Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa New Chelsea Manager . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Benitez isn't the greatest manager the league has ever seen, but hes a manager who's had huge success and and a master tactician. His achievements merit the position he has just been appointed to, and interms of his peers in the league, there's few can be spoken about in the same breath. The level of ridicule he receives though is IMO absolutely disgraceful for someone who's done so little to merit it, and its the result of a contrived agenda against him. Every manager gets it to some extent, but noone to the level of the fat spanish waiter, and its a level peddled only by ignorance, bias and xenophobia

Brilliant post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Honestly I've heard far more in the last few days about how Rafa is ridiculed than I ever remember hearing him actually be ridiculed.

That's either a lie or you don't take much interest in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's only ridiculed by fools tbf.

Only a handful of managers in the premiership have a better haul than him and have been in the game much longer too.

I was listening to Five Live and some moron Chelsea fan was giving out about his appointment saying he only won the Champions League on penalties and that he uses zonal marking which is proven, yes proven, to not work in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

monkey9 wrote: »

Rafa gets under Ferguson's skin. FACT! No crap to reply to.
    Depends on what your definition of getting under someone's skin is. If it's just not liking someone then yea, suppose he does.

It's funny seeing you lads fawn over him.
    It's like sitting at the edge of a bed, cheering on your ex that you're still in love with while she's bouncing up and down on someone with a bigger dick than you that doesn't give a shìt about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

LiamoSail wrote: »

Benitez isn't the greatest manager the league has ever seen, but hes a manager who's had huge success and and a master tactician. His achievements merit the position he has just been appointed to, and interms of his peers in the league, there's few can be spoken about in the same breath.

Most people outside of Liverpool fans simply don't rate him or his achievements that highly. These huge successes keep cropping up but it is always a Liverpool fan that is stating them. Obviously they know more about him than the average fan of another team.

But to another fan we have seen Benitez having had an excellent time at Valencia, winning 2 titles in 4 years. Then we see his stint at Liverpool. He took over a team placed 4th, stayed 6 seasons and left a team placed 7th. In that time he won a champions league that will always have an asterisk beside it due to Liverpool's league position at the time, and in relation to Benitez, with a squad he didn't build. He also won an F.A Cup. It's safe to say that he left Liverpool in a much worse state than he recieved them in. He was also given money to spend during his time. A normal fan may not no the in's and out's of his traumatic experience and lack of support from the owners, so that is what they see of his time with Liverpool.

He then took over the reigning European champions and was sacked within half a season, after an embarrassing run of results.

So while there are obviously reasons why Liverpool fans are convinced of Rafa's greatness, forgive the rest of us for not conforming to that view. His resume simply isn't that impressive at all to an outsider. The fact that his most impressive achievements were a decade ago doesn't help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    he won a champions league that will always have an asterisk beside it due to Liverpool's league position at the time

No it doesn't.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Depends on what your definition of getting under someone's skin is. If it's just not liking someone then yea, suppose he does.

It's like sitting at the edge of a bed, cheering on your ex that you're still in love with while she's bouncing up and down on someone with a bigger dick than you that doesn't give a shìt about her.

Still not over it? :D Time's a great healer.

Still not over it? :D Time's a great healer.
    Those 2 sentences are very appropriate in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The ex jokes were the in thing about 2009.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

All the Rafa Out signs and abuse are comical. It's not his fault he's there. He was offered the job.
    Any other club would be giving out about the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Chelsea fans are a joke to be honest.

Rafa is too good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mr Alan wrote: »

Plastic fans.

winning-moves-monopoly-chelsea-fc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zerks wrote: »

Plastic fans.

winning-moves-monopoly-chelsea-fc.jpg
    Wait....what?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

haha

Him sacked by Liverpool and Inter Milan for destroying both clubs chances of success after spending big money.

Chelsea are European champions, they deserve better than Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rafa spent €20m at Inter and made all of that back by selling Balotelli, who was by no means the only outgoing player while at Inter.

He spent big money at Liverpool anyway. And had a world class squad at Inter, yet both ended terribly . Hes a good manager, not CL level anymore. I'd far rather Moyes. The media also hate Benitez which makes things harder when hes your manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

DB10 wrote: »
    He spent big money at Liverpool anyway. And had a world class squad at Inter, yet both ended terribly . Hes a good manager, not CL level anymore. I'd far rather Moyes. The media also hate Benitez which makes things harder when hes your manager.

NET SPEND!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hard to stay at Inter when you fall out with the owner. Has nothing to do with his ability as a manager..

Or the fact you turn the treble winning, European champions into a hopeless mid table side.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

The ex jokes were the in thing about 2009.
    Analogy man, if you thought it was an attempt to be funny but outdated that's your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Or the fact you turn the treble winning, European champions into a hopeless mid table side.

what a load of tosh, inter were 4th with 23 points when they went off to play in the world club championship

must be the only manager to win two trophies and be sacked in 5 months........inter have done fantastically well since :D

a manager who has won the uefa cup, 2 la liga titles with a team not named barca/real, a champions league, another final is not good enough for chelsea, i have heard it all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

"Abramovich needs to understand that Chelsea fans are sick of the managerial merry-go-round, especially when the latest sacking is of a man who had done more right than wrong. If the rumours are true that Guardiola's preference is to manage at Old Trafford, then Roman has got exactly what he deserves."

bbc text - cant argue with that

He's taking the place of a club legend and much loved manager who has brought them the Champions League trophy they desired. They are not happy with his appointment and are making it known.

Just because you and the majority of Liverpool fans seem to think they should be lucky to have him means f**k all to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He's taking the place of a club legend and much loved manager who has brought them the Champions League trophy they desired. They are not happy with his appointment and are making it known.

Just because you and the majority of Liverpool fans seem to think they should be lucky to have him means f**k all to them.

Why take it out on him though, why not take it out on the person who sacked the club legend and much loved manager.

niallo27 wrote: »

Why take it out on him though, why not take it out on the person who sacked the club legend and much loved manager.
    Probably because he could f**k off and leave them in a mess.
    He's in an untouchable position because they would be nowhere without him.
    Chelsea fans in the vast majority are I imagine pissed off with Abramovich but you won't see Roman out banners because they know the potential consequences.

Maybe their thinking is Benitez might f**k off if he knows he's not wanted or Abramovich might listen to them.
    It's a fair point niallo, I'm not in the camp that thinks Benitez is a poor manager but can see why they might not want him also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

They are booing Benitez because they know that the free style of Chelsea is going to descend into a team that isn't going to be all that attractive as it was.

Also he was very poor at Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Villa fans didn't even boo Mcleish in his first game, no excuses for the Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

JPA wrote: »
    The Villa fans didn't even boo Mcleish in his first game, no excuses for the Chelsea fans.

They did actually. I remember it well. Most were not best pleased.

Rafa is overated, but he is twice the manager of McLeish. Booing him this early is unfair....but that's football.

Probably because he could f**k off and leave them in a mess.
    He's in an untouchable position because they would be nowhere without him.
    Chelsea fans in the vast majority are I imagine pissed off with Abramovich but you won't see Roman out banners because they know the potential consequences.

Maybe their thinking is Benitez might f**k off if he knows he's not wanted or Abramovich might listen to them.
    It's a fair point niallo, I'm not in the camp that thinks Benitez is a poor manager but can see why they might not want him also.

Its a common misconception that if or when Roman gets bored, he will just pack up and go, leaving Chelsea with a pile of debts and bust.
    Theres no way that would happen, Chelsea would have an exit strategy that would enable it to continue, abit a lot more in the real world.
    Sponsership is at an all time high and we have just made a profit.
    Chelsea are constantly searching for ways to be weaned off Romans cash, such as a new stadium\increased capacity
    And thats assuming that all the anti chelseaites are right and he does get bored. Theres no sign of that after this many years, and sacking RDM was another indication that he wants more and more success
    And the fans are sending a message to Roman that are not happy with his choice
    Of course its a pact with the devil, but he's our devil, and I'd much rather our position than any other team, save Man City.
    Utd - a cash cow for americans
    Arsenal - a barca\city\utd feeder club whos lack of ambition means the bankers are happy but the trophy cabinet is empty
    Liverpool - following Arsenals example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kirby wrote: »

They did actually. I remember it well. Most were not best pleased.

Rafa is overated, but he is twice the manager of McLeish. Booing him this early is unfair....but that's football.

No they didn't, he got polite applause.

• Advertisement

They are booing Benitez because they know that the free style of Chelsea is going to descend into a team that isn't going to be all that attractive as it was.

A taste of things to come today,one of the worst games I've seen in a long long time....Super Sunday my arse.

I'm not saying they will go bust but they probably wouldn't get someone in the same mould as Roman.
    Someone that might treat it as a business and not a personal project without care of profit or loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Its a common misconception that if or when Roman gets bored, he will just pack up and go, leaving Chelsea with a pile of debts and bust.

I think that Roman had termed much of his investment in Chelsea as a loan which meant Chelsea FC were about 600m in debt to him. Recently that was modified as an investment so if Roman left, Chelsea would be in good shape as they would have little or no debt; unless of course they were sold to a Glazeresque buyer! I think the Premier League have put rules in place to prevent such a purchase taking place again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think the boos are telling. Chelsea fans finally waking up from their naive dream that they matter in the slightest in the eyes of RA, or that they have any control over what happens at the club. Chelsea is his club, his toy and he will do with it exactly what he wants.

The boos reflect the anger they feel towards themselves, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

But apparently there will always be an asterisk beside the CL win because of their league position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Joke?? Idiots more like, the worst set of fans ever. Why don't the idiots take it out on RM, to scared he will go running off with his money and see little Chelsea fall apart. Plenty of chairmen over the years have hired managers that fans didn't rate, but you what the difference is with those clubs and Chelsea is they supported the manager and team and gave him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

micks wrote: »
    But apparently there will always be an asterisk beside the CL win because of their league position

Don't think there is an asterisk on the trophy or on the medals the players picked up! Not even on JT's medal! :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think the boos are telling. Chelsea fans finally waking up from their naive dream that they matter in the slightest in the eyes of RA, or that they have any control over what happens at the club. Chelsea is his club, his toy and he will do with it exactly what he wants.

The boos reflect the anger they feel towards themselves, really.

lol, I dont think so. We pretty much know the defination of the word owner, much the same as we did with Bates, when he kept us behind electric fences!
    and the same goes for pretty much every club. fans have no real power but its nice to play fantasy football.

Also, the EPL needs people like Roman with his money to buy top players, otherwise it wouldnt be the exciting brand it is and every team would be like stoke or arsenal!

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Joke?? Idiots more like, the worst set of fans ever. Why don't the idiots take it out on RM, to scared he will go running off with his money and see little Chelsea fall apart. Plenty of chairmen over the years have hired managers that fans didn't rate, but you what the difference is with those clubs and Chelsea is they supported the manager and team and gave him a chance.

Your missing the point entirely. Roman has hired and fired some of best coaches in the modern game even when they have delivered.
    Including the best one ever - Mourinho.

And now we are stuck with Benny, who found his level at Liverpool and 2 lucky cup wins

Your missing the point entirely. Roman has hired and fired some of best coaches in the modern game even when they have delivered.

And now we are stuck with Benny, who found his level at Liverpool and 2 lucky cup wins

You writing him off already after 1 game ? A draw against the Champions.

Were you one of the ones holding up a banner today? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

You writing him off already after 1 game ? A draw against the Champions.

Were you one of the ones holding up a banner today? :-)
    He's no Mourinho rarnes1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't wait for the first "Abramovich Out" banners to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

and who did he beat on the way to both of those, would have been 3 only for gerrards own goal in the league cup final

lucky cup wins.....i would look a little closer to home there, try chelsea last year ;)

Pj! wrote: »
    He's no Mourinho rarnes1.

Don't think anyone said he was.

He's still a top manager and deserves a shot and not to be abused from match going fans on his first game.

Can't wait for the first "Abramovich Out" banners to appear.

I think say even the most brain dead fan wouldn't chance that!

rossie1977 wrote: »

and who did he beat on the way to both of those, would have been 3 only for gerrards own goal in the league cup final

lucky cup wins.....i would look a little closer to home there, try chelsea last year ;)

People who use lucky cup wins as a stick to beat a manager.... A great filtering system in here

Taken from TheShedEnd,
    Drog, on 22 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:
    We won't get our soul back until Abrahmovic leaves. But then when when he leaves we won't be challenging for trophies as often. It's a Catch 22 situation and it's just down to what's more important for you as a fan - trophies or dignity.

Englishman Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:56 PM,
    Gotta feel for Liverpool fans then. They don't have either....

The first bit is true,the 2nd made me lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

lol, I dont think so. We pretty much know the defination of the word owner, much the same as we did with Bates, when he kept us behind electric fences!
    and the same goes for pretty much every club. fans have no real power but its nice to play fantasy football.

Also, the EPL needs people like Roman with his money to buy top players, otherwise it wouldnt be the exciting brand it is and every team would be like stoke or arsenal!

Arsenal?

Is this trolling?

Chelsea fans have already come up with this...

http://until-rafa-goes.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

`
    They loved Jose and his football was a lot more negative than Rafa's.

Advertisement