once he is able to do his job and that things that were promised to him are delivered.

He deserves so much better respect than the bile and hatred that is thrown at him in England and wish him the best at chelsea (although not at a cost to LFC):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Gbear wrote: »

What promises did he give if its money to spend every manager gets thats promise. I know he called them out before getting fired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I am very unhappy that this person has the Chelsea job.

Been an active attending Chelsea fan since the seventies
    and have been present at Stamford Bridge on the darkest of days like when Middlesbrough relegated us.
    Recall a cold night in the rain in December against Grimsby with a meagre attendance in the old second division.
    Then there were days like the horrible feeling we all felt when JT missed the penalty in Moscow.

But Benitez. My God. This tops the lot !
    What did us Chelsea fans do to deserve this ?

I honestly cannot support this man. Gutted. Gutted. Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Pal wrote: »
    I am very unhappy that this person has the Chelsea job.

Been an active attending Chelsea fan since the seventies
    and have been present at Stamford Bridge on the darkest of days like when Middlesbrough relegated us.
    Recall a cold night in the rain in December against Grimsby with a meagre attendance in the old second division.
    Then there were days like the horrible feeling we all felt when JT missed the penalty in Moscow.

But Benitez. My God. This tops the lot !
    What did us Chelsea fans do to deserve this ?

I honestly cannot support this man. Gutted. Gutted. Gutted.
    That's a bit over the top in fairness. He's a decent manager. Not the demigod that a certain section of fans would have you believe, he's no Mourinho or Ancelloti but he's a fair step up on Di Matteo.

I'd agree, Jose and Carlo were our best managers but Rafa certainly falls into 3rd place easily.

If hes given the time and support he'll be a success and we may not even need Pep if Rafa can deliver success which I'm sure he will.

Yes he said things while he was Liverpool manager but of course he would, Chelsea were a major rival for Liverpool in the UCL and EPL and he had more then a few run ins with us.

If Rafa can be as passionate for Chelsea as he was for Liverpool we'll reap the rewards.

Put it this way, who would ya rather right now on a short deal, Rafa or 'arry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Melion wrote: »

Is it any worse than 'Fergie'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    That's a bit over the top in fairness. He's a decent manager. Not the demigod that a certain section of fans would have you believe, he's no Mourinho or Ancelloti but he's a fair step up on Di Matteo.

Seems to be because he'd a good record against Chelsea than anything else. He'd a brilliant record in Europe while with Liverpool.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Danye wrote: »

Are you joking me?? :eek: He spent massive money at Liverpool on bang average players and he wanted to off load Xabi Alonso for the great Gareth Barry! :eek:

Well i cant remember them all but budgets he had he had to buy a lot of crap players just to do a job which kind of muddys his transfer dealings but he did buy:

Alonso
    Torres
    Reina

And not a 'troll' comment but he was the last manager I can remember that was in charge of Liverpool and they weren't an absolute laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Had to laugh at Ferguson's press conference today. Getting wound up already. I love the way Rafa gets under his skin. I wonder how long it'll take him to ring up his puppet Allardyce and concoct another fairytale. He obviously feels threatened already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement