Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamarind Closed Down [Reopening]

Options
  • 21-11-2012 9:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭

Just seen tamarind have closed down, they have a notice on there door saying they have ceased trading. Anyone know why, always thought it was the busiest restaurant in Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'd imagine high rent- although I haven't seen that theyre relocating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

if they were moving reckon they would have a sign up saying they were moving. still though high rent or not they turned me away a few times recently as the restaurant was full

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

Very surprised by this. Always looked like they did great business every time I was there or going past. Unfortunately, if it is rent, this is yet more proof that rents remain untenable here in Galway and need to come down before more businesses suffer the same fate! It's sad because this place did lovely food in a great location!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

this is yet more proof that rents remain untenable here in Galway and need to come down before more businesses suffer the same fate!

Council rates are also a major overhead and aren't negotiable so can put a business under if the finances are under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

It wasnt rent or rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does anyone have any actual information on what happened, like a source?
    Otherwise it just rumours/speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

T'was the illuminati.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

Hardly a surprise. With the amount of Groupon deals they have been doing over the past year, the writing was on the wall. They shouldn't have needed to do them so often given their location.

T'was the illuminati.
    Call me dumb but what does this mean? Some kind of free mason/di vinchi craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Call me dumb but what does this mean? Some kind of free mason/di vinchi craic?

I read it as a joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

inisboffin wrote: »
    I read it as a joke...

Illuminati are no joke, I assure you. The invisible hand at work once more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

What's the incentive for landlords/council to charge such high rates? If a busy restaurant can't afford it who do they think is going to come in and meet their demands? Now instead of having Tamarind paying what they were paying, they have an empty premises making them €0.00. I know it's a simplistic approach but it doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Hmm, at the SCCUL Awards last week there was an empty table with a sign on it that I think said "XXX trading as Tamarind" (I can't remember the XXX bit, but it was initials and "Foods" I think), they didn't show up at all as far as I know, no wonder if they were about to close down.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I read it as a joke...
    Sorry, I must've left my sense of humour at home yesterday. I was searching for some real life conspiracy theory :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Hoping this isn't off topic too much, but since were on the subjects of rents, how come it's so hard for the government to 'not interfere' with commercial rents and at the same time, put rent allowance recipients and their landlords under such pressure to drop rents??

There's no real will to tackle this issue on a political level. In Athenry we've nigh on 30 empty shops (it really fell's like almost half the town is empty units) and when the recession bit, a few business's played musical shop units to get a more sustainable rent. They were able to get up to a 50% drop in rent. It feel's like there are very few owner occupiers anymore! How can a person run a business that can raise a family anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mufan

i and my family have bought those groupon vouchers and im so angry that we are going to be out that money iv sent an email to living social but im sure like everything else it will take them an age to reply and they will deny liability. Sure to god that the owners knew back in October that business was in trouble, yet they were allowed to advertise with groupon and take customers money knowing that they would probably be not in business in the forseable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Hmm, at the SCCUL Awards last week there was an empty table with a sign on it that I think said "XXX trading as Tamarind" (I can't remember the XXX bit, but it was initials and "Foods" I think), they didn't show up at all as far as I know, no wonder if they were about to close down.

It's LG Foods, there's a notice of a meeting of creditors to appoint a liquidator on Vision-Net.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Greaney wrote: »
    Hoping this isn't off topic too much, but since were on the subjects of rents, how come it's so hard for the government to 'not interfere' with commercial rents and at the same time, put rent allowance recipients and their landlords under such pressure to drop rents???

There's probably a better forum for this (though I'm not sure what it is) .. . but I suspect that part of the answer is that the government is not generally subsidising rents for commercial premises, while it is providing considerable subsidies to those "lucky" enough to qualify for rent-allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I loved the spot and it was always full, deals or no deals turnover was high. The reason they had alot of voucher deals was probably to rake in the cash before closing. high tail it out of there then. This isn't definite just me speculating. A few businesses that have closed did this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mufan

crusher000 wrote: »
    I loved the spot and it was always full, deals or no deals turnover was high. The reason they had alot of voucher deals was probably to rake in the cash before closing. high tail it out of there then. This isn't definite just me speculating. A few businesses that have closed did this in the past.
    Surely to god businesses cannot do this take up these voucher deals rake in the cash knowing they cannot honour them in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

mufan wrote: »
    i and my family have bought those groupon vouchers and im so angry that we are going to be out that money iv sent an email to living social but im sure like everything else it will take them an age to reply and they will deny liability. Sure to god that the owners knew back in October that business was in trouble, yet they were allowed to advertise with groupon and take customers money knowing that they would probably be not in business in the forseable future.
    i know with some of these deals the business gets no money until the voucher is redeemed that is why the are so careful in getting voucher information when you use them so you should be able to get your money back.

Happened to an Aunt of mine two years ago. Bought a gift voucher for a colleague she worked with in a business across the road from them. It closed down two days later (I kid you not). When the trades men came to take out the fittings inside the business she got in and confronted the owner. Told she was trespassing and to get out. Story didn't end their as my aunt followed the person to their home. Refused to leave from outside the house until she got her money back. This business knew they were closing and sold as many vouchers as they dould before they finished trading. Cash in the hand boys and good luck to the plebs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Happened to an Aunt of mine two years ago. Bought a gift voucher for a colleague she worked with in a business across the road from them. It closed down two days later (I kid you not).

Was that a Galway business ??? Has the person set up another since?

Yes it was a Galway business. Not sure if they are trading again. My aunt got the money so the person involved could get her of their lawn. I'm not saying this is what Tamaring has done, as Living Social will most likely refund voucher money, but if they knew they were closing introduce a deal, foot fall will increase, vouchers honored will be paid to them and they have increased their takings before they pull the plug.

I'd be more interested in finding out whether that fraudster who tried to diddle your aunt was back for another few scoops. I have heard of serious issues with Livingsocial and refunds but you can charge back your credit card. :(

Off subject as well but let this be a lesson to people buying vouchers as gifts for Christmas. Why not just give cash or buy the one for all gift vouchers?. Unscrupulous traders will home in on the gift voucher trade and then close the doors. Despicable.

Unscrupulous traders will home in on the gift voucher trade and then close the doors. Despicable.

Gift vouchers are to be avoided this christmas save from very long established stores and restaurants, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Gift vouchers are to be avoided this christmas save from very long established stores and restaurants, for sure.

I remember hearing on Gerry Ryan about a guy who had bought his wife €700 worth of a voucher for one of the Travel companies to celebrate the birth of their baby, he bought it in cash, and the company was gone very soon after. He contacted Gerry to see what he could do, but there was nothing. If he'd paid by credit card he might have been able to get it back, but the cash was just gone. I only ever get people One4All's or for not very big amounts, €20-40 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

mufan wrote: »
    Surely to god businesses cannot do this take up these voucher deals rake in the cash knowing they cannot honour them in the future.

No the voucher companies keep the money until the voucher is redeemed.
    So livingsocial and co have the money.
    Their terms say they will refund if the merchant goes out of business so you should get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What's the incentive for landlords/council to charge such high rates?

The rates are decided in Dublin not by the local council, so they don't have much of a say in the matter. When there's arrears in the past they have come to agreements regarding settling the debt for a lower amount, but I believe this practice is no longer allowed.
    There's probably a better forum for this (though I'm not sure what it is) .. . but I suspect that part of the answer is that the government is not generally subsidising rents for commercial premises, while it is providing considerable subsidies to those "lucky" enough to qualify for rent-allowance.

Probably best to ask in legal, but my take on it is that there is a contact to pay a certain rent or lease and the state cannot interfere with it as long as it's not illegal.

It's also worth pointing out that it's unconstitutional for a law to be retroactively applied, so if a current lease/contract has a no downward negotiation clause, then the contract/lease has to expire before it can change.

Advertisement