Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy Pasta

Options
  • 21-11-2012 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good recepie for a spicy pasta sauce with chicken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

This recipe for penne with creamy Cajun sauce and blackened chicken has a bit of a kick to it, plus you can add more/less of the spice mix depending on how spicy you want it!

To start with, the Cajun spice mix is 2tbsp cayenne pepper, 1tbsp paprika, 1tbsp garlic salt, 1tbsp of black and 1 of white pepper, 1tbsp of cumin and 1tbsp of dried oregano.

To make the sauce, mix up a roux of approx. 30g flour and butter in a saucepan until it comes together in a pastry-like lump. Then add in 2 finely diced peppers and 500 ml of chicken stock, and let it simmer away for about 30 mins.

When the sauce is almost ready stick on your pasta. Take chicken breasts (I used 3) and butterfly them, dip them in melted butter then dip them into some of the Cajun spice mix. Fry on a very, very hot griddle pan for about 5 minutes either side.

At the very end add cream and Cajun spice mix to the sauce to taste, and its ready to serve on a bed of penne.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Here's my basic spicy tomato pasta sauce:

Ingredients:
    Thumb of chorizo, chopped small
    Tin of Chopped Tomatoes (plain 45c ones for Lidl are actually excellent)
    Table Spoon Tomato Puree (same lidl stuff again, brand is Nostia)
    Garlic, Basil (fresh or dried), 1 x Small Chilli (birds eye for example),Salt & Pepper
    Olive Oil (a nice bit for the start and a drizzle for the end)
    Sugar (a small tablespoon)

Method:
    In a heavy bottom saucepan, gently simmer chopped chorizo in oil till the oil turns nice & red.
    Add chopped garlic and half a chopped birds eye chilli and fry till garlic starts to smell up the place (extractor fans are for girly men ;))
    Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and turn up the heat. I always wash out the empty tin with approx 100ml of water and add to the pan - waste not want not!
    Stir in the tomato puree and then the rest of the ingredients to taste except the basil, hold off on most of that till the end.
    When the sauce comes to the boil, turn down and allow to simmer uncovered for about 30mins or so or until the tomatoes have broken down.

Some people like to add some red wine if you have a bit sloshing around (I freeze left over red wine in ice trays for this) and others add a dash of cream to mellow it out just before serving - experiment!

Anyway, usually i add fried and drained mince to this for spag bol but it's an excellent base sauce for loads of stuff. The recipe and freezes perfectly (sans cream) so once you're happy with how you make it you can make bigger batches and freeze off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Ive been trying to make a nice spicy pasta sauce for ages and was never happy with how they turned out but last week I got it right. I used a can of cherry tomatoes instead of normal ones and it made all the difference imo. Here it is:

Fry of half an onion in olive oil, add 3 cloves of garlic and one chilli near the end and fry for another minute or 2. Add all that to a blender with a can of cherry tomatoes and a bit of basil and blend. Then heat contents in a saucepan and season with salt an pepper. Really easy and it was lovely and hot! I had it with chorizo and chicken, i didnt add the chorizo to the sauce until the very end as I find if you add it will the sauce is simmering in the pan the chorizo over powers the sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Tin of Chopped Tomatoes (plain 45c ones for Lidl are actually excellent)
    They also do a can of tomatoes "Al Arriabata" - which are also good for a sauce with a kick.

Advertisement