Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa New Chelsea Manager . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

And then get sacked :D

Yep, you're bang on there buddy. And that sums up your club

Rafa is a proven better manager than Guardiola. Chelsea and their fans are funny!

Can you imagine if Rafa accused someone of attempted murder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

monkey9 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Rafa accused someone of attempted murder??
    Can you imagine if Fergie did??
    Oh wait... he did and nobody has shut the f**k up about it for the past 12 hours across multiple threads. Leading me to the conclusion it would probably be just the same if Rafa did.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Fergie did??
    Oh wait... he did and nobody has shut the f**k up about it for the past 12 hours across multiple threads. Leading me to the conclusion it would probably be just the same if Rafa did.

Oh right..........he's cracking up etc etc etc!

monkey9 wrote: »

Oh right..........he's cracking up etc etc etc!
    Yea man etc. etc. etc.

Yea man etc. etc. etc.

Aw sh!t, did I forget to add where he's laughing into his glass of wine? Etc etc etc

So Liverpool fans, how does this fit into Agent Rafa's masterplan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

So Liverpool fans, how does this fit into Agent Rafa's masterplan?

Lure us Chelsea fans into a sense of false security. Hasn't fooled me for a minute. :pac:

• Advertisement

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Lure us Chelsea fans into a sense of false security. Hasn't fooled me for a minute. :pac:

And what does Chelsea's league position have to do with Liverpool's? :pac:

Some Liverpool fans new found fondness for Chelsea is priceless.
    The same folk who were sticking the boot in about plastic fans with no history, turning up in match threads when things were not going their way.
    It's like they have adopted Chelsea as their second team now.

When you take a step back and look at it, it really does beggar belief. Instead of hoping they crash and burn and drop into the fight for 3rd and 4th, where they hope to be involved themselves fairly soon, they are in reality cheering on a team to consolidate a top 3, leaving 1 CL space to fight over for the rest.
    Hard to get my head around that one tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Some Liverpool fans new found fondness for Chelsea is priceless.
    The same folk who were sticking the boot in about plastic fans with no history, turning up in match threads when things were not going their way.
    It's like they have adopted Chelsea as their second team now.

When you take a step back and look at it, it really does beggar belief. Instead of hoping they crash and burn and drop into the fight for 3rd and 4th, where they hope to be involved themselves fairly soon, they are in reality cheering on a team to consolidate a top 3, leaving 1 CL space to fight over for the rest.
    Hard to get my head around that one tbh.

Who has a fondness for Chelsea? I still can't stand them as a club, can't stand a few of their players, their owner is a disgrace as are a lot of the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Chelsea diehards will be eating out of Rafa's hands in a week.

Melion wrote: »

Who has a fondness for Chelsea? I still can't stand them as a club, can't stand a few of their players, their owner is a disgrace as are a lot of the fans.
    But you still want them to do well because Rafa is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dont you know by now if 1 Liverpool fan says something off the wall then its all Liverpool fans saying it

• Advertisement

Dont you know by now if 1 Liverpool fan says something off the wall then its all Liverpool fans saying it
    I said SOME Liverpool fans in my post, might want to read before jumping in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I said SOME Liverpool fans in my post, might want to read before jumping in there.

"some" - how long is a piece of string ?

Best to direct quote the one person, no?

Leiva wrote: »

"some" - how long is a piece of string ?

Best to direct quote the one person, no?
    I know who they are, that's all that matters to me. I'm pretty sure others have noticed it too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I would love to see Rafa win the league even if it meant Chelsea did too. It would vindicate my long held view that he is in the top bracket, and would make fools of all the idiots I had to listen to over the years who said that he didn't have what it took our have the tactical nous to win it. It was almost like people really thought Rafa was holding Liverpool back and not the other way around.

Liverpool are not in the chase so it makes no odds to me which of united, city, or Chelsea win it. None of them are my " second club".

But you still want them to do well because Rafa is there?

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I want rafa to do well but I'd have no problem seeing chelsea being relegated to league 2.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    I would love to see Rafa win the league even if it meant Chelsea did too. It would vindicate my long held view that he is in the top bracket, and would make fools of all the idiots I had to listen to over the years who said that he didn't have what it took our have the tactical nous to win it. It was almost like people really thought Rafa was holding Liverpool back and not the other way around.

Liverpool are not in the chase so it makes no odds to me which of united, city, or Chelsea win it. None of them are my " second club".
    Your first line contradicts your last paragraph.

Your first line contradicts your last paragraph.

Read it again, a few times if necessary.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I want rafa to do well but I'd have no problem seeing chelsea being relegated to league 2.
    I just find that strange. If Fergie took over Chelsea/City I'd want him to fail, badly. If he took over Wigan/Reading or similar I'd want him to do well.

spockety wrote: »

Read it again, a few times if necessary.
    But it does make odds to you if you would love to see Rafa win it. It's obviously Chelsea you would prefer to win the league.

The club is irrelevant. He just happens to be managing Chelsea. You may not see the logic, no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Church of Rafa - wherever he goes we will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I just find that strange. If Fergie took over Chelsea/City I'd want him to fail, badly. If he took over Wigan/Reading or similar I'd want him to do well.

As he said, Liverpool are not competing with Chelsea, so in that respect it makes no odds to him.

It's a perfectly valid point though. A lot, probably most, Liverpool fans backed Rafa to the very end (and beyond) when he was there. They adamantly maintained that he was/is a top manager, and IMO he certainly is that. If he somehow managed to win the league with Chelsea then their claims would be proven correct beyond any doubt.

It's perfectly understandable in that sense IMO.

Chelsea are nothing to Liverpool. We are so far away from them and the Manchesters that Chelseas league performance has no effect on Liverpool. We are not challenging the top 3 this season so I'd like wish Rafa all the best. Of course if he was to win the league the British press and therefore posters here would say he only won it because of the money available at Chelsea.

Essien wrote: »

As he said, Liverpool are not competing with Chelsea, so in that respect it makes no odds to him.

It's a perfectly valid point though. A lot, probably most, Liverpool fans backed Rafa to the very end (and beyond) when he was there. They adamantly maintained that he was/is a top manager, and IMO he certainly is that. If he somehow managed to win the league with Chelsea then their claims would be proven correct beyond any doubt.

It's perfectly understandable in that sense IMO.
    It's in their best interest that Chelsea continue in the same vein as last season in the league.
    The goal for them is to be back in that top 4, competing for better transfers and ultimately competing for a title, that has to be the long term plan for a club of their history and stature.

Competing alongside Chelsea and others for 2 places is better than competing below Chelsea, alongside others for 1 place.

It's in their best interest that Chelsea continue in the same vein as last season in the league.
    The goal for them is to be back in that top 4, competing for better transfers and ultimately competing for a title, that has to be the long term plan for a club of their history and stature.

Competing alongside Chelsea and others for 2 places is better than competing below Chelsea, alongside others for 1 place.

Chelsea were never going to finish that low again this season. Arsenal and spurs are who we should be aiming for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Church of Rafa - wherever he goes we will follow
    Would you have him at city Xavi?

This is the reality though. I don't mean to sound cocky but it's unlikely that Liverpool will be direct competitors to Chelsea for a top 4 place this season, most reasonable 'Pool fans will concede that. The clubs long term goal doesn't come into it.

Would you have him at city Xavi?

Now that would be a worrying thought. Rafa with that money would dominate English football for as long as he wanted.

Chelsea were never going to finish that low again this season. Arsenal and spurs are who we should be aiming for.
    Liverpool were 4 points off Chelsea before yesterday's game. Yea they had 2 games in hand but I'd be hoping they lost them and be pissed off when they won, not lauding their performance.
    Chelsea had a good start to the season but had been poor a while, I'd just be hoping they continued that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Now that would be a worrying thought. Rafa with that money would dominate English football for as long as he wanted.

Just when I thought the thread couldnt get any funnier. WP sir!

Liverpool were 4 points off Chelsea before yesterday's game. Yea they had 2 games in hand but I'd be hoping they lost them and be pissed off when they won, not lauding their performance.
    Chelsea had a good start to the season but had been poor a while, I'd just be hoping they continued that.

With the players at their disposal and the January window upon us, do you really think they would have struggled this season?

A distinctly average manager won the league last season, one of the best managers in world football would have won that title at a canter last season.

But you can hope a team loses, be pissed when they win and still laud their winning performance.

I'm sure they'd all be more than happy to catch up on us but hoping something and knowing something are two different things.

A distinctly average manager won the league last season, one of the best managers in world football would have won that title at a canter last season.

Ah now this is not what you said is it? Dominate English football for as long as he wanted is what you said. Hillarious statement. The fanboyism for Rafa is just too funny.

• Advertisement

He's not even wrong, let alone funny.

Ah now this is not what you said is it? Dominate English football for as long as he wanted is what you said. Hillarious statement. The fanboyism for Rafa is just too funny.

Why is it hilarious?
    An average manager won the title, even a United fan can recognise that Rafa would have had that title wrapped up before the game at Eastlands. With ridiculous amounts of money to spend he would have only made that team stronger, do you think Scott Sinclair and Jack Rodwell would have been signed by him?

He's not even wrong, let alone funny.

Comical stuff.

Comical stuff.

Want to actually add to the discussion or are you just here for the mega lOlZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Rafa isn't even in the top 3 managers in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Benitez just isn't good enough to challenge for the premiership. He might be good enough for Liverpool (you'd swear the guy walked on water) and offer a chance at 4th place every now and then. But for a club with realistic title hopes it needs to be Pep or Mourinho.

It's amusing watching the Liverpool fans pipe up with "See, we told you. He's great. His heart belongs in Liverpool. He doesn't want to be on Chelsea" every time he gets a result. But the reality is he is only a stop-gap for a proper world class manager.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Benitez just isn't good enough to challenge for the premiership.

Apart from that time he challenged for the premiership obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Apart from that time he challenged for the premiership obviously.

Correction. Win the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Correction. Win the premiership.

Do the titles he won in Spain count, I hear that Madrid crowd and barca are decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Rafa isn't even in the top 3 managers in england

Who is your third manager?.

Benitez just isn't good enough to challenge for the premiership. He might be good enough for Liverpool (you'd swear the guy walked on water) and offer a chance at 4th place every now and then. But for a club with realistic title hopes it needs to be Pep or Mourinho.

It's amusing watching the Liverpool fans pipe up with "See, we told you. He's great. His heart belongs in Liverpool. He doesn't want to be on Chelsea" every time he gets a result. But the reality is he is only a stop-gap for a proper world class manager.

What has Pep done that Rafa hasn't?

• Advertisement
Advertisement